Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX - Pacific Blue/Brown interior, 2017 Moto Guzzi V9 Roamer
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how often they release navigation map updates for the Sportage. Is it only once a year.

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 SX
39 Posts
FAQ

How often is the map updated?
We offer map updates once a year for older models. Newer models that store their data on SD cards have updates that are released twice a year.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FAQ

How often is the map updated?
We offer map updates once a year for older models. Newer models that store their data on SD cards have updates that are released twice a year.
Thanks, not sure how I missed that on their web site.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Forte EX, 2020 Kia Soul EX, 2002 Corvette Z06
100 Posts
Very surprising and at the same time disappointing that you have to pay for map updates. 2017 Sportage EX and 2016 Optima SXL and I'm glad that it's only a 3 year lease. I should have paid more attention because I would 'assume' when you get the full blown navigation system, that maps would be updated. Learning process

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage EX
127 Posts
Very surprising and at the same time disappointing that you have to pay for map updates. 2017 Sportage EX and 2016 Optima SXL and I'm glad that it's only a 3 year lease. I should have paid more attention because I would 'assume' when you get the full blown navigation system, that maps would be updated. Learning process
All manufacturers who offer the in vehicle nav system charge for map updates, not just Kia.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All manufacturers who offer the in vehicle nav system charge for map updates, not just Kia.
This is true. My previous car was a Honda Crosstour and updates were usually $149.00 and every now and then they would drop the price down to $99.00 usually when a new update was near.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX
9 Posts
Is Kia Sportage Navigation system compatible with WAZE

The Nav system in the 2018 Kia Sportage is not user friendly to say the least. I was wondering if this Nav system will is compatible with Waze maps in order to download routes. To put a long route with different HWY'S changes is very challenging if not impossible with the Kia NAV system. I find it totally frustrating and time consuming. You do not seem to be able to put in a HWY number followed by another HWY number without putting is a city/town at their junction, then it wants a street number etc. This of course takes you into the city which you are trying to avoid.

Last Choice

·
Registered
'18 Sportage SX AWD
24 Posts
The Nav system in the 2018 Kia Sportage is not user friendly to say the least. I was wondering if this Nav system will is compatible with Waze maps in order to download routes. To put a long route with different HWY'S changes is very challenging if not impossible with the Kia NAV system. I find it totally frustrating and time consuming. You do not seem to be able to put in a HWY number followed by another HWY number without putting is a city/town at their junction, then it wants a street number etc. This of course takes you into the city which you are trying to avoid.

Last Choice
Do you have an iPhone or Android? Both Apple Car Play using Apple Maps and Android Auto using Google Maps are far superior to the Kia map.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
905 Posts
Do you have an iPhone or Android? Both Apple Car Play using Apple Maps and Android Auto using Google Maps are far superior to the Kia map.
My problem with that is that the cellphone has to be plugged in and unplugged multiple times every day.
This is a pain in the … and will wear out or damage the USB port eventually. Also, just about 100% of
the time I have a thumb drive with thousands of songs on them plugged in. Just switched to a new one
after almost a year!

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX
145 Posts
My problem with that is that the cellphone has to be plugged in and unplugged multiple times every day.
This is a pain in the … and will wear out or damage the USB port eventually. Also, just about 100% of
the time I have a thumb drive with thousands of songs on them plugged in. Just switched to a new one
after almost a year!
That is a big issue for me as well since there is only one data port. I tried hubs (powered and unpowered) and there was no way to expand this one port, so like you I just use it for music and forgo the Android Auto.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
772 Posts
That is a big issue for me as well since there is only one data port. I tried hubs (powered and unpowered) and there was no way to expand this one port, so like you I just use it for music and forgo the Android Auto.
unfortunately most phones now do not have internal removable storage options. That would fix the problem, just install a 128gb sd card and put all the music on that and play it through android auto.

·
Registered
2018 Sportage SX
145 Posts
unfortunately most phones now do not have internal removable storage options. That would fix the problem, just install a 128gb sd card and put all the music on that and play it through android auto.
I mostly listen to long mp3s (Howard Stern, audiobooks, podcasts) and the Kia USB features have been amazing at playing them all, "pausing" when turning the car off, resuming at last spot even when USB stick removed and reinserted, identifying all of my USB drives, displaying full track info, and playing many kinds of MP3 files and bitrates. It is an underappreciated feature of these Kias.

The phone option would be possible since there are apps that always pause when bluetooth is disconnected and resume when bluetooth is reconnected. The steering wheel FF and REW buttons would no longer work in this case of course, but technology ain't perfect and this would be a minor issue.

FWIW

·
Registered
'18 Sportage SX AWD
24 Posts
after almost a year!
I've never had a usb port wear out on any electronic, including my 8 year old MacBook that I routinely plug and unplug a mouse/hardrvie/iphone into daily. But, if you're worried, I just bought the shortest Apple lightning to USB cord they sell, and leave it permanently plugged into the car, so I just connect the lightning end to my phone when needed. The cord tucks right into the little phone space when not in use.

·
Registered
2017 Sportage SX, Copper&Beige - 2009 ST1300 Honda - Wife's: 2016 Soul+ Bright Silver
147 Posts
I could not find the current map version on my Nav screen anywhere, like: under "setup" or "GPS" info, etc
My Garmin (ZUMO 550) was version 2018.10 so I just updated it to 2020.10 the other day. (I have "lifetime" updates on it)

Anyway, where can I find the current map version on my SX NAV ?

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
905 Posts
I've never had a usb port wear out on any electronic, including my 8 year old MacBook that I routinely plug and unplug a mouse/hardrvie/iphone into daily. But, if you're worried, I just bought the shortest Apple lightning to USB cord they sell, and leave it permanently plugged into the car, so I just connect the lightning end to my phone when needed. The cord tucks right into the little phone space when not in use.
The first thing I bought for my SX was a short male to female USB patch cord. A few friends and family have damaged or worn out the fragile mini USB ports on cellphones, etc.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX Black Cherry/Beige
303 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage EX
67 Posts
On a 2017 Sportage EX
Depending on the size of the SD card for the Nav system, mine had 7gb free, so I moved my songs from my USB stick to "My Music" option of the Harmon Kardon system. So now all my MP3's are on that SD card which frees up my USB port for other uses.
As for being worried about wearing out USB connections at the Phone or USB Port, you can buy magnetic USB cables, one part of the cable plugs into the USB port and the other is a very small plug that plugs into the phone, when you want to connect your phone, you just bring the cable plug near it and the magnet will snap the connection into place, make sure you buy the amount of cables you need.... house, car, office, etc.
I kind of like this one since you use your own USB to USB-c cable (if you don't want a 6 foot cable), it's a 3 pack so could be handy......
NetDot Gen5 Magnetic Micro USB to Micro USB Adapter for Android Devie (Micro USB Adapter/3 Pack Black): Amazon.ca: Gateway
This is on the Canadian Amazon site, if interested, just copy and paste the product name into a amazon search for your country.
If you look at other magnetic cables, make sure they can handle Data (Sync) as well as Charge or else it'll only be good for charging your phone.
Take care

Regards: Jack

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage SX
772 Posts
Being in the computer maintenance and repair industry since 1995 I can assure you that your experience is in the minority. Never underestimate the ability of the layperson to easily and accidentally destroy connectors of any type. My personal in depth experience dealing with apple products highlights this even more, since they are absolute masters at only building their products to hopefully live until the date the warranty expires. We have done all the math, and there is a reason we replace apple products at the date the warranty runs out, it is FAR cheaper than any of the other options, and that's only for those who simply can't handle the far cheaper option of using windows based devices.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts