Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
02 Rio 5 spd base
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 Rio base model, just did my 2nd oil change, used same FRAM filter that I did last time. Only difference is I used Valvoline (not sure if this makes a difference for my issue) I made my 80 mile round trip to work twice. Today I started my car, and it was fine. Put it in gear, and got to the end of my driveway where I (as usual) put it in neutral so I could coast down the hill to the end of the road. I hit a little bump in the road, heard a metal on metal type of clang, and my car shut off. Tried turning it back on, but it didn't want to start. Sounds like it's trying to fire every once in a while, cranks fine, motor shudders (bad mounts i think). Any ideas on what it might be? Doesn't sound any different on the 1st three cranks (normally fires right up after that), but past that it sounds like the battery gets weak really fast.

Any ideas or recommendations would be helpful and appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
Does anything look like it's broken? If the engine mounts are bad, maybe some part of the ignition system has torn a wire etc. Was it more than a "little bump"; engine should be able to withstand a fair bit.

Not sure if I approve of coasting down the hill. Better to warm up the engine by driving it normally. Is the car manual or auto? It's not a good idea to coast an auto in neutral (same reason you aren't supposed to tow an auto).

·
Registered
02 Rio 5 spd base
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it wasn't too bad a bump, just a pothole in the road. I couldn't see anything broken torn frayed etc... I've heard horror stories about the timing belts on these things, idk when it was changed last, I just bought it and have already put about 8k on it, but I think I'd be able to tell if the pistons were hittin my valves.... unfortunately it's 2 a.m. here and I need to wait till sunrise to be able to see anything properly.

·
Registered
02 Rio 5 spd base
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update for you. Took the code reader to it and got a cps malfunction. took off the timing belt cover, and the belt is still intact, and looks like it's not even too warn. Could it have jumped a tooth? Still haven't seen anything broken, what else could it be? Where is my cps located?

·
Registered
89 Isuzu trooper, Subaru Forester
5 Posts
Just because the timing belt looks good on the top doesn't mean the bottom of the belt is ok. You need to spin the motor by hand and see if it turns freely, If not you might have blown your engine from using fram oil filter. Fram and Kia do not mix well together. These are not known for having crankshaft or camshaft sensor problems.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
+1 on FRAM... Cardboard insides.
Put a wooden dowel rod down in each of the four spark plug holes and manually turn over the engine to make sure a piston or rod hasn't come loose ( heard a metal on metal type of clang)..
I also go along with a full inspection of the cam/timing belt.
Dave

·
Registered
02 Rio 5 spd base
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your help so far, and I apologize it was a CAM code. p0340. Replaced the sensor hoping for the best, but no solution came from it. I checked the timing belt, checked for spark, and for fuel. I don't have a compression gauge anymore. Most my tools have disappeared on me. It still cranks fine, and even sounds as though it would like to fire, but doesn't. I will definitely try to turn the motor by hand. I am using the same filter that I did last time and had no problem in 4,000 miles. This time I got about 80 out of it. When I crank the motor I don't hear anything out of the ordinary, but I can definitely feel it's time for new mounts. Dave can you elaborate on this wooden dowel comment? I've never heard of doing anything like that. What am I supposed to see hear or feel?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
Dowel: Integrity check. You're finding whether the pistons are actually moving up and down, and finding when they are at the top of their stroke, so you can get a handle on the timing.

·
Registered
02 Rio 5 spd base
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wooden dowel... I'm assuming it got tight on my compression strokes. I have played with cylinder 1 and it got tight on both bottom, but only one of the top strokes. Don't have a compression gauge, however I do have a nifty cylinder leak down tester I've used once in my life, and can't recall how to properly use :( . At this point I am so frustrated I'm not sure what to do. Can't afford to take it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
02 Rio 5 spd base
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Used dowel, didn't tell me too much. Nothing seems to be interfering with the pistons. After I did that I put everything back together, tried to crank it and it started... ran rough then died. Maybe motor mounts are so bad they are causing a major issue? Got it to start a couple more times before battery started losing juice.

·
Registered
02 Rio 5 spd base
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it going and staying alive, when I keep it just above idle, and seems to need full throttle to start. Runs rough like it's misfiring. I don't know how loud it would be if it were actually pistons hitting valves. I've heard people have had to also replace crank sensor on there cars, should I do this? Every day without this commuter is an extra $10 down the drain I don't have, and it's starting to wear on me. Also got another cam sensor malfunction code as soon as it started back up.

·
Registered
02 Rio 5 spd base
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Replace Crankshaft position sensor, cleared code (p0340). Started right up ran ok for about 5 seconds, cut out abruptly.... can't turn motor by hand past a certain point either direction :puzzled: .... Guess it's time for kerosene and a rag.... :gunsmilie: This car has been a headache LITERALLY since day one.

·
Registered
02 Rio 5 spd base
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh boy... started to tear apart my motor today. 3 of the little center bolts under my valve cover WEREN'T even tight. Took off the belt and water pump pulley then lower timing belt cover, cranked the engine as far as I could, and found RUBBER in-between my timing belt and crank pulley. I'm not sure what it is supposed to go to, but my entire timing belt LOOKS fine. The rubber is thick enough to have made my timing belt slip. I am not sure where to go from here... Any thoughts?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts