Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As someone who's been readily using the Navigation system on the Rio5 now, I thought I might give a short list of the pros and cons I've found so far:

Pros
- Clear detailed maps and spoken directions (with lots of warning)
- Easy address input (especially using the Address book for repeated trips)
- Re-routes quickly if you miss a turn
- Has never led me astray (in hundreds of trips now)
- Adjustable for highway vs non-highway routes
- Gives an accurate "time to destination"
- Mute button :D

Cons
- Has mysteriously deleted my address book... twice! :confused:
- Leads you to front entrance only (even if it means a U-turn!), dumb.
- Occasionally loses or simply doesn't connect to my phone
- *Startup procedure is inconsistent (see below)

*Oddly, whenever I start the car, the Navi system seems to do different things. Sometimes the "Agree" button you have to press (stupidly... each and every time I might add) is ready to go instantly - which is great. But other times, it's not, and you have to wait seemingly forever (it's not) for it to light up as the buttons are grey'd out.

Overall, it's been pretty good - and a definite lifesaver for my transition to a new (and much larger) city.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
I prefer a separate portable NAV rather than a built-in one, much cheaper and its out of the way when I don't need it. I really only need it a few times a year, not every day, so don't see the point - but to each his own!

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I prefer a separate portable NAV rather than a built-in one, much cheaper and its out of the way when I don't need it. I really only need it a few times a year, no every day, so don't see the point - but to each his own!
Sure, but the built-in Nav system is so nicely integrated - for instance - you can use it's voice commands to control a variety of other interior functions (ie. phone, stereo, radio, HVAC etc). Plus, it's so much nicer, both ergonomically and aesthetically. I couldn't stand having a separate screen awkwardly mounted on the dash, wires always dangling in my way... but yes, to each his own ;)

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
with my UVO system I also have voice commands too, not that I really use it that way prefer the manual operation. Mine also has the back-up camera the same as yours but wouldn't mind the larger screen of the NAV system though.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
405 Posts
Sure, but the built-in Nav system is so nicely integrated - for instance - you can use it's voice commands to control a variety of other interior functions (ie. phone, stereo, radio, HVAC etc). Plus, it's so much nicer, both ergonomically and aesthetically. I couldn't stand having a separate screen awkwardly mounted on the dash, wires always dangling in my way... but yes, to each his own ;)
you can control hvac by voice? which commands are available?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX
7 Posts
i agree with that synopsis. how do you resolve the phone not connecting issue? i haven't been able to get mine reconnected in a few months, though Ive only really attempted a handful of times.

·
Premium Member
2012 Rio5 SX Navi and 2008 Sorento LX
36 Posts
how do you resolve the phone not connecting issue? i haven't been able to get mine reconnected in a few months, though Ive only really attempted a handful of times.
This is what I do when it happen with my phone.

On the NAV, cancel the connection. On ur phone, either turn it off or turn off the bluetooth. Then, turn on ur phone or bluetooth and go manually to connect the nav with ur phone.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 SX
17 Posts
Or You can go to your Kia Dealer and ask for Navi system to be checked!
I did that and turned out that Navi system had to be replaced because there was some internal problem. I never had any problem with connection since then!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio5 SX
7 Posts
Or You can go to your Kia Dealer and ask for Navi system to be checked!
I did that and turned out that Navi system had to be replaced because there was some internal problem. I never had any problem with connection since then!
that might be my issue. i cant use any of the bluetooth, even for radio or navi. anytime i push a button it gives the "initializing bluetooth" message for a few seconds, then goes away. thats all i get.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts