Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been in here for a while...lots of catching up I need to do :)

I will have owned my little pillbug for exactly one year on the 27th of this month, and have logged over 24,300 miles. The only issue I've had was the TPMS light coming on after my trip to Joshua Tree last November. I have since driven (from Austin) to Caprock Canyons (in the Panhandle, only about 900 miles), Angel Peak, NM (about 2000 miles), and recently, to Myrtle Beach, SC (about 2600 miles). I ditched satellite radio (as I can get a greater variety of music from an 8gb flash drive), the seats have softened up a bit, and I've been running an open filter for about 6 months now (no real noticeable change in fuel efficiency, but it sounds cool :) ). My oil changes (done myself) consist of Mobile Super 5000 10w-30 and a Wix filter, every 4000-5000 miles. And I find i get much better mileage if I keep my foot off the floor.

I have no complaints.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
25,000 miles is quite a bit. I would love to go on those trips, I would especially like to see the west coast again but I'm stuck here.
Even though I had an issue with overheating a couple of times (within 2 weeks) ever since I had no issues anymore and the gas mileage keeps improving. And my little car is only nearing 9,000 miles.

Enjoy your trips.

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 EX w Conv Pkg, Chestnut .......... 1997 Ford F-150
54 Posts
4,500 miles on my Rio and it is running well.

I usually drive 70mph as a max speed. On the 2 occasions when I pushed it to 75mph for good lengths of time the mileage dropped significantly. Quite a difference once you break that 70 barrier, so it appears.

RioBravo, I see you use 10w30 oil where my Rio calls for 5w20. I see you are in Texas which stays warm but the 5w is what the engine calls for when starting the engine. Did you get advice somewhere that 10w on the low end was OK?

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
Had a 12 Rio come into the shop 2 weeks ago with 47k miles. The car was bought in January, so that's some serious miles in 8 months. We replaced the original tires. In my area, getting 47k out of a set of tires is almost unheard of. All it has every come in for is routine maintenance. As far I know the owner has not had any issues with it.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts

I usually drive 70mph as a max speed. On the 2 occasions when I pushed it to 75mph for good lengths of time the mileage dropped significantly. Quite a difference once you break that 70 barrier, so it appears.

RioBravo, I see you use 10w30 oil where my Rio calls for 5w20. I see you are in Texas which stays warm but the 5w is what the engine calls for when starting the engine. Did you get advice somewhere that 10w on the low end was OK?
There is a chart in the owners manual that shows 10-30 is ok from 0° on up, but 5-20 is recommended for best fuel economy.

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
24000 miles, that makes me feel a little better about my 16000 miles. Of coarse I haven't taken any long trips like you have but I take a lot of shorter "day trips" also I didn't get my Rio until the first of March so maybe I shouldn't feel better after all!

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The manual calls for either 5W- or 10W-30. Since it gets hotter here than it gets colder, I opted for the 10W-30. And mileage suffers noticeably above 70.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts