Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the story i brought my kia rio 6 months ago. i only put 5000 miles on the car. I installed a amp and sub into my car. last thursday the alternator went bad on me and the battery. i have it towed to the dealership and today they are telling me that i need a new fuse relay box. and i'm like how when everything works fine when the car is on acc mode (when you turn the key a little bit to get the radio and stuff to turn on. The night it broke down my manager gave me a boost which lasted about a minute and everything worked. so im a little confuse should i give in or am i just getting ripped off??

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the alternator of any car is an item that will need to be replaced at least once for the life of the car. If the car is well-maintained and goes over 200K miles, likely twice.

My 2009 Rio is has only 30K, but my 2007 Nissan Versa has 84000. I think I plan to replace the alternator preventively at 90000, since I plan to own this car until it doesn't run welll anymore.

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio
151 Posts
I think the best way to test the alt is to pull it. There is a guy in my area that rebuilds them. I went to him twice for a 99 Malibu I had. First time he replace the diodes. The second time he replace the brushes.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Big Amps and big fuses cause BIG PROBLEMS...It is possible that the Amplifier drew too much current and the battery could not supply it...so...the next item to supply the current would be the alternator and it failed also....
These cars are not made to supply the current demanded by large power amps and the wiring harness/fuse panel/alternator/battery can and do fail under these tremendous loads... There is a large 80 or 120Amp fuse on the fuse box/panel under the hood that will blow under these conditions knocking out the ability of the alternator to charge the battery...I'd check that fuse.... A total revamping of the electrical system would be needed for these amps...BIGGER alternator/battery/wiring/fusing...BIG Bucks.
The insanity of having a car that plays louder than your neighbors is just that INSANE.
Being in a car with these levels of bass also does un-repairable nerve damage to the ear and damage to the car's charging system..(you found out the hard way).
The fuse panel can be replaced by you and not the dealer and the panel can be found at your local junk/salvage yard much cheaper that at the dealer... It's a "plug-n-play" item.
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts