Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.got a performance chip and fitted it to my 08 ceed 1.6 crdi 115 hp last week.told the rep to set it to better fuel consumption rather than more hp. my fuel consumption has jumped from 47mpg to 58mpg on the display.I was getting 51mpg during summer.it has always between 48 & 51.also i blanked the EGR valve 12weeks ago.made no diff to mpg but made it sound and feel better to drive.
I should mention too,I bought the car for a very nice price because the warrantie was already null.the last owner had only brought it to kia for two services.
Anyway,yesterday i did my first brim fill up after 532 miles.refilled the tank to the lip of the tank filler.(millimeters from overflowing)as i had done just before putting the chip in.The results are very disapointing.it dident make a bit of difference.bit dissapointed but im going to keep it.dont think i could go back to the way she trembled at basic low revs.
So bottom line is.if you want power go for it,however if its lower fuel consumption your looking for save your money.Hope this helpful to anyone thinking of saving a few bob.

·
Registered
Kia Ceed, MGTF, Various Jeeps new and old, FIAT 500
268 Posts
Cheers useful information and what I always suspected about tuning chips. Fine for more power but not for more MPG without a power reduction.

I hate EGRs they chuck a lot of muck into the throttle body and inlet manifold I suspect reducing efficiency over time. When I took the manifold of a three year old diesel Jeep Patriot the amount of sludge and tar in the throttle and manifold from the EGR was disgusting.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
09 Pro-Ceed 1.4 ZR7
346 Posts
I dont think you can really draw any useful conclusion to MPG after just one tankfull. You would need to do several tankfulls and compare MPG before and after the Chip was installed to say conclusively that its no better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think you can really draw any useful conclusion to MPG after just one tankfull. You would need to do several tankfulls and compare MPG before and after the Chip was installed to say conclusively that its no better.
True but i cant imagin that it would be anything great like the 20% i was sold.I will be keeping on checking on every fill as i always have but the fact remains that my display was always accurate and now its 10 MPG off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers useful information and what I always suspected about tuning chips. Fine for more power but not for more MPG without a power reduction.

I hate EGRs they chuck a lot of muck into the throttle body and inlet manifold I suspect reducing efficiency over time. When I took the manifold of a three year old diesel Jeep Patriot the amount of sludge and tar in the throttle and manifold from the EGR was disgusting.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using AutoGuide App
its not much diff with the ceed manifold.opened mine and it was full of gunk.

·
Registered
RIP :( 2010 Pro_Cee'd - Infra Red 2
863 Posts
Welcome to the forum aymeric, I think the tuning boxes usually make a big difference to the 'indicated' consumption as they're fooling the engine somehow, but from what I've read on here they don't make much difference to the real mileage per tank.

Quite a few on here rate them for better performance though, so if you find it makes little difference after a good few tank fulls, maybe set it to level 4-6 to see if you get more power with similar MPG's.

I hope the car's had a good oil change & service now you own it, as it sounds like the last owner neglected it somewhat :(

Good luck and hope you enjoy your new car :)

·
Registered
Pro Ceed 1.6 Crdi Challenge
159 Posts
I prefer remaping od ECU chip box is not but cheater... Your turbo will broke sooner

·
Registered
Pro Ceed 2 1.6 CRDi (113)
182 Posts
I would imagine the inlet manifold (swirl flaps) and EGR valve are covered under the warranty are they not? I will be disappointed if they are not. My '06 astra had loads of shit in there, worst invention ever the EGR valve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts