Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new 2019 Friday, and so far like most of it. I am not to crazy about the Bolsters in the seats. They are a little more aggressive than I prefer, and the one for my back are too close together. Seems maybe designed for smaller Asian people. I am 5' 11, 220 lbs. The other relates to the seats also, they are too low. I was able to set the Drivers power Seat to max height, and that will work, but the manual passenger seat is just too low. My Wife is 5' 8'' tall, and has a great view of the dash board. I will order some seat risers, if the dealer does not have anything.

Car drives and handles very nicely.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've seen this in quite a few newer vehicles. It must be a newer safety standard that we sit lower in the cars where our heads are just above the doors.

I drive a 1998 car, and you sit very high. I remember putting my sons car seat in the back of a 2014 and he started crying because he could no longer see out the windows.

·
Registered
768 Posts
When I had to rent a car due to my parked car being hit, they first gave me a Toyota Camry SE. With the seat all the way up I could barely see over the steering wheel. It was horrible. I think they do it to add headroom so they can sell small cars to tall people. I brought it back and got a Sorento EX.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just picked up a new 2019 Friday, and so far like most of it. I am not to crazy about the Bolsters in the seats. They are a little more aggressive than I prefer, and the one for my back are too close together. Seems maybe designed for smaller Asian people. I am 5' 11, 220 lbs. The other relates to the seats also, they are too low. I was able to set the Drivers power Seat to max height, and that will work, but the manual passenger seat is just too low. My Wife is 5' 8'' tall, and has a great view of the dash board. I will order some seat risers, if the dealer does not have anything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting how opinions vary. I am 6 feet 5 and I feel the seat cannot go low enough. Even at lowest setting seating position is too high, like riding on a wagon. Our 2015 Sorento we had before could get the seat much lower.
Could not get a sunroof due to high seating position.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will look into this next week. Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Interesting how opinions vary. I am 6 feet 5 and I feel the seat cannot go low enough. Even at lowest setting seating position is too high, like riding on a wagon. Our 2015 Sorento we had before could get the seat much lower.
I feel your pain. 6'3 here but all in my torso. I had to forgo the sunroof too. Most cars the dang rear view mirror is either at eye level or slighly below. I HATE it and it's so dangerous having part of my view obscured. The sorento is slighly above so it is fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
145 Posts

So the in your opinion, the seats are made for "smaller Asians" but the height adjustment is too low, made for taller people. LMAO!

·
Super Moderator
9,529 Posts
I made exactly the same for my wife's 2015 Mustang - the passenger seat needed more taller spacers than the drivers seat.

If she wasn't short, I'd have only done the passenger seat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will look into this next week. Thanks
So the in your opinion, the seats are made for "smaller Asians" but the height adjustment is too low, made for taller people. LMAO!
Yep, the spacing between the bolsters is narrow for average size American's. and the base is mounted extra low. I would guess they took there standard seats, and made the mounting bases lower to accommodate the taller American market. My wife is 5' 8'', 140 lbs and the non power passenger seat bolsters are to narrow are restrictive, and the seat is so low, she looks at the upper part of the dash, and part of the windshield. I am 5' 11. and with the Drivers seat set at max height I only see the very rear few inches of the hood.

So basically it seems they made the seat bottoms or bases extra low to accommodate the taller Americans for added head space.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts