Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento 2.2 CRDi EX 4x4 AT Black Pearl
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this unit Witson W2-C041 to replace the original LG LAN8940EKXM navi.
The data sheet of this unit looked very good so I decided to take it.

W2-C041 with GPS +3G modem Support+including shipping: 395.00 USD.
tv antnena:6.00 USD
dvb-t box and antenna: 95.00 USD
extra 6% paypal fee
total cost 525.76 USD

Paid in 12.12.2012, received in 20.12.2012

I have to tell you that I'm a little disappointed .

First : I didn't found in the box the RCA extend cable so I can't connect the AV source .Missing RCA cable received in 03.01.2013
Second: They didn't specified that the W2-C041 has no TMC hardware so it need a aditional equipment
Third: They didn't specified that the DVB-T tuner is not for the W2-C041 , is a generic one , so I cannot use the touchscreen interface as in User Manual from their website.I have to connect it as a AV source.
Fourth :The WI-FI/3G is not working. I tried 4 different Wi-Fi USB adapters . They promise some technical support , never happend.
Fifth: The unit has only one Aux. Video input , not 2 like in the User Manual

About W2-C041 :
-the unit is not bad but the software is not stable and poor
-the interface sometimes freze and I have to use the hard buttons or to reset
-the Radio interface has no Presets and is very hard to select a radio station from the List while driving ; radio station stored in the List : the name of station it is not stored
-in Radio mode : the Next button from the steering wheel don’t work like the original : short push>next preset , long push tunning up , it has only tunning up
-DVD player is good and the subtitles work
-video player works from time to time (internal error displayed) I think it cannot play some video formats
-photo viewer is bad : no slide show , you cannot navigate thru photos , you have to return to menu to view the next photo
-the GPS is good and accurate enough
-the BT connection is bloking the software sometimes and the sound of phone call is low
-the TV analog tuner is decent
-the sound is good , clear , but the bass is very low. The original Navi unit has better bass.
-no technical documentation : I had a long row of e-mail with them to give me the connection diagram of the pins.Most of it I figure up myself

This unit is not really plug’n’play !After almoust a mounth of testing in my „little lab” I decided to install the Navi in the car . Suprise , surprize ! The metal brackets suplied with the unit are in fact two pieces of bended sheet of metal. No problem , I say , I’ll take the mounting supports from the original unit.Guess what: they don’t fit.So I had to do a 2 hours of metal work.And the metal clip under unit : dont have it , I had to take it from original unit and glue it (yes,glue it ,it was the only solution).See in pictures bellow.

In conclusion: I rate this unit 6/10 , I think it didn’t worth the money. If you are not a handy man and you want to install this unit you will have a big problem.Not only for mounting in the dashboard but the wires too.(reverse camera trigger, USB cable from original unit,etc).
Will I buy this unit again ? No.
Any questions?

Maybe Witson will provide a software upgrade.I don’t believe this.

Keep in touch.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
User update (after using the unit daily for 2 weeks):
- display stop responding in 50% of times ; have to turn off/on the unit to use it
- when in reverse with rear camera : when put in Drive or Neutral the rear camera remains on in 90% of times ; have to turn off the unit
- the reverse camera is always on (with +12 V powered) , even when the car is in Drive
- BT connection is blocking the software
- Wi-Fi and 3G connection don't work ( a computer and network engineer and a computer geek specialized in Windows Mobile and car Navi units tried their best to solve the problem)

Sugestion to software developer :
- radio: presets with large buttons with station name (from RDS)
- Radio mode : the Next button from the steering wheel : short push>next preset , long push tunning up ( it has only tunning up) ( and of course for Previous)
- the unit boots very slow when starting the car
- when the car stops with ignition off you can't use the unit ; you have to put the car in Accesories to start the unit
- solve the problem with display freezing
- solve the problem with the rear camera
- the bass is very low , and the sound is somehow flat ( I have changed the original speakers with Alpine SPG-17CS speakers)
They must release a software (firmware) update becouse in the present configuration it is very irritating to use this unit.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2010 2.2 CRDI EX
2 Posts
Also bought same unit

Hi cheluIS,

I have more o less the same problems as you, its a pity because the unit specs where promising.

Most annoying for me is the bad radio interface and poor reception, I sometimes get a lot of static...

One question, do you have the front USB and AUX working? My unit was installed by a local shop, I have an Ipod and USB cable installed but front dashboard inputs don´t work.

Best Regards
VS

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@vsimoes

The front USB and Aux. works becouse:
-for Aux. the unit came with an adapter from unit to original harness
-for USB I had to cut the original USB cable and put it to the terminal of the Wiston unit.(it's not so heavy to do but you have to be "handy").
If you need I can give you the connection diagram and the pinouts for the original Navi (Lan8940EKXM for Europe but I think the terminals are the same for Nort american units).

Anyway I have to tell you that I put back the original Navi becouse the Wiston it hard to live with it (see my previos post).Now , after I changed the front speakers with Alpine SPG-17CS the sound is way better. I have to change in back too but I don't have time yet.

Take my advice : keep the original unit and change the speakers with better ones and you will see a big improvement of sound.I spend over 400 USD and hours of labour and the result is that I have a worst quality of sound and a bad functionality of the unit.

Keep in touch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The unit came with cable adapters so you plug the unit to original harness.
I had to modify the original harness for reverse camera.The Wiston wire with label "Back" , colour dark blue , connect to "Direction" of car.
If you have external amp , the Wiston has no can-bus.
Any other infos , be free to ask.

Keep in touch.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I have installed W2-C041 in a Chevy Cruze, also I upgrade software 3 times and now software is stable without any problems adding folder explore feature to audio application because I request as improvement to factory.

I have software upgrades so if anybody needs please send me a private message.
Remember that I have a Chevy Cruze so steering wheel control software I have connects with this car, please verify if it is the same for your car model (I think yes because is the same W2-C041 unit model).

In order of radio reception, it is very poor in FM because hardware design, no software can solve this issue, but for all others features device is working properly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@marz70_2000
Where did you get the software upgrade? I search in Witson website and I didn't found any upgrade. After the upgrade what's new ? Any of the problems posted are solved ?

- display stop responding in 50% of times ; have to turn off/on the unit to use it
- when in reverse with rear camera : when put in Drive or Neutral the rear camera remains on in 90% of times ; have to turn off the unit
- the reverse camera is always on (with +12 V powered) , even when the car is in Drive
- BT connection is blocking the software
- Wi-Fi and 3G connection don't work
- the unit boots very slow when starting the car
- when the car stops with ignition off you can't use the unit ; you have to put the car in Accesories to start the unit

- the bass is very low , and the sound is somehow flat

Can you give me the latest software ?
Thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts