Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Optima SXL and 2011 Sportage EX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My new 2013 SXL (with pics)

First, let me start off by saying that I had 2 Kia's. A 2011 Optima EX and a 2011 Sportage EX (both fully loaded). They are both great cars and I use my Optima for my 90 miles a day commute.

I bought the 11 Optima Mar 30 of last year. I had that one for almost 16 months and put right at 30k miles on her. Perfect miles I might add. Averaged 29.3 MPG for the life I had it (I keep track of EVERYTHING!!).

I picked it up from my local dealership after having it's 30k service done. As I drove away from service I saw the best looking car I think I have ever seen. A new 2013 SXL, jet black. I just had to stop.

I wasn't interested in the turbo when I bought the '11 plus they were a bit hard to find when I bought the EX. I've looked into doing all the mods that are done (LED tail lights, DRL's etc). I even made a shopping list and the sources/how to's for each mod. I never got around to doing any of them.

Now they come here with everything I wanted on my EX. Chrome wheels to boot. The turbo wasn't a bad idea either.

So, after driving the SXL just 1 mile, I knew I had to have it. 18 hours later, I drove it away.

Holy crap, what a difference. It's softer yet firmer, faster, smoother, and what a looker it is too. By far the nicest vehicle I have ever owned that is called my "commuter".

I saw someone else asking what incentives are out there and what was a good price. I don't mind telling you (even if it could have been gotten cheaper) I paid $30,340+taxes. For the car, and what it has to offer, I'm happy with the price.

I LOVE THE RED CALIPERS against the all black and chrome rig.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks!!

I've been off the forums for a while but in case it's not listed elsewhere, here are the improvements from the EX to the SXL:

- rear tail spoiler
- LED taillights
- chrome wheels and 18"
- HID headlights
- LED DRL's
- heated mirrors
- electric folding mirrors
- lit door sills
- paddle shifters
- TURBO
- nice (and different I believe than the SX) leather seats. Soft (feel and fit)
- sport tuned suspension. It rides softer and quieter than the EX until you need it then it firms right up.
- LED? Cluster
- red painted brake calipers (all 4)
- FAST BABY! Before you know it you are WAY above the speed limit.

Aside from those few things it's the same car :)

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
I'm still not sure why some of the black SXL's get chrome mirrors and some do not. Personally I like the black mirrors.

Yup..the turbo will haul @ss!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm with you. I haven't seen chrome mirrors yet but I don't think I would like them either. Misplaced and a bit much IMHO. I've seen them on Minis and don't like them either.

·
Registered
2014 Optima SXL
92 Posts
you might want to check the spelling, esl- english as a second language?

Nice car though, i test drove it last thursday. Congrats.

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX, Tech & Premium Touring
570 Posts
yeah ^^ agree the post with the references to models that don't exist was a bit confusing/strange.

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm still not sure why some of the black SXL's get chrome mirrors and some do not. Personally I like the black mirrors.

Yup..the turbo will haul @ss!
There are actually two Limited Package options only for the black: Chrome Limited & Limited. I first test-drove the black with the chrome and didn't really like it, especially after it had just rained and it spotted pretty badly. When I saw the Titanium Silver, I knew that's the one I wanted immediately!

·
Registered
2012 Optoma Hybrid (Light graphite)
169 Posts
My SXL came with the all-weather mats pre-packaged (including the all-weather trunk tray)!
Cool!

"There are actually two Limited Package options only for the black: Chrome Limited & Limited. I first test-drove the black with the chrome and didn't really like it, especially after it had just rained and it spotted pretty badly. When I saw the Titanium Silver, I knew that's the one I wanted immediately! "

I gotcha, thanks for the info..you know I goof with these cars nearly everyday. I never take the time to look at the packages however. Just don't have the time really.

Good choice going with the Silver. Scratches and imperfections won't show like they do on the black. Black looks terrific right off the truck. Give it a few months and the scratches and dents seem to come out of no where.

I considered the top package, but won't use half of that stuff for the extra $4000.
I figured I'd add my own touch with wheels and tint.

I've been pimping out the hybrid one week at a time.lol
Last week it was Wheels and Tint. Probably add the rear window spoiler and upgrade the speakers next along with the weather mats in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Are those Hankook Optimo tires?
Well, after knowing how my wife's Sportage does on the Optimo tires (specifically, in the snow), I decided now to go ahead and upgrade. 2 weeks old and changing already!! I need something that would do great in the snow and give that sporty performance all-around.

After researching I got a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. All I can say is WOW. What a difference. Quieter and very sticky. Not like a dedicated sport tire but definately better than the Optimos.

Old versus new attached.

you might want to check the spelling, esl- english as a second language?
Oops. I fixed what I could.

If you look back I mistyped the title on the thread but my start post was correct and so is every reference afterwards. Some forums allow title changes, but not this one. I couldn't do a damn thing after it posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Optima SXL
92 Posts
okay, themike, i appreciate that you've updated your post on august 13. It looks much better now. That was the sole purpose of my comment.

·
Registered
2013 KIA Optima SXL and 2013 Sorento SX
1 Posts
Kinetic motorsports in Buford Ga. is KIA's race team, they have a Corsa exhast system and they are coming out with a cold air intake. they also have lowering springs for better handling and fuel savings. the exhaust and intake will let your turbo breath for better performance. the also have simulated carbon fiber body parts.
Shop Kinetic Performance Parts — Welcome
hope this helps.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts