Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2002
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Kia sportage this is something new. It happened yesterday two times I'm driving along fairly slow, which is good and it comes to a abrupt stop the motor still running prior to stopping I heard a really loud noise and then it's like someone stomped on the brakes. Any ideals. I'm thinking brakes, transmissions and automatic all the gears work forward and reverse works and Park and neutral motor runs just fine. That's why am tending more to the brakes or differential, but I'm not getting any vibration or noise from the back

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2002
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it too will drive automatic four-cylinder brake fluid is okay transmission fluid about a pint low the noise sounded like somebody just smacked the side of the car didn't seem to affect the engine at all my thoughts if it was the transmission. It should've killed the engine

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I remember this happening, when a front caliper locked-up on me here. .. Always did a full brake service on both sides when this happened (caliper, rotor, pads), 'cause the other side was never far behind .. condition-wise. And would pull the rear drums / check condition of shoes / internal parts, just to be safe.

Always tried to get Cardone brand reman calipers (full caliper & bracket set) for the Sportys when possible, they seemed to be the best quality rebuilts, here in this area. Hope the info. helps.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,865 Posts
Is it too will drive automatic four-cylinder brake fluid is okay transmission fluid about a pint low the noise sounded like somebody just smacked the side of the car didn't seem to affect the engine at all my thoughts if it was the transmission. It should've killed the engine
I'm having difficulty interpreting this.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2002
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a two Wheel drive with a four-cylinder and a automatic transmission. I have checked the brake fluid and is up, where it's supposed to be. I've checked the transmission. It is about a pint low the fluid is still a nice pink color and does not smell burnt

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2002
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remember this happening, when a front caliper locked-up on me here. .. Always did a full brake service on both sides when this happened (caliper, rotor, pads), 'cause the other side was never far behind .. condition-wise. And would pull the rear drums / check condition of shoes / internal parts, just to be safe.

Always tried to get Cardone brand reman calipers (full caliper & bracket set) for the Sportys when possible, they seemed to be the best quality rebuilts, here in this area. Hope the info. helps.
I never even thought about a sticking caliper. When this happens, it does not dart to the left or right. It just sounds like someone smacking the side of the door. This is only happen to times each time the surprise makes me put on the brakes and shift into neutral . I was going to do a brake job anyway so I might as well put this suspicion to rest

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Raybestos Professional Grade reman calipers are also a good choice - have used them here on other vehicles / good build quality - can recommend.

I'd pay the few extra $$$ and stay away from the "box store" brands (AutoZone, Advance, etc.) if possible - those always seemed to only last a few years, and had to return/exchange more than 1 rebuilt caliper, due to a shoddy rebuild / stripped or crossed threads, etc. .. back in the day.

I see you are in the same general latitude (NH here), while doing the service: make sure to inspect the flex hoses, and the connections / fittings @ the caliper and supply line sides: remove plastic fender well <-> check the brake lines inside the engine compartment, to inspect as needed. Any obvious condition problems (excessive rust, weeping, etc.) - I'd address those issues also, sooner vs. later.

Glad to see / read there are still 1G Sportys on the road: still have fond memories of the ones I owned, was a lot of fun to drive. I miss 'em. Hope your repair goes well.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2002
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Raybestos Professional Grade reman calipers are also a good choice - have used them here on other vehicles / good build quality - can recommend.

I'd pay the few extra $$$ and stay away from the "box store" brands (AutoZone, Advance, etc.) if possible - those always seemed to only last a few years, and had to return/exchange more than 1 rebuilt caliper, due to a shoddy rebuild / stripped or crossed threads, etc. .. back in the day.

I see you are in the same general latitude (NH here), while doing the service: make sure to inspect the flex hoses, and the connections / fittings @ the caliper and supply line sides: remove plastic fender well <-> check the brake lines inside the engine compartment, to inspect as needed. Any obvious condition problems (excessive rust, weeping, etc.) - I'd address those issues also, sooner vs. later.

Glad to see / read there are still 1G Sportys on the road: still have fond memories of the ones I owned, was a lot of fun to drive. I miss 'em. Hope your repair goes well.
I was thinking something like that the brakes, not the transmission because as I remember when I bought this. I had to replace the master cylinder it was leaking profusely, this happened two times last Thursday I have tried to make it do it again. It will not pretty strange. Maybe I have a poltergeists:oops:

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 2002
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wanted to give everybody a heads up. I figured out finally. What was wrong with that Kia locking up. It was the brakes. The driver side rear blocks solid when I backed out of my driveway to go and break whatever was causing this. I figure killer cure while now I can cure thanks for all your help and suggestions

1 - 10 of 10 Posts