Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, on my way into work this morning I am cruising along at 60Mph in my 2002 Kia Sportage. when suddenly BANG and the rear brakes locked up. I think it was only the rear brakes at least. Lasted for about 2 seconds and released. :eek: I did not have my foot on the brake when it happened. So after collecting myseld and cleaning out my underpants. I pulled over to the shoulder and realized my brake pedal was mush. All the way to the floor. So I used the E-brake which operated as normal. I got out and the drivers side rear tire was smoking a little. Nothing obvious to me on the side of the road. I was about a mile from work so I decided to try to limp it in. After 1/4 mile down the road I tried the brake pedal and it is fine! Not mushy and operating as normal. No check engine lights during this time at all.

The only thing out of the norm was I had my front locking hubs locked in as I needed 4W yesterday (Manual Hubs) but the transfer case was not engaged.

Any thoughts? Trying to decide if I need to have it towed or what?

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,173 Posts
If I had to guess, it sounds like (?) bound up in the front diff or transfer case, hence the "bang!" ..

But that should not cause loss of brake pressure in itself: it also sounds like you had a rear brake shoe hung up / wheel cylinder overheat..

You really need to get all brakes and lines (calipers, master cylinder -> rear distribution block -> rear wheel cylinders) checked out..

re: limp home or tow: I'd jack up each wheel and make sure each is turning freely - if not, tow it.

If brake pedal play is excessive or "mushy" - tow it.

Your eBrake is not designed to stop the Sporty at any highway speed, relying on it to stop the vehicle is dangerous,

* Don't chance your life or others on the cost of a tow, it's not worth the risk.

Hope this helps,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solved

So as it turns out, I appear to be the victim of Manufacturer defect. One of the rear drivers side brake shoes separated from it;s steel backing and was loose in the hub. Must have caught just right and locked the tire briefly. When that happened, there was virtually no resistance for the wheel cylinder. Hence no pedal. eventually I pumped it up enough and there was pedal again. Though by that time it had blown the wheel cylinder. I feel much better knowing what the cause was. But since it's on my buddies lift. It's getting the works. New Brake cylinders/shoes/pads/calipers/Rear Shocks/ Rear Springs/Brake Lines all around.

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,173 Posts
I've had that happen also on other vehicles (brake lining separating from shoe), it's a lousy and expensive deal. But it sounds like you are getting it fixed up right, it's been my experience as well to just do the whole works at the same time, then you know it's good to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts