Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Kia 2011 Optima that I've only had less than 2 years is wearing tires on the front at a fast pace. I noticed a drift to the right and took it in to the dealer and they said it needed a an alignment, so I got it. That was at only 15,000. I got it and still noticed the drift so I took it back and they told me nothing was wrong, so I let it go. Well it got to the point that I noticed my left tire was wearing very fast to the point it was now showing wire, so I took it back and they told me it need another alignment so I got it that didn't help. Now they tell me it needs tires at only 33,000 miles. I have had a Kia Optima before a 2006 and it didn't need tires until about 50,000 miles. They tell me that it's the tires that are coming on the new model that they are softer tires and will only last about 20,000 to about 30,000. Is anyone having this issue because I swear I didn't notice it until they messed with my front end. I can't afford tires every 20,000 miles if it's a front end problem, and really don't want to spend the money to put any one anyway if it's a issue with the car. So please tell me if anyone is out there having this problem and then maybe I can believe it's the tires. I'm thinking about replacing them with NexunN5000 when I do get some.:mad:

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,411 Posts
The Nexens that come on these cars are about one step above junk, and you should be ecstatic that you got 30k out of them. The N5000s will probably wear worse than the OE tires. I regularly see these cars with OE Nexens and less than 20k with completely worn out tires. My recommendation would be to get away from Nexen and go to a good name like Cooper or Uniroyal. I installed a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw Tourings on a customer's car after he wore his Nexens out at 15k, and at the rate they are wearing he should get 40k or so out of them.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
There have been reports of Optima pulling right, so investigate that as soon as you fit the new tyres; it's more than just the (adjustable) alignment. 33,000 miles is good going from Nexen. Wear on our Cerato with Nexen has been (estimated) 30,000 km on the front and 50,000 km on the rear.

I like Michelin and Yokohama tyres. Michelin Energy tyres are wearing well on our Mazda (about half worn at 35,000 km). Too early to tell about the wear rate on Yokohama, but seems OK.

·
Registered
'11 Optima EX 2.4L GDI Automatic
330 Posts
The Nexens are made for about 40k miles. They are LRR tires so they are light weight and softer rubbber, hence increased ware.

I'm thinking I may for with a set of Good Year touring tires, but I've been torn as I'm no convinced they will lower my road noise.

·
Registered
2016 Cadenza white Premium Tech package
180 Posts
I would have to agree that the tires on the Optima are the only con I could say after 4 weeks of ownership .I am thinking about changing to Continental DWS 225/45/18 Thoughts comments would be appreciated

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I would have to agree that the tires on the Optima are the only con I could say after 4 weeks of ownership. I am thinking about changing to Continental DWS 225/45/18 Thoughts comments would be appreciated
Nexen tyres on our Cerato were acceptable, but obviously not "top tier". Rather than rotate, we left the fronts on until they were just about worn out (25,000 km) and replaced them with Yokohama; better handling and less noise. Leaving Nexen on the rear for the time being. Couldn't really justify dumping the set straight off.

225/45-18 are usually an expensive size of tyre. Oz prices start at $250 (Nexen!) and range up to about $850 (Bridgestone, Michelin etc.). Bridgestone are nice tyres if you can afford them but they are grippy rather than long-wearing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just took my Nexens off of my 2013 SX with only 200km on them. Put a set of Toyo Proxes 4 Plus....ride is a lot quieter and handling is great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts