Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Kia Sorento SX SUV. Both of the low beam headlights went out at the same time. I changed the headlights, but they still don't work. My high beams, LED's, Reverse lights, back lights, and turn signals all work. I cant figure out what's wrong with my low beams. The fuse box looks Chinese to me, there no one fuse for headlights. I am at wits end, do anyone have an idea of what's going on? Please Help.....:eek::|

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is the parking break partially engaged?

The fuse that controls the low beams (along with other things such as the rear lights and turn signals) is B+2. It's in the engine bay and it's a 60amp fuse. It's right below the "trailer 30amp" fuse.

·
Registered
514 Posts
This would not be a fuse problem since both the high beams and low beams are on the same fuse for each side but separated left and right (B+2 for left and B+4 for right).

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I have had the low beams fail to work on a couple of occasions. I restarted the vehicle and that didn't help, so I drove with high beams for a while. After a few minutes, I pulled over, and restarted the vehicle again, and they worked.

This happened a couple of times mid-2017, and has not happened since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked all the fuses and even changed the Multi-fuse out. I guess the last thing to check is the switch as someone suggested. Its been a tough ordeal, but I might have to pay KIA some money to fix it.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
You might be able to narrow it down if you have a test meter or simple 12V test light - look around the relay for the low beam and see if it's getting power, and whether the power is switched to the low beams. I doubt it, but it's a place to start.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Did you try to track it down?

If you're not comfortable doing that, can you ask your friends or workmates if any of them have those basic skills (and tools), or know someone that does? It would only take a few minutes to determine if the issue was something easily fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine did the same thing about 6 months ago. Changing bulbs didnt help. I thumped one and it came back on for about 15 miles. Took it to the dealer who told me that there is a faulty wire issue in the harness that cannot be tracked down and fixed. The headlight assembly replacement is the only fix. You really have to take quite a bit of the front end apart to change them out. Due to mine being high dollar model, they quoted me $1600.00 to fix my headlights. I run currently on fog lights and highbeams when needed. Surely there is service alert or recall in the works. Are there many others out there?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also , Im curious as to why there is not a alert light on the instrument panel that there is "a light out". Serious safety concern.

·
Registered
425 Posts
EFLYGUY is bang on merely checking fuses doesn't do a lot unless you find one totally blown and the new replacement doesn't blow again. Fuses have 12V on their feed side and load side drops to zero if blown. Hence metering is the only true way to get a handle on the problem The headlight fuse would only have power on both legs normally. There should be a switching relay somewhere that the dash controls. With both sides out a ground maybe culprit if only used for the low beam. I am not acquainted with the electrical in this generation but have trouble shot earlier product. I see its an SX which is auto ON headlamps. Is it that or are you manually turn the switch for them to go on.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I missed this getting bumped earlier this year, but it happened to me again one evening a few months ago. Was driving back from AL and as it got dark, my GF asked if I had my lights on - the switch was on, the indicator in the cluster was lit, but as it got darker I started to doubt, so I turned the switch off and back on - no difference. We happened to stop shortly after - I think for gas. When I re-started the car, they came back.

Just weird..

·
Registered
425 Posts
I had a problem resembling what EFLYGUY just described but it was my fog lights in a new Jeep. Dealer took at least 6 cracks at it replacing stuff over and over. My in dash indicator would come on but neither light would be one. In the end after maybe a dozen visits they replace the Multiswitch (stack switch on the steering wheel side). That did it. It sent the signal to the dash for it to light up but not the TIPM which it had to power the light on. Could be the same thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Kia Sorento SX SUV. Both of the low beam headlights went out at the same time. I changed the headlights, but they still don't work. My high beams, LED's, Reverse lights, back lights, and turn signals all work. I cant figure out what's wrong with my low beams. The fuse box looks Chinese to me, there no one fuse for headlights. I am at wits end, do anyone have an idea of what's going on? Please Help.....:eek::|
Did you figure out what was wrong as I am having the same issue.

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,851 Posts
Check your owners manual for the location of the High and Low beam relays... They should be the same type...
Exchange them H to L and L to H and see if the problem goes from high to low beam headlights... With it being an intermittent problem you have a problem with a bad connection... It may be the relay or the relay socket in the under the hood fuse box...

Find the relays and then put the high or low beams on...wait like 5 minutes and check those relays for getting warm/hot... Each relay should increase in temperature when on... That will give us some directions to follow to help you...
Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts