Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Approaching 30,200 miles, at one year three months two weeks. So far, the only issue I've encountered is low tire pressure. Easily fixed with the cheapo Walmart pump I carry on board. I found why one was getting low the last time I rotated the tires...a small sheet metal screw. 15 minutes with the plug kit fixed that. I have to say, I'm well-satisfied with this car...which brings me to this:

Going down to my son's house Sunday, I saw this...the place was closed, and there was no labeling on the trailer tongue; but when I picked it up, it was next to nothing. Inside, there were some cabinets above the foot of a thin mattress. No kitchen at the rear like some teardrops. I bet the whole thing isn't 500 pounds. Although the manual doesn't recommend pulling a trailer, I have seen hitches, as well as varying tongue weight limits (100 or 200 pounds?). This sure would look good behind my little pillbug. What are the risks to the tranny/drivetrain pulling something like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I don't know about the towing, but you may want to reconsider the color of that trailer. Black in the summer in Texas? That thing will be an oven.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
It appears you have the manual transmission. That's in your favor, for sure. Depending upon how often you use it, adjust your service schedules (oil and trans fluid mainly) to accommodate (and make sure passengers, gear, and tongue weight stay under the GVWR), and you should be fine. You might go through brakes a little more often, but other than that, I can't see any long-term repercussions.

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
It appears you have the manual transmission. That's in your favor, for sure.
automatics are generally far better for towing and usually have a higher tow rating.. unsure of the Rio's rating but if the trailer is feather light, there shouldn't be too much of an issue.

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
According to my Optima manual, 4-cylinder towing is only allowed with a manual transmission. I would think the valve-body of an automatic would have a harder time? I'm just going by inability to tow with my automatic I4 Optima, due to it being an automatic.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
If it's only 500 pounds, that's like 2 big guys in the back seat. Little van should tow OK, provided it's only you and the wife going on a trip. Just leave the big guys at home.

I've driven 1.5 litre cars with big loads (but not trailers); it's OK as long as you keep away from the mountains and drive sensibly. Expect longer braking distances.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
595 Posts
Guess it all comes down to what the tow bar is attached to underneath . . . if there is, in fact, anything there to attach it to.
Even 500 pounds of deadweight can do significant damage to the structure if it's not designed to handle it!
Might find, over time, that you end up with a car that is a few centimetres longer than ours! :)

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
According to my Optima manual, 4-cylinder towing is only allowed with a manual transmission. I would think the valve-body of an automatic would have a harder time? I'm just going by inability to tow with my automatic I4 Optima, due to it being an automatic.
As i said, unsure about the Rio as i can't find reference to it anywhere. I did find an australian reference PDF for the 2003 Rio.. haha and it claims 1100KG tow rating but doesn't specify which transmission. Also 0-100 in 14.3 hehe!

In relation to my comment about autos generally being better for towing. It all depends on the amount of weight you're towing but autos are far quicker at being in the right gear for the situation, and modern autos with 6 speed and so on are almost always in the right torque band, all the time. An auto can absorb some of the load burden due to the torque converter setup, where the fluid coupling can reduce the strain. In a manual, all of the load goes on the direct mechanical link of the clutch plate onto the flywheel. Over time this will destroy your clutch depending on its rating and the load you're carrying.

There are a lot of variables in the situation, but in general automatics are higher load rated, in fact modern automatics are significantly higher.

Unsure of Rio though! Odd what you said about the Optima.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found the guy's ad on craigslist...he makes 'em himself. Weight is 369 pounds, capable of holding another 350 +/- in cargo, totalling around 700 pounds. Price tag threw me off, tho...$5495, and no kitchen. :(

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
I'd be Ok with it with minimum combined weight, flat state towing like florida or kansas. Cars are rated by braking capacity, not engine/tranny capacity. Its not getting started what matters. Its about stopping. And I'd use an automatic and include a cooler of course.

If its just for stuff, ( I cant see how anyone can sleep in it) remember a tow hitch and a flatbed cargo carrier will hold 200# without the wiggle of actually towing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts