Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kia Sportage SX 2.0T-GDI FWD
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I’m repeating something already discussed. I have a 2021 Sportage SX and was looking to do a Navi update. Stopped by the dealership. They said just go on the website and there will be instructions on how to do it. Anyways, I called Uvo, now Kia Connect. They said it has to be done on a computer and transferred to a 32 gig SD card. Has anyone done this? Was it difficult? Was it worth it? Thanks in advance for any help with this.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX Black Cherry/Beige
354 Posts
The Navigation Updater has also been updated. Slight change to opening screen but the procedure is still the same. Also as Its a Kia mentioned the vehicle update take some time. Just about a half hour for my 2017 SX. The most frustrating part of that is when it seems to have just stalled. Be patient. its doing its thing.

·
Premium Member
2017 Sportage SX AWD / Mineral silver with beige interior
1,188 Posts
The Navigation Updater has also been updated. Slight change to opening screen but the procedure is still the same. Also as Its a Kia mentioned the vehicle update take some time. Just about a half hour for my 2017 SX. The most frustrating part of that is when it seems to have just stalled. Be patient. its doing its thing.
I've never done the new ones. Can you drive and listen to Sirius radio during the long update? I'm in no hurry but may update soon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m not really computer savvy other than and IPhone but my kids are. Can anyone explain the process? I have the link to the website. What do I need for hardware? An SD card? Don’t they come in different sizes and don’t I need a computer or laptop that is compatible to this card? They also said I could just order it for 25 dollars and they would send it. Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I’m becoming my Dad. May he RIP. Lost him 12 years ago today🙏 Thanks again!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've never done the new ones. Can you drive and listen to Sirius radio during the long update? I'm in no hurry but may update soon.
No. Your head unit is in use by the update. Just do it at home in your driveway. Easy peasy.... Sounds like you may never have done it before.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No. Your head unit is in use by the update. Just do it at home in your driveway. Easy peasy.... Sounds like you may never have done it before.
Maybe mine is different because it’s a 2021 but I tried just pressing the update button. It says to insert SD card.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
I did do an update a long time ago where they sent you a card and you inserted it. I thought I listened to music while it was updating but could be wrong.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I listen to XM while it is updating, I just make sure I don't touch anything. Don't know what would happen if I did, but I don't
Well that's interesting. During the update your display does show what its doing right? Like completion status of the various steps its going through? Product Automotive design Black Vehicle Output device
Product Automotive design Black Vehicle Output device

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm beginning to think the differences such as they may be between my 2017 Gen 4 Head Unit and later (2018? or 2019 and up Gen 5 may account for the differences in updating.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so I’ve pretty much got it figured out. You download the update and then upload it to the SD card. Then put it in the Sportage and let it do it’s thing. Question, I have an SD card in there now from when I bought the Sportage in ‘21. Can I use that same card to download the new update?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sportage
1,764 Posts
It's safer to use another SD card. If something goes wrong with the download you will still have a working unit. However, for the next update, you can use your current card and then just rotate them. Those cards are cheap.

Reactions: JoeW

·
Premium Member
2020 Sportage 1.6 T-GDI AWD, Mazda 5 2.0l, Citroen Berlingo 1.9
55 Posts
Ok so I’ve pretty much got it figured out. You download the update and then upload it to the SD card. Then put it in the Sportage and let it do it’s thing. Question, I have an SD card in there now from when I bought the Sportage in ‘21. Can I use that same card to download the new update?
The download is over 12 GB in size - depending on your home broadband etc it could take a long time.
I just did mine this morning - ihave pretty fast broadband and it took about 15 minutes to download, then about 40 Minutes to do the in-car update.
So far I have not noticed any differences. Still no proper post-code search for the sat nav :-(

·
Registered
529 Posts
The US has never had a postal code (ZIP code to us) search in Sat nav. But I think that is more that our ZIP codes cover an area (could be many square miles) and not a specific address the way the UK does.

·
Premium Member
2020 Sportage 1.6 T-GDI AWD, Mazda 5 2.0l, Citroen Berlingo 1.9
55 Posts
The US has never had a postal code (ZIP code to us) search in Sat nav. But I think that is more that our ZIP codes cover an area (could be many square miles) and not a specific address the way the UK does.
Aye, post-codes are super easy for (good) satnav. Many popular tourist destinations just give you a post-code.
How about 'What Three Words' now that would be good! (As long as you put in the right three words!)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
IIRC, I bought it on line and they sent me an SD card. I removed the old SD card and inserted the new one, following the directions and it updated fine.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
IIRC, I bought it on line and they sent me an SD card. I removed the old SD card and inserted the new one, following the directions and it updated fine.
I'm still procrastinating but I bought a new SD card. Once I download to it and get ready to install it what do I do. Do I just pop out the old and insert the new and let it do it's thing or do I need to set it up somehow?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts