Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've just traded my Landrover Freelander for a brand new Sorento XE. I have to say I'm really pleased with it, it's in a different league. :D

I have had it a week. I've noticed when I shift gear from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, it's not that smooth. Is this because it's new or do I have a problem?

·
Registered
Sorento XS Auto 2005
46 Posts
It should get less notchy with more use. It is a long throw from 1st to 2nd and you need to use a lot more of your pedal travel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
sheffjon 2 days ago i mentioned the same problem with mine :angry: !a friend changed the hole transmision with the warranty at 5.000 km now he has 35.000km and he still has the same problem :angry:
have you asked your kia dealer
in your town what he says on this?i will be very intrested to hear from your side if you find out something...
my kia dealer says they might need to bring down the transmision and replace some parts..have you noticed when the revs start to drop on changing gears the gearbox works very smooth?
jonno no m8 even if you use more pedal travel it doesn work there is a problem on this and here in greece no one can give me and other owners an answer
on this!only a few km i have done and they want to bring down the trasmision
i dont know what else i can say...searching on this everywere maybe someone will give us an answer :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

I've had my Sorento since March '04 (also trading in a Freelander for it) and had (have) the same problem with gear change. I queried it with the dealer who assured me it is not a problem, but did offer to have a look if "it got worse" . I've been meaning to go in and test drive another Sorento to see if it was the same, but sounds like it is a common 'problem'.
It certainly hasn't got better with time, but neither has it got worse. If I take more time moving the lever through the gate it's not so bad, but would be intersting to see how common it is, and if anyone has succeeded in getting it cured

·
Registered
5 Posts
penlander and others that have this problem done some researching and found whats going on, well there is a problem with the transmission!if you want to shift gears fast and drive fast! :D
you need to change the hole transmission brand new and the CLUTCH plate the hole {kit}if you only change the transmission the problem will still exist :angry:
this is from germany and the mechanics in kia have done some experiments on the sorentos with manual gears and on this problem and found out without changing the clutch kit the problem was still there :angry:
but driving cool as you all have noticed pressing the clutch on the gear change waiting for the revs to drop for 2,,3 seconds more the gears change smooth!a question that seems to bother me as well why this small delay on the revs to drop maybe this can be fixed and will help? :huh:

Mine is 2005 model with only 1000km and KIA should be a shamed selling the sorentos without warning us!and recalling back all the sorentos that have this problem! :angry:
kia dealers as it seems just say to sorento owners with manual transmission that thats how it is with no problem :angry:
so what do you do?go in for a change of a brand new transmission?
do i deserve this?on my brand new car? :angry: :angry: :angry:
or make the decision and live with it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dealer does a free check at 1000 miles. I am going to mention then. I am really pleased with the car on the whole. I'm not sure if I want the transmission taking apart on a brand new car. If Kia say its OK, it may be somthing I can learn to live with.

I have noticed it seems to get better as the vehicle gets warmer. It seems to be worse in 4x4 and when the engine has justed started and cold.

Its really strange, I think the term notchy sums it up. 2nd to 3rd gear is the most notchy. :blink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts