Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Sorento has been making this power steering like noise for that past while. Except it's not rev dependant. It only is really present when taking off. Once I reach 30km/h its gone. Use headphones to hear what im talking about.

It's like a whining/humming sound from the passenger side of the vehicle.

Happened before and after I had my winter tires and rims installed. Just want to get your opinion before I take it to my new dealer. I think they are going to blame it on my winter tires and rims, but it was there before I had them installed.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
could it be from the fan.
Have you removed the cabin filter and see if its more pronounced (leave the glove box open) or is it definitely outside the vehicle?

Does it do it when your idling?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could it be from the fan.
Have you removed the cabin filter and see if its more pronounced (leave the glove box open) or is it definitely outside the vehicle?

Does it do it when your idling?
I have pulled the cabin air filter and it's perfect. It's definitely not a fan problem as it only does it when slowly taking off, not idling. The fan can be full blast, low, off etc...and it still does it. It's definitely outside the vehicle

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most likely it is an axle coming out of the trans... There has been numerous problems with these
OH LOVELY. I wonder if it has something to do with the clunk from the passenger side. Dealer said they couldn't hear anything even though it's clear as day.

I have a few half days this week. I'll have to book an appointment to get it looked at.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The snap ring is usually installed using too much grease and works its way out. If this is the case and the dealer doesn't have the axle in stock they should emergency order it and put you in a rental for a day.. I am a service advisor for Kia and we have replaced 3-4 of them in the past month.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The snap ring is usually installed using too much grease and works its way out. If this is the case and the dealer doesn't have the axle in stock they should emergency order it and put you in a rental for a day.. I am a service advisor for Kia and we have replaced 3-4 of them in the past month.
Wow...so it's a similar sound? It's only really present when I am coming to a stop or pulling away. After 25km/h it seems to go away.

Wish my local dealer had a service department like yours. I'm talking 2 hour oil changes(booked days before) and four failed fixes for my timing chain oil leak. Won't be going back there again. Sucks cause my local dealer is literally 2 minutes up the road. Next best one is 20 minutes away but worlds better.

·
Registered
White 2012 SX AWD
766 Posts
Optima12, what dealer do you work for?

Is there a reference on KGIS to what you're describing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts