Kia Forum banner

Mystery knocking/slapping from intake manifold area

Tags
help knocking
2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  MIA KIA 09 
#1 ·
2007 Sportage 2.0l 127xxx miles. The sound I’m hearing happens when the motor is revving down from about 2500-idle. And happens intermittently while idling. Was told it could be a bad timing belt tensioner or idler pulley. So I replaced the belt, tensioner, and idler pulley. Still am hearing the sound. I tightened up the tensioner a little thinking the belt itself was slapping. It’s not. Upon further inspection the noise isn’t coming from the timing area, but the intake manifold area, or even under it. I’m lost. Threw codes p0011 and p0016 before I changed the belt. If someone could tell me how to post a video, I have one of the noise.

#4 ·
Sorry, but I'm not on here much lately. The 2.0 is a very good motor when properly maintained. What are the miles on the car and what id actually (currently) happening? You posted of some codes, but not if still happening. There is a chain that links the intake and exhaust camshaft under the valve cover. It's possible that has stretched and slapping and can throw the codes you posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.