Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently, the original 7" touchscreen navigation system in my USA purchased Kia Sportage 2011 can only be used in North America. The car was exported to Europe in 2013. No map change and re-programming seems to be possible, according to what Kia as well as car multi-media experts here in Holland tell me.
If anyone has information different from that, I would like to know. Alternatively, I will have to replace it with a system that does function over here; maybe someone in the US could still use the fully functional and brand new looking original :) ?

·
Registered
2013 Sportage EX AWD
143 Posts
Apparently, the original 7" touchscreen navigation system in my USA purchased Kia Sportage 2011 can only be used in North America. The car was exported to Europe in 2013. No map change and re-programming seems to be possible, according to what Kia as well as car multi-media experts here in Holland tell me.
If anyone has information different from that, I would like to know. Alternatively, I will have to replace it with a system that does function over here; maybe someone in the US could still use the fully functional and brand new looking original :) ?
Have the same problem with my 2013 Sportage here in Germany. That sucks big time. I am sure the map EU-map could be loaded on the US-navi but KIA does not really care.

This is how the US-map looks on the navigation unit:

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I now had the original KIA multi-media systeem replaced by a Chinese clone and all problems are over. Anyone interested in the original which is specifically designed for use in USA or Canada?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Wolf, no it did not. They replaced it by an even stronger amplifier because the connections were different. My Sportage now resembles a concert hall really. All other functions are still available, also from the steering wheel. Navigation is better looking. They also very neatly replaced the rear camera for a PAL system one fitted in the same place as the old one. Total costs around 700 euro, it's worth it though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chippy2287

I had a similar pproblem with my Chrysler Sebring 2009 whenn fittinf a rear camera and connecting it to my US Sat Nav screen. It is something to do with the 'TV' screen transmission differences between the US an Europe. The electronics company is the UK obtained a £250 converter and all worked well. Soooo expensive when you can get a complete European system, specially built for the Sportage for £450.

·
Registered
Car: 2016 Sportage 2.0 Petrol (Aussie)...Bike: Suzuki GSF1250S Bandit with sidecar
268 Posts
I had a similar pproblem with my Chrysler Sebring 2009 whenn fittinf a rear camera and connecting it to my US Sat Nav screen. It is something to do with the 'TV' screen transmission differences between the US an Europe. The electronics company is the UK obtained a £250 converter and all worked well. Soooo expensive when you can get a complete European system, specially built for the Sportage for £450.
Why didn't they just replace the PAL Camera with an NTSC Camera, they're only about $20 to $30 ?

I've bought two additional cameras to monitor my dogs inside our large trailer as well as a reverse view of the back of the trailer. I have them both switched in with the original tailgate camera via a simple 3 way RCA TV video switch, total cost was about $60.

·
Registered
2013 Sportage EX AWD
143 Posts
Hi Wolf, no it did not. They replaced it by an even stronger amplifier because the connections were different. My Sportage now resembles a concert hall really. All other functions are still available, also from the steering wheel. Navigation is better looking. They also very neatly replaced the rear camera for a PAL system one fitted in the same place as the old one. Total costs around 700 euro, it's worth it though.
Which company in Holland did the work?

·
Registered
Gen 1 Vanilla Soul Shaker 1.6 crdi Auto 2013
1,499 Posts
Hello Phsteen I have come across this problem before .
There is no way you can adapt the systems on any make of car the different systems are not adaptable.
TV screen can be made multi region.
The options are local breakers, local Kia replacement or an of the shelf plug in upgrade from independent supplier.

Jeff

·
Registered
2014 Facelift Sportage
22 Posts
More details please

Why didn't they just replace the PAL Camera with an NTSC Camera, they're only about $20 to $30 ?

I've bought two additional cameras to monitor my dogs inside our large trailer as well as a reverse view of the back of the trailer. I have them both switched in with the original tailgate camera via a simple 3 way RCA TV video switch, total cost was about $60.
Hi
Have you anymore details on what you have done to arrange this setup please, very interested in doing this myself if you could supply details.
Thanks in advance, much appreciated. (From Pommieland) ;)

·
Registered
Car: 2016 Sportage 2.0 Petrol (Aussie)...Bike: Suzuki GSF1250S Bandit with sidecar
268 Posts
Hi
Have you anymore details on what you have done to arrange this setup please, very interested in doing this myself if you could supply details.
Thanks in advance, much appreciated. (From Pommieland) ;)
Pretty basic really, I wanted a setup for my big (2300mm tall and 2850mm wide) fully enclosed trailer so that I could see our dogs when they are travelling in the trailer, as well as what is going on behind us when towing - the trailer blocks all the mirrors.

I already had a 4in-1out RCA Video/Stereo switch (one of those cheap slide-switch things you see down the dollar shops) and some long RCA leads. So all I really needed to buy were two reverse cameras (cost about $10 each). These come with a fair bit of cable for both coax signal lead and the power run.

I took the panel off the rear hatch and traced the thin coaxial lead from the factory reverse camera, cut and joined two RCA leads onto the ends so I had both the feed from the camera as well as a feed going to the original mirror mounted monitor. I mounted one of the new cameras facing into the trailer and the other on the trailer tailgate looking back at traffic - it actually gets a pretty good view being over 2m high. I ran the cables into the rear hatch and closed the door on them, they are not that big and the rubber round the door protects them from crushing.

So now I have three camera feeds going into the slide switch and the outlet is the link going back to the factory mirror line. All the RCA/coax lines are extended up to the front centre console where I select what view I want.

Although this worked, the problem with the setup was the factory monitor only powered up when in reverse gear. I didn't want to upset any more existing wiring than I had already and then trying to trace the mirror monitors power lead and over-ride it was too much trouble for something I only use occasionally. A simple solution was to buy a cheap 7" (12v) LCD monitor and have that powered on all the time, the one I got one takes two camera feeds, so I can select inside the trailer or the rear view without the need for the slide switch.

I've reused the slide switch so I can leave all the cables in place and change between the original rear view mirror monitor or my 7" setup.

·
Registered
2014 Sportage LX AWD, 2014 Forte LX+
297 Posts
If one never learned - any built-in navigation is not only limited but also is VERY expensive to run/update.

IMHO, skip getting one or never consider it as a feature that's worth paying for it.

·
Registered
2014 Facelift Sportage
22 Posts
Great idea

Pretty basic really, I wanted a setup for my big (2300mm tall and 2850mm wide) fully enclosed trailer so that I could see our dogs when they are travelling in the trailer, as well as what is going on behind us when towing - the trailer blocks all the mirrors.

I already had a 4in-1out RCA Video/Stereo switch (one of those cheap slide-switch things you see down the dollar shops) and some long RCA leads. So all I really needed to buy were two reverse cameras (cost about $10 each). These come with a fair bit of cable for both coax signal lead and the power run.

I took the panel off the rear hatch and traced the thin coaxial lead from the factory reverse camera, cut and joined two RCA leads onto the ends so I had both the feed from the camera as well as a feed going to the original mirror mounted monitor. I mounted one of the new cameras facing into the trailer and the other on the trailer tailgate looking back at traffic - it actually gets a pretty good view being over 2m high. I ran the cables into the rear hatch and closed the door on them, they are not that big and the rubber round the door protects them from crushing.

So now I have three camera feeds going into the slide switch and the outlet is the link going back to the factory mirror line. All the RCA/coax lines are extended up to the front centre console where I select what view I want.

Although this worked, the problem with the setup was the factory monitor only powered up when in reverse gear. I didn't want to upset any more existing wiring than I had already and then trying to trace the mirror monitors power lead and over-ride it was too much trouble for something I only use occasionally. A simple solution was to buy a cheap 7" (12v) LCD monitor and have that powered on all the time, the one I got one takes two camera feeds, so I can select inside the trailer or the rear view without the need for the slide switch.

I've reused the slide switch so I can leave all the cables in place and change between the original rear view mirror monitor or my 7" setup.

Thanks for the details, I'll work on an update to this for my motor and make something up that's boxed up and fixed in.
Really appreciate the idea.
Regards.:)

·
Registered
2013 Sportage EX AWD
143 Posts
Back to the topic:

Since KIA is not able to provide European maps for the US-Sportage (what a shame) I will replace the US-Navigation Unit and install the Euro-Version.

The connectors do not match, so I need to build my own harness (US to EU).

The signals are almost the same.

But what is the ALT_L signal?

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
From the schematics I have (and unfortunately its not a full set) this is coming from the "Charging System" so ALT is more than likely Alternator. The wire size (0.3mm) indicates its not heavy current, the main earth on pin A23 for example is 0.85mm.

Further checking in the Workshop Manual didn't show any more wiring details, but I did come across an entry for "C_ALT_L". It is a CANBUS signal meaning "Alternator Level - Engine is running".

Sorry I'm not sure of the voltage on this line so be careful just plugging it into a 12v source as it may be a signal line of a much smaller voltage.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
268 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts