Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone here can help me out. I have a 2000 Kia Sportage that I was planning on donating to a charity in two months. I'm moving to a place with great public transit, so I felt safe in largely ignoring its rather bad oil leak. I just put oil in when the oil light came on and I figured I could limp it along until I moved.

Today it died. While I was driving. The engine stopped, the steering and brakes went as well. I managed to park it safely and walked home. I've since been back and put oil in it assuming the engine has seized. However, the leak was still going when I got there and the engine turns over but doesn't catch. When I hit the gas pedal, I hear a thumping sound. Since it doesn't seem to be seized I hope I may still able to get some use out it if I can get it to start. Does anyone have an idea what may be going on?

Thanks for advance for any help you may be able to provide.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Where was the oil leaking from?

It must be a bad leak if the oil gets low enough to trigger the oil light. Possibly enough damage has been done to prevent the engine starting due to low compression. Check compression to see if it's a write-off.

Brakes and Steering problem may simply be due to engine being stopped.

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2.0L DOHC 4x4 Auto.... 1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L SOHC 4x4 Auto.
27 Posts
I'll have to ask some questions....;)

Does the oil leak outside of the engine onto the ground?
Does it blow white smoke out of the exhaust, when driving?
Can you smell oil when driving?
How would you rate the overall performance of the engine when it was running? out of 10
Have you got your car back home yet?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts