Kia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ten months ago I bought a new 2013 Kia Sorento 4 cyl AWD. The vehicle shakes so bad it could be used as a paint mixer. Kia Canada has denied that it shakes then admitted that "there is a harmonic vibration" then said "they all do that" then said there was a service bulletin and a "fix" when that did not work then they said it "just needs to get broken in (the vehicle was already at 12,000km) then they said they had another service bulletin and another fix, then they told me that there's nothing wrong with it. I did some research and discovered that Kia put a new 4 cyl engine in the 2103 and it did not pass North American emission standards. To pass EPA Kia retarded the timing to allow for still burning fuel to be expelled through the exhaust stage thus making the catalytic converter burn hotter which passed the EPA standard. This "fix" not only robs engine performance but also created a very rough vibration, to fix that Kia put another computer program in to increase the RPM this does not stop the shake but makes it somewhat less noticeable in some vehicles. Mine still shook terribly. The owner of the dealership drove it and said "they all do that" and then suggested if I didn't like it to "take us to CAMVAP. I don't care" They did yet another "service bulletin" fix (changed a pulley and the alternator) and it still shakes when it idles down and gets just as horrible gas mileage. Nine months later I am still driving a piece of junk that gets worse gas mileage than an eight cylinder 4X4 heavy duty truck. My mileage is almost double what I was promised the vehicle would get. When I complained about the mileage I was told by Kia Canada that "that is not our problem" and the dealership told me "it just needs to get broken in" (now at 24,000km) I bought this because of the gas mileage, I could not afford to drive a truck that gets 20 MPG now I own a very rough idling 4 cylinder paint mixer that gets 15 MPG. Kia is a foriegn national company that is dumping junk on Canadians knowing full well we can never get restitution or our money back. They were already caught lying about their vehicles mileage performance and forced to change the numbers. This "forum" is rife with posts that when tracked go directly to Kia management...comments like

"hmm... i'm on a 2013 as well, but i don't notice what a few of you are saying about the idling being rough

it's very soft to like nothing, maybe because i came from an old car with very rough idle? LOL

the first 2 weeks driving the Sorento 2013, i always though the car was Off, as i can't feel the vibrations, but then you look at the dash, and everything is lit up, so it's fine.

It's an odd sensation for me, since i'm used to feeling the car revs when idling or going up/down gears

even when i drive the Sorento in semi-"manual" mode i can't get the feel of the engine revs, everything is too soft and quiet in this SUV."

Come on Kia not all Canadians are this stupid. Or how about the Kia worker who posted a comment saying that "if you use the ECO saver mode it will stop shaking." Again a foreign National Company deliberately lying to try and deceive and continue to rip off North American buyers. Kia is a disgrace and I will never buy another Kia product ever...neither should you.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
Im not sure if trolling or serious? You did test drive the car and looked at the milage sticker before purchasing the car right?

What engine are you talking about that KIA "slipped" in by cheating? Who or where did you get that info from? Your dealer and Kia Canada have reviewed your car and case and told you to get over it its not a problem....

I will buy many more Kia's just from this post alone. lol.

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
Too bad your car was probably assembled in the US, and Kia Canada has it's own CEO, so technically, not REALLY a foreign nat'l company, but the parent company is not Canadian, correct. Kia Korea doesn't take care of you, it's Kia Canada, so you shouldn't blame Kia Korea.

Do you track the posts that you think are written directly by Kia management?

Maybe you just got a bad car, which is possible. If you don't like it so much, get rid of it and be done with it. I don't know why you kept it for 9 months...if that's true and you're not making this story up.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
its because you are "KIA worker"!

lol
Crap my cover is blown.

Abort! Abort mission. They are on to us...

On a serious note, what do you expect us to do? You possibly got a lemon, if all this is true, and a mojority a large majority have little to no problems at all. Your on a kia enthusiast site, and you think everyone just will take your word and jump on a bandwagon?

You registered and your one and only post was to complain about something and try to bring down the kia name. Good luck, I have owned 3 kia's now, and love and enjoyed every one.

·
Registered
2013 Silver Sorento EX V6AWD, 2007 Toyota Highlander V6LtdAWD, 2004 Toyota 4-Runner V6Ltd2x4
80 Posts
Ive got 15,000 on my 2013 Kia Sorento EX V6 and I'm lovin mine...

Great engine, nice but firm ride...and great looks...

Saved between $5000-$7,000 by choosing a Sorento versus a comparable model with a different badge..

Sorry you got a car with problems...but all makes have them...look at the recalls...Honda, Ford, Jeep...

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Seems awfully trollish to me.

I'm pretty happy with my Sorento. The only real nit I have is what I feel to be a poorly implemented audio system. The UVO solution is just plain kludgy and frustrating to use.

As far as the vehicle itself goes, it does exactly what I want and was about $10k cheaper than a competitive vehicle while also offering a longer warranty. Would I buy another one? Maybe. I'm a bit of a tech head and the audio system idiosyncrasies bite me in the fanny often. If future models came with something OTHER than UVO, I'd be a lot more inclined to consider it. Also, they're not nearly as price competitive any longer now that Kia made significant pricing changes for 2014.

Best,

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX V6
65 Posts
Seems awfully trollish to me.

I'm pretty happy with my Sorento. The only real nit I have is what I feel to be a poorly implemented audio system. The UVO solution is just plain kludgy and frustrating to use.

Best,
Sauron,
Have you updated yours speakers ? I am very pleased by my sound quality after small and cheap upgrade. UVO functionality and number of features , well, I would say acceptable. The only huge bug to me is - it does not remember playing mode and current folder.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Sauron,
Have you updated yours speakers ? I am very pleased by my sound quality after small and cheap upgrade. UVO functionality and number of features , well, I would say acceptable. The only huge bug to me is - it does not remember playing mode and current folder.
Nah, I haven't bothered. My issue isn't with the quality of the sound, but the really poor user experience. Voice recognition isn't particularly good, I've had constant struggles with using USB devices for audio playback, and the bluetooth connection to my phone sometimes needs me to coax it to connect.

The USB thing is really annoying. Hit a bump and it will randomly "lose" the USB connection to the device, switch to the radio and then re-read the contents of the 32GB or 64GB device I've got attached. If you're streaming music from the phone, and this happens, it will interrupt the phone stream, switch to the radio, and then re-read the USB fob. No amount of tweaking, tightening up the physical connection of the FOB, etc has had any affect. So I've mostly just not used the USB connector for anything other than charging devices.

The bluetooth thing is a lot less serious. It usually links with my phone (either a Galaxy S4 or an iPhone5). But maybe 15-20% of the time, it doesn't and I have to manually fiddle with the UVO touchscreen interface to coax it to sync with the phone. The touchscreen isn't that sensitive and you've got to dig down a few menu levels for something that ought to be more readily accessible (and ought to just happen automagically).

If someone offered a replacement unit that was reasonably priced (forget about the $2k unit that some guy keeps trying to hawk on the forums here), I'd dump the UVO system in a heartbeat. It's THAT bad. It's a major fail.

Drivetrain-wise, I have no complaints.

Best,

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio5, manual, roll up windows. 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 5.9L V8
343 Posts
FYI, an engine that has retarded timing will run smoother...

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX 4cyl AWD 2012 Sorento EX V6
148 Posts
Ten months ago I bought a new 2013 Kia Sorento 4 cyl AWD. The vehicle shakes so bad it could be used as a paint mixer. Kia Canada has denied that it shakes then admitted that "there is a harmonic vibration" then said "they all do that" then said there was a service bulletin and a "fix" when that did not work then they said it "just needs to get broken in (the vehicle was already at 12,000km) then they said they had another service bulletin and another fix, then they told me that there's nothing wrong with it.
Kia Canada is a joke, but do you have proof that the messages on here are from Kia management?

From my experience Kia Canada management doesn't even read or use their own material, let alone the superior information available on this board.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Im not sure if trolling or serious? You did test drive the car and looked at the milage sticker before purchasing the car right?
Before you go blasting him, you should know that Hyundai/Kia were caught red-handed falsifying their mileage stickers. Because there is hardly any consequences for that kind of misconduct, they doing a half-hearted gas card refund to the customers they tricked.

So when you mock someone for not looking at the mileage sticker, you are are sort of revealing you aren't well informed on the topic.

As for your totally positive experience, that's great. But what are you accomplishing by posting about it in such a non-constructive way?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Before you go blasting him, you should know that Hyundai/Kia were caught red-handed falsifying their mileage stickers. Because there is hardly any consequences for that kind of misconduct, they doing a half-hearted gas card refund to the customers they tricked.

So when you mock someone for not looking at the mileage sticker, you are are sort of revealing you aren't well informed on the topic.

As for your totally positive experience, that's great. But what are you accomplishing by posting about it in such a non-constructive way?
Why act as if Hyundai/Kia are the only ones who falsely advertised the gas mileage? Do you not know how many other manufactures do that, get complaints from buyers and don't do a single thing about it? Hyundai/Kia did the right thing and reimbursed the owners for their mistake.

Why do people always make such a big deal about this...Just take your damn gas card and move on. You're lucky you got it in the first place.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Why act as if Hyundai/Kia are the only ones who falsely advertised the gas mileage? Do you not know how many other manufactures do that, get complaints from buyers and don't do a single thing about it? Hyundai/Kia did the right thing and reimbursed the owners for their mistake.

Why do people always make such a big deal about this...Just take your damn gas card and move on. You're lucky you got it in the first place.
It's not an act, it's a fact.

The auditor found Hyundai Kia gave fraudulent mileage for almost a MILLION vehicles, systematic lying about the mileage on cars all throughout their product line. The scale of their deception was grossly unprecedented in the EPA's history, and civil and criminal charges are being considered.

We're talking about an industry that's doesn't have the best reputation, so when you stand out as the new record holder for gas mileage fraud, that's noteworthy.

Sure all the automakers do their best to stretch and make their mileage number look a bit better. But what Hyundai and Kia did was exceptional, blatant, deliberate, and done on a huge scale. Do some homework and try being objective.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts

Well the OP has NOT been back.......Looks like a troll to me.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Do you even own a KIA?
No, I don't. But I am a parts manager at a Kia dealership. I've been a parts manager for over 27 years total now. Does that qualify me to be a Mod and a member?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.