Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to open this due to no viable findings in searches which ended up with mostly older models and other vehicles. Various countries selling Kia provide different updates and also free ones EG Australia.

I am not clear on whether the almost mandatory V10 software is even in this beast reading it. Various lines of code are not totally meaniful to me at this juncture being newbie to onboard NAV systems.

So what OS are these running on as I seem to gather 2016 has a different system but what and why so different. There is an updated for their back end software but not for the 2015!! I seen to need a specific file to decode with my device ID.

A lot of smoke and mirrors. I am posting my screen shot and hope this can be a resource for other as very little is forth coming elsewhere.

Does a new only update the firmware and OS version since the expensive cheap kia method is a download. If thats only the map i'd be only $200 poorer and the software not changed etc. Everything need updating. So confusing at this juncture for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
'15 Sorento EX
514 Posts
There are two different types of updates that can be made - navigation updates and UVO updates.

Navigation updates contain newer map data and may or may not include new navigation features depending on which version you have and which you're going to. In your case, going from V7 (NA.06...) to the current V12 (NA.11.41.52.661) would add both map and software updates. Some of the new features are listed in this PDF: http://www.kia-gpsmap.us/media/manual/v12/New Map Features Kia America Gen 3.pdf

UVO updates contain changes to the basic operating system of the touch screen unit. For example, there is a current update for 2016 Sorento which adds Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to that model. The update is not available for 2015 because the system doen't have the supporting hardware or for 2017 (presumably because it already has it).

All the information you need for navigation updates is at this site: 2015 Kia Sorento Map Update-122S3A - Map Updates. If you have a fast internet connection, you can download the update and save yourself the extra $40 to have a new SD card sent so it would cost $149.

I tend to install updates only every second or third year as I've found that the road changes are usually new roads which might possibly save some time but I can still get wherever I'm going with the existing roads in the older maps. For me, it's just not worth the $150 each to be up to date all the time.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
To clarify, the downloaded update for maps would ALSO include all the UVO updates for the heads as well. How would they know what I currently have etc in my build?

I already read about the Car Play for 2016 and looked at the Kia update site a number of times. Kia mentions nothing about the software nor did the CR rep in an response to my email either. Merely apologizing for my problem and I should buy the update at the linked site. THE END so to speak. With the software that old it should have been made available in the least, but not in Canada. Other markets are different.

Are these running on WinCE?

I found in recent use going on one of our major highways out of Toronto (401) that the Nav system thought I was in the collectors rather than the express. Even an almost 15 year old Nuvi 250 knows better with its outdated map. LOL I was not impressed. I can't say I like the full time split screen on this system. Fine when coming to an exist to direct as my Garmin does but not for either MAP mode (no destination set or with destination) a lot is missing detailing streets etc. Hopefully its vasty improved when I can find $200 to fix their bundled design in the software.

EDIT:

Well adding insult to injury reading the PDF on whats new and the update linked by Kian and here ends up at the same place. Cost default of $199 is US Dollars but Canadian is a bargain $255.79 to make your mouth water. Nope but queued for a Heart Attack. Double Ouch what a rip off.

·
Registered
'15 Sorento EX
514 Posts
Sorry, no... the map updates include updates for the navigation software but not for UVO. So if your vehicle was eligible for the new UVO features, you would have to get both the map update and the UVO update separately to bring everything up to date. Fortunately, the UVO updates are free. They are available from myuvo.com.

I remember the 401 - 20 lanes wide and the only free parking in the city during rush hour. At other times you're holding up traffic if you're not going 120.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX
20 Posts
From what I understand, on the Sorento, anything older than 2016 runs on Windows CE based units. 2016 and forward is QNX based. This also explains why Carplay/Android Auto is all over the place depending on the model of car. If its a QNX based unit, you get the update, if its Windows you get nothing.

From this point, Id expect nothing but expensive map updates. Ill just stick to using my iphone for navigation. No paying for updates and free traffic info.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked and not available for 2015 !! The maps would be useless without at least the base software being current. A huge waste of money. I'd like to at least get the base software updated and see how the NAV works with it.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The plot thickens. LOL I called my local dealer and the service manage basically indicated the do NOTHING WITH NAV SYSTEMS. Anything to do with them and updates are done by Kia directly (I contacted and they know nothing and point me to buying a Map update ignoring anything about the software being updated). There is no know software or head update for this units in their checking. Furthermore my 5 by 5 warranty does not cover the radio either (only 3 years/60k km) so I am unsupported entirely.
I guess a 3rd party company is handling this for them and setting the price for the obsolete updates as well then. That part is coming together since various non Kia URL's to you to that site supporting many builds!!

There must be aftermarket updates for these system somewhere out there.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX
20 Posts
Nope. Best you can do is change out the headunit to an aftermarket one. Problem with that is your climate info is routed over canbus to the nav display. So if you change it, you wont be able to see what temp you are set at, the mode, etc. Im thinking of keeping the factory unit, and adding an android tablet to the clock area above the nav. With chinese adapters you can do carplay to it.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found you can go to the USA site and get updates for $149 US which is considerably cheaper than $256 Cnd !! Its a download but with the highways in a big flux here the maps will be out of date for sure. The 400 system of highways are undergoing changes largely due to the expansion and integration of the 407/412 Toll highway which all won't be finish for a few years. Others maybe changing as well. Its a lot to pay for a one off update in these. If I found an update slightly older I might go for it just to see if the software features are implemented in it.

I doubt many owners are doing updates from all the forums threads I've read thus far on many models with built in NAV its an issue for pretty much all owners. If the majority of owner update at a radically reduce cost they'd make a lot more money than this current EXTORTION POLICY implemented !!

·
Registered
'15 Sorento EX
514 Posts
Checked and not available for 2015 !! The maps would be useless without at least the base software being current. A huge waste of money. I'd like to at least get the base software updated and see how the NAV works with it.
I'm not following you - what part requires a UVO update? If you're looking for the automatic timeout of the agreement window when starting up that was mentioned in the other thread, it is included in the navigation/map update.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not following you - what part requires a UVO update? If you're looking for the automatic timeout of the agreement window when starting up that was mentioned in the other thread, it is included in the navigation/map update.
It was mentioned in a previous reply and I checked it out. Thats all....2015 doesn't have it but 2016 does. Different system I gather.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is the "it" that 2016 has which the 2015 doesn't? Apple CarPlay? Android Auto?
Correct, 2016 and newer as per the site mention earlier. www.myuvo.com

A different system is apparently used. If I was buying a new vehicle I'd never pay the price for the built in NAV, few would but they build it into some models. Hence we like it to work properly but with obsolete map software its so far from a stand alone GPS like garmin its annoying to many.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back in the Day when i was leaning WIZARDS were known to be all knowing and capable of great feats.

Hmm has that changed? I don't know anyone else who is a Wizard.

LOL

·
Registered
'15 Sorento EX
514 Posts
That's a nickname I got at work from having a reputation of being able to diagnose/fix almost any computer problem. I guess it comes from having been in the business since before the PC was invented because my psychic powers don't seem to be working so well anymore. ;)

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yeah well same here then, Been involved with Computers since the Comodore PET and since along with other highly technical disciplines. Industrial power (fork lift batters and high current chargers up to 200A 3 phase etc), Telecommunication with GE, did it all their and more. LOL

Retired now keeping stuff working and a full time avoiding buying juck as so much is engineered like that now.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see a number of original SD cards for sale on eBay but its impossible to certain if they're compatible with my head or version based on the number given.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Are the USA Sorento's and Canadian models both fitted with North American Maps in the navigation software? The site does not specify any detail on the download package.

I found the answer on the Kia map update page. However, the update # is different for the US 122S3A & 124S3A for CND for the same version V12. Price is cheaper in the US site.

·
Registered
Sorento SX AWD 2015
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
NAV Software - SD card codes

Anyone know how to decode what all the info means.

There is the CAN letter which reference Canada but the maps are indicated as North American Maps so whats the difference between was suppled by Kia USA and Kia Canada?

this is my SD card and I expect it somehow references the version of map/software. I can buy card but no idea what system they're for or now much newer than my current software.

Attachments

·
Registered
'15 Sorento EX
514 Posts
The 96554-1UBA1 is the Kia part number. Kia part numbers are broken down into a parts type (in this case 96554 represents a navigation SD card) and the application (in this case 1UBA1 represents a Sorento built between 8/15/2013 and 3/28/2014). There are 1UBA2 through 1UBA4 versions covering build dates up to 1/2/2015.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts