Kia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima EX-T and 2016 KIA Sorento SX
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need the wiring diagrams for 2012 Optima EX turbo. I had the brake warning light illuminating since purchase. After 7 attempts the dealership finally replaced the front wiring harness. Now my car only starts intermittently (most of the time it won't). After 2 1/2 weeks the dealership told me that they don't know why it won't start and gave it back to me broken. KIA motors alluded to the fact that my car was in an accident and it may have caused the problem (although it was only the rear bumper and trunk damaged), so I am stuck with a broken car and nowhere to turn. If I can locate these wiring diagrams, I may be able to trace the problem (former aircraft mechanic) and get my car running. If anybody knows where to get them, or has had similar problems please feel free to contact me.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
2,056 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX w/EX tech package
4,690 Posts
Where do you live?

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Are you the original owner?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found those schematics. Unfortunately, the ones I see there only breakdown the wiring to the harness level. I need very detailed schematics that go down to the wire level so that I can run diagnostics on each wire for power/ground scenarios. I'm pretty sure the PCM is messed up since the harness they replaced feeds into the PCM which in turn goes to the ECM and BCM. It could be the ECM, but I suspect they checked that since the found a code when it wouldn't start that said the ECM wasn't communicating with any of the systems during failure to start. It also threw a code for the PTS switch, but it was replaced and didn't solve the issue. I'm thinking that code was a false code from the ECM.

I am the original owner, the car has less than 10k miles on it. I bought it in New Mexico and I live in New Mexico.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I have found those wiring schematics. Now I just need to find out why the pictures won't download with the files. I do appreciate the help in finding them.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
If you are the original owner with less than 10k miles - accident or not, it is totally unacceptable for the dealer to wash their hands of it....there has to be something you can do? If it is the ECM, that's not a cost YOU should have to incur, in my opinion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We do have the a Lemon Law in New Mexico and the car definitely falls into the category of a lemon. Unfortunately, the dealership where I bought the car is now trying to save themselves, so they have told KIA that they found missing hardware and non-kia electrical connectors and hardware up in the engine compartment; which is totally bogus. Again, the accident damage was limited to the back of the car and the repair shop was very careful to document the damage and subsequent repairs with photographs. Other than that dealership nobody has been under the hood of this car. They are the ones that changed out the front wiring harnes which (imo) caused the starting issue.
Now that I have retained a lawyer, the dealership and KIA motors refuse to do anything with my car to repair it, so it sits in my driveway; inoperable. I can't drive it because I don't know whether it will start; leaving me stranded.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
It sounds more like a faulty dealer more than anything.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Couldn't agree with you more. I'll never take my cars back to that dealership. I'll drive the extra 10 miles and take them elsewhere.
Looking at the schematic on this car I can see where that wiring harness has three connectors that tie into the PCM. I would think that this could be the problem, but the dealership said they got a code during failure that indicates that the ECM is not communicating with any of the systems. I'm not sure if I should trust their diagnostics or not since they said they got a battery code and brake switch code, but after replacing both of those components the car still had the start problem. That's when they told me that they were replacing the PTS switch, but that apparently never happened; at least not according to the service order. It just says that they ran diagnostics, got a brake switch and computer code, so they replaced the brake switch. It took them 2 1/2 weeks to do that.. See something is very fishy.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Does the RO have the codes that were pulled?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It just says, "Tech pulled multiple codes with CAN Communication malfunction, and C1513, Brake Switch malfunction code".

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am having some very severe difficulties downloading and or printing the wire Schematics from KIAtechinfo. If anybody has these file for 2012 Optima EX-T , QF and TF, I'd appreciate a copy of them.
I've tried three different browser and it either won't download, or crashes the browsers halfway through the download to print.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
use the snipping tool and do a screen selection and then print it, I find that much easier in many cases where its awkward to print direct through the normal process.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought of the copy and print idea. The problem is the moment the window comes up to tell me that it will be a lot of pages to print, the download of those pages stops and when I click okay the download doesn't resume, so the pages are left blank and want to print blank; if it doesn't crash the browser first.
I have tried Internet Explorer-32bit, Internet Explorer-64bit, Google Chrome and Firefox and I get the same results each time. Kinda at my wits end with those diagrams. I even did the viewer install (from the KIA Website)for each of these browsers and I get the same results.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Do you have Microsoft Office OneNote? I always print it to OneNote,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts