Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sorento 3.5 Auto 4 speed
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2004 Sorento is currently at the dealership getting engine work under warranty. They needed to replace the crankshaft, bearing and valve cover gaskets because the crankshaft threats were stripped for the crank pulley and the valve covers were leaking.

A couple of months ago the crank pulley bolt broke which they fixed under warranty then a month later the bolt pulled out stripping the threats. They covered this repair under warranty also and just finished the work which took over a month to complete due to back ordered parts.

Now they're tell me that the truck is misfiring on cylinders 1 and 3 and that I need a tune up (wires and Plugs) and also 3 coils costing 1100 + dollars. The truck was not misfiring when I drove it in but the service manager states that they were unable to test drive the truck prior to doing the engine work (because the pulley were just hanging there) and this issue must have been present prior to them working on the vehicle because the work they did wouldn't cause the misfiring of the cylinders which is caused by failed plugs and bad coils. Any advise would be appreciated.

Edit: I was wondering if the 1 and 3 cylinders are controlled by the same coil?

Edit: The mechanic told me cylinders 1 and 3 are controlled by different coils. I drove the car and the misfiring gets worse when it warms up. Does this sound like symptoms of bad coils?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
The crank pulley/bolt seems to be a weak point; a real threat to the engine's integrity.

You have a disagreement with the service manager. You say it was working OK, he assumes otherwise. The initial work probably damaged the threads and led to the major overhaul. I presume the coils are not covered by warranty; pricey for something you can hold in the palm of your hand. Any chance of having the coils independently tested?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. I'm headed to the dealership now and I'll ask them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I just got back from the dealership. The service manager is a total [email protected]#$%. I drove the car and it's definitely misfiring. It's not to bad when you first start driving it but when it warms up it gets worse. Is this a sign of bad coils?

I took the car and I'm going to do the work myself. They weren't looking to help me any further.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Asystole...
(Nice use of the name "cardiac standstill or arrest")

Plugs, wires and Coils should not cost $1100...Check out RockAuto.com!
THREE coils??? He hasn't a clue what's wrong...

He's trying to blame his department's inability to properly repair your car on "your" non-warranty parts to get you to walk away...

Ask him "if" he'll pay for the parts and labor "if" his diagnosis DOESN'T solve the misfiring problems.... and say You'll watch those parts being installed and test drive the car immediately after the work is done He'll back down. He has been told by someone "no more free parts and labor on this one" and doesn't want to repair it "again".
Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dave for the reply.

I Did the work myself today and guess what I found. The number 4 coil was broken. The same side the mechanic did a valve cover. What a dirt bag!!! it was just lying in there when I took off the black cover. Also, They said they did both valve cover but they only did the drivers side. The Pass. side wasn't touched. Is there any integrity left in society. They had my truck for 5 weeks which I was very patient with them and then they pull this.
I'm going there Monday with the part in hand. I don't except much but I'll also call kia and write a letter and email them to let them know about my experience with there dealership. I'm due for a car next year. The 99 accord is getting tired. I'll let them know I'm not going to buy another Kia and see what they say.

Anyway guys. Thanks for your replies

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave, I just took a look at rockauto.com. Great prices. Thanks for the info

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
Boy I hit the nail right on the head... They didn't want to put any more parts or time into your car....sad.

I bet it didn't cost you $1100 either!

That coil "just broke" itself ....They didn't do it...smirk..

Well ...lets see... cylinder 1 and 3 DO equal 4 so they were "partially" right :)

You really didn't say outright that it is running properly... I hope it is now.

I would make the point with KIA corporate that the coil WAS fine before the engine was replaced and that the dealer should take responsibility for their damage and the mechanic should be docked for the "hours" he took to diagnose and estimate the "extra" non-warranty repairs. I'd also mention their estimate of $1100 and your cost to repair their repair... Ask them to pay for your time and parts also.
Dave

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
/rant
This is another one of those stories you hear when the mechanics try and pull the wool over your eyes.

WTF is wrong with people in service positions today?
No integrity, no honesty, no clue at what they are doing, and just decide to throw parts a the problems at the owners expense rather than troubleshoot.

It seems that most places are heading that way. The fck up something on your car when its just in for something minor, and then get you to come back and pay for more labour. Sneaky [email protected]

Its got to the stage where you just cant trust most people in a service position these days, which is really sad.
/rant
Good luck with your car btw

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
You said "WTF is wrong with people in service positions today?" and "no clue at what they are doing,"...

Yep... They hire in green "mechanics" (for cheap) that could care less as long as they get their paycheck. They won't stay long so they won't learn much about that brand of car ....then they move on to a different dealer and type of car.. They also are being driven by the Service Manager to turn "volume" and "cut" losses (as it looks like in this case).

The dealership is "given" only so much "money" to do a warranty repair and this car is a 2004 that was "botched" on the first warranty attempt... So the manufacturer (KIA) does not want to pay for the second time... No Money..No Workie!

Any good mechanic has moved on and the the engine "rebuild" is passed to a greenhorn or an mechanic that should have retired 20 years ago and is afraid to retire and has the GM (general manager) of the dealership looking only for "profit" in every department.

An independent mechanic is usually much better as he has been through the mill and knows what type of cars he WANTS to work on and DEPENDS on a return customer and a good word or two... He will take the time to "learn" about a new make or model as it benefits him to do so... and will make it right if he made a mistake on the repair.

I do my own families car repairs. I'm both electronically and mechanically inclined so they don't bother me.. and my attitude is for the one repair I do have to get "help" on (and pay) it's offset by the ten I performed and saved money on... That's why I buy "salvage" or used cars... For the much lower cost I can offset the missing dealer warranty and the possible botched repairs by doing my own repairs right. I have walked away from the dealers "free" service offers because I don't want their grubby little hands touching my car.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
Asystole..
Stay around...We always need good people here and you sure don't need that dealer after things get resolved... We want our KIAs to run well and WILL share knowledge and tips.. all for "No Charge"
Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks Dave. I was clicking around last night and read up on some of the threats.. The community has gathered a wealth of information for us Kia owners.

I have that thump issue after you stop and let off the brake you feel it. 3 Years ago I had the dealer look at it. They would grease the drive shaft then it would be fine for 3 to 4 days and then come back. I had the district service manager test drive it with me and he told me it was the tranny down shifting. i told him he was nuts but he said that that was the issue and there wasn't any safety issue and sent me on my way.

I was thinking of going to the dealer tomorrow and throwing the broken coil on the service managers desk but I may just go in and talk to the owner or the general manager. I will be definitely sending a letter, email and calling Kia corp.

As far as how the truck is running now, it's running great. I did wires, plugs and ended up replacing the 3 coils. Total cost, 257.00 in parts. The wires were fun but I ended up taking out the wire channel and running the wires through with wire looms. Hope they will be fine. It was impossible to get them back through with the plastic channel there.

I'm also hoping the tune up will help my gas millage because it's been pretty bad lately. Around 14 to 15 MPG.

Anyway. I'm glad I found this community. Great great job guys.

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
Well...You were lucky to at least to get them to put the engine back together.
If nothing else I'll give you an electronic pat on the back and a atta boy!
Did you replace the coils because they were bad or just because you had access to the engine?

The "bolt" on the Sorento was a problem that finds it's roots back at the original designer which i believe was Mitsubishi.. They also had problems with them.

I think we are so adamant about getting each other's KIAs going is that they started out as the "underdog" cars with rust problems, and poor support. They are still thought of as "throw away" cars by many. I bought my 06 Spectra with 24k as "salvage" car in December of 09 for $2100 well below what a Toyota or Nissan in that condition would have sold for... Today you can't find any KIA anywhere near that price... and we are a tight knit group sharing our "love" of our "misfits"
Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered all 3 not knowing what to expect before taking everything apart and after finding the one broken. I figured I'd just throw the other 2 in while I had the engine apart. They cost me $70 each. I was able to get them through my friends account who is a mechanic which was a big help.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
Haha, thanks for the reply Dave. I know that is how it works, i was just having a rant from seeing another bloke getting screwed over by the dealers.

Here is aus, i know someone who is a mech for mitsu. He is the mobile mech, come to you (for standard services) and he tells me that they have a quota of how many fortron engine cleaning treatments they need to sell (imposed by the dealer). He says the quotas are so high, that they try and say to peoplewith only 20000km on the car that they need it as their car is clogged up and has sludge.
He said it himself, he is embarrassed to tell people that in order to try and meet his quota.

In Aus, its all about the 'add on' (add on extra money rather than service)

Good luck with it Asystole, the more you learn about your car, the better.
The way i see it, the more i can do on it, the more i save, and better tools i can buy to do the next job!

·
Super Moderator
6,866 Posts
RandomBob...
You said "The way i see it, the more i can do on it, the more i save, and better tools i can buy to do the next job!"
We do think alike..
Dave

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Yes, good on you for sticking at it and fixing things for yourself, even though you shouldn't have had to.

Yes the dodgy crank bolt is inherited from the Mitsubishi design. Mitsubishi themselves released several revisions of the bolt (sound familiar) to try and fix the problem but never solved it 100%. The two biggies are
(1) The bolt breaking
(2) The bolt backing out
NEVER reuse the bolt, it is a TTY design and reusing it will greatly increase the chances of it breaking, and when doing it up, torque it up to the full proper torque. Don't put the bolt back with locktite, although it might seem like a good idea, if the bolt breaks, extracting the broken end will be that much harder.

Mitsubishi Australia recommend (for the 3.5 Pajero and Magna engines) chasing out the crank threads with a tap and then lightly oiling the threads on the new bolt before torqueing up.

Mitsubishi could have fixed this problem so simply by just leaving the bolt to hold on the sprocket, and bolting the pulley to the sprocket with 4 or 5 10mm bolts, like the system used on the earlier sportage.

I bought my 06 Spectra with 24k as "salvage" car in December of 09 for $2100 well below what a Toyota or Nissan in that condition would have sold for... Today you can't find any KIA anywhere near that price... and we are a tight knit group sharing our "love" of our "misfits"
Know what you mean back in 2001 we bought an almost new condition 98 Sportage for a second car. It was a bargain because Kias were then an unknown brand here. We still have that car, now with 250,000 Km on it. It still runs well and apart from a couple of electrical gremlins has had only normal maintainence (done by me) It still has no rust and minimal rattles despite the fact it is driven at highway speeds every single day, and in the mud, every day it rains. (we live in the country) I must admit that a lot of the trim and finish looks and feels cheap and even flimsy, but in reality has turned out to be surprisingly durable. I want to keep it now to see how long it will go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts