Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Sorento LX 3.3L RWD, 2006 Sportage LX 2.0L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my Sorrie 5/22/12 and I swear every time I drive it I like it more. I just checked my MPG yesterday when I got gas. 22.7 MPG- mixed town/highway driving. Woo Hoo! My last vehicle, a 2007 F150 only got 15 MPG. This little SUV rocks!

However, looking on this forum and on Sorento.com I have read of some issues that are very concerning. Things like crankshaft bolts breaking, overflow boxes failing, transmission issues, etc. Can anyone tell me of any specific issues that relate to my vehicle that I should address or watch for. My Sorento is a 2008 LX, 3.3 liter engine, auto transmission, RWD only, and has 54,000 mile on it.

Thanks in advance for any info.....

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
You say you have read of issues on the forums. One thing to keep in mind is most people who are happy with their car, wont generally post on a forum and say that. They will post when they have a problem. So yes, chances are you will see every problem almost everyone has had on these vehicles by crawling the forums... So just take what you read with a grain of salt, and keep that in mind.

The 3.3 is generally a good engine, and has a timing chain. Which i think is a good thing as no big 100000km service where you have to change the timing belt. Haven't heard of many issues with the gearbox either.

One semi common thing is the electrics are a little hit and miss by the looks of things. So if something doesn't seem to be working as it should, clean the contacts/part with electrical contact cleaner, and give it a go. With your RWD, you wont have any 4WD issues, which plauges all 4wd's with electrical engagements rather than purely mechanical by the looks of things...

Haven't heard of crankshaft bolts breaking, and the overflow tank i think only really affected the first batch. But the overflow is so simple to change, you can do it your self...

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
As your engine has chain driven cams you won't have crank bolt problems. They only apply to the earlier Mitsubishi design engine where the crank pulley has to come off every 100,000 km to change the timing belt. The 2wd models were prone to failure of the centre bearing on the tailshaft but it is easy to replace. Only issues with the 5 speed auto is that you must use the (expensive) Kia oil in it, and some models suffered from erratic shifting due to an unshielded wire in the wiring harness. In most cases by now it should haveq been fixed by the dealer. By all accounts the 3.3 litre engine is a good one, capable of quite good fuel mileage. A few people have reported noisy hydraulic lash adjusters if the oil is not changed regularly or wrong grade / cheapo oil is used, but that is common to most modern engines.

·
Registered
'08 Sorento, '18 Civic Type R, '90 Vortech Supercharged TransAm, '03 VF-34 WRX, '97 Del Sol SI
146 Posts
Sounds like you are getting good fuel economy.

The only significant problem i have had with my '08 LX with the 3.3L is a coolant leak from the thermostat housing.

but that was at only 27,000 miles and required a total of six trips to two Kia dealerships to get resolved (and then only after i told them to add tracer dye to find the leak they either could not or did not want to find and repair).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts