Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! First all of all, sorry if this post is in the wrong part of this website. I am new to the forum. I recently have had problems with the transmission on the Kia.. the shift solenoids seemed to finally go out. I have had problems with the car not shifting into the last gear onto the highway causing it to rev kind of high only when at highway speeds. It is now not shifting into 2nd gear when driving at low speeds and is revving really high. The car has almost 200k miles on it and there are also other electrical codes being thrown on the transmission. My question is, is it better to remove the transmission from the bottom, or pull it from the top along with the engine? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,254 Posts
Hi everyone! First all of all, sorry if this post is in the wrong part of this website. I am new to the forum. I recently have had problems with the transmission on the Kia.. the shift solenoids seemed to finally go out. I have had problems with the car not shifting into the last gear onto the highway causing it to rev kind of high only when at highway speeds. It is now not shifting into 2nd gear when driving at low speeds and is revving really high. The car has almost 200k miles on it and there are also other electrical codes being thrown on the transmission. My question is, is it better to remove the transmission from the bottom, or pull it from the top along with the engine? Thanks!
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

UPDATE: Vehicle Information

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
1,062 Posts
Not what you want to hear.....it depends. It can be accomplished both ways.
If your working with basic tools, no lift, no chain fall, only a floor jack, then go from the bottom.
Not knowing your particular engine cradle, does it look like there is some room to pull from the bottom?
If no, and the cradle needs to be removed, then build a cross brace from a 4x4 (or rent one from an auto store) to lay across the strut towers, then chain the engine to the brace. That will hold the motor up safely while you R & R the trans. All 4 wheels need to be safely on jack stands. Let us know how you make out. Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
I have had the tranny out of a 2008 to replace clutch parts (a manual car)... It IS tight and I had to remove the engine crank pulley to gain enough room to separate both parts... On a second thought I would have removed both as a unit and split them apart outside the car from the top... The good news is there have been LOTS of low mileage Spectras totaled from insurance accident pay outs with good trannies out there... If your car is a 2004.5~2006 check the tranny fluid pan to see if it's a side or bottom mount... The 2007 on Spectras used a bottom pan...

Sseeing that you have slippage you don't have the electrical problem with your tranny... It;s a wear problem...
My daughter-in-laws 2008 Spectra automatic is still going strong with 200k miles...
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts