Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those interested in upgrading their UVOs to a navigation head unit while retaining all the stock functions (including OEM back-up camera), here is an option a bit pricey perhaps but fully recommended by Kia and even installed by the dealers.

Kia Sorento | Compass-Nav

Someone paid CAD 2K installed by the dealer when bought the Sorento EX, so unit price must be around CAD 1200.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX AWD
270 Posts
In the words of Lil John... "WHAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!"

I would like to upgrade but that's a lot of money!

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento
396 Posts
definitely nothing like OEM... but that amount of money just for a HU, no way bro.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I guess it's a matter of options.....For us -base model and UVO owners-, since we cant upgrade to OEM navigation, there are only 2 options, Chandroid which is nice but lacks OEM features or this UNAVI-like version that retains all stock features but empties your pockets. I'm jealous of 2017 EX model that comes with the nice 7-inch, looks just right.

·
Registered
Sorento 2016 SX V6 6AT, Civic 2006 LX AT
593 Posts
I guess it's a matter of options.....For us -base model and UVO owners-, since we cant upgrade to OEM navigation, there are only 2 options, Chandroid which is nice but lacks OEM features or this UNAVI-like version that retains all stock features but empties your pockets. I'm jealous of 2017 EX model that comes with the nice 7-inch, looks just right.

@josuet - appreciate that a look that doesnt suggest a mod has been done, is a worthy objective. But for that price (CAD2000) an independent GPS might be a more cost effective solution?

See https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-NuviCam-LMTHD-6-Inch-Navigator/dp/B00WAP8PI2, priced at USD350 it comes with rudimentary forward collision alert, lane departure warning, dash cam and the real kicker - free map upgrades (which Kia charges CA$300 all told for 1 update). The SX model in Canada at least lacks FCW and LDW so most Sorento owners will be a step ahead with this device.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@josuet - appreciate that a look that doesnt suggest a mod has been done, is a worthy objective. But for that price (CAD2000) an independent GPS might be a more cost effective solution?

See https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-NuviCam-LMTHD-6-Inch-Navigator/dp/B00WAP8PI2, priced at USD350 it comes with rudimentary forward collision alert, lane departure warning, dash cam and the real kicker - free map upgrades (which Kia charges CA$300 all told for 1 update). The SX model in Canada at least lacks FCW and LDW so most Sorento owners will be a step ahead with this device.
Agree, I wouldn't pay the 2K but perhaps someone in the forum would...There are even cheaper dash cams that do all those functions. I'd like to have at least the GPS being part of the entertainment solution.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX
44 Posts
Now if this head unit ran android auto and it had a slot for a SIM card, so you would not have to plug a phone in all the time, well then we're talking.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento LX AWD
270 Posts
I just can't fathom the factory HU upgrade isn't possible. I mean... I'm not running out to pull apart my dashboard but there has to be a way. I've poured over threads until they literally blur together but my basic question is still, why not?

2017 base UVO with android auto = Wouldn't it use my Google maps and my phones GPS? Wouldn't it also use my phones data for the apps like Pandora? The backup camera would be the same wouldn't it? The USB ports, speakers wiring etc should all be the same I'd think.

I don't want the full boat SX head unit but I would like the android auto option to integrate my phone. I'm a huge fan of "OK Google".

·
Registered
17' Sorento SXL V6 AWD, 14' Mazda6 GT w/ Tech, 16 Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory, 14' BMW S1000R
839 Posts
Way overpriced. This is a iGo based nav running on windows CE. I have put a similar one in my Venza for $330. You even get these running android. They retain most of the functions except for the surround camera and backup sensors. Sorento gets s bit complicated as climate control display is integrated too. But you also get smartphone mirroring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento
396 Posts
a felow Panamenian in this forum installed this one a while back

Android 4.4 Car Media Center Player For KIA Sorento 2015 Stereo GPS Navigation | eBay

plug and play with several of the oem features. not sure how you can compare it to that 2k one but definitely affordable and worth the try.

I like the screen size and options, but just not convinced about the sound quality. with stock everything I'll give it a try. but me having amps, upgraded speakers and amps, I'm pretty sure it will be a HU downgrade.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reached out to the authorized dealer in Toronto. Looking at CAD 1600 installed and tax included. Customer rep mentioned that they take apart UVO unit to reuse the chassis's rear section.

He assured all OEM features are Kept plus a few more added, complete seamless upgrade on his own words.

Downside it's not android :(

·
Registered
17' Sorento SXL V6 AWD, 14' Mazda6 GT w/ Tech, 16 Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory, 14' BMW S1000R
839 Posts
Just get one from aliexpress or eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
For those interested in upgrading their UVOs to a navigation head unit while retaining all the stock functions (including OEM back-up camera), here is an option a bit pricey perhaps but fully recommended by Kia and even installed by the dealers.

Kia Sorento | Compass-Nav

Someone paid CAD 2K installed by the dealer when bought the Sorento EX, so unit price must be around CAD 1200.

Hope it helps.
So I'm the guy that paid $2000 as an add-on, the system is good but really I rarely use it. I'd like to upgrade the maps but it looks like Compass-Nav is out of business. Any ideas?
Thanks,

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,791 Posts
Add-on at the dealer??? What year is your Sorento?
(BTW: Be prepared to get bounced by the moderator shortly for lack of info.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts