Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2006
12 Posts
Hi .. Has a weird problem with my Kia Sorento ... My engine just stopped under steady speed and since it has not started ??????? When I'm going around the starter, is it just as if the star does not cranck the engine ???? Also i removed cover in to the register, and it is correct timed. And when I turn around the camshaft, it's normal compression ????? Receives error message on camshaft sensor. Can this sensor be the reason why it dont turn over the engine???? Crd engine and aut.? Or what can it be?? Had apryciated help here ... Since Kia workshop in Norway,dont have a clue ??? Thanks

We was out driving at normal speed then the engine just died whit a kind of a "snap" sound??? And after this, it seems like it is only the starter engine that runs,when i turn the key..The starter does not engage the engine to cranck?? I took of the Shield for the registry, and everything looks just fine...( Chain) and when i turn over engine by the camshaft its normal compression?? I get fault code in camshaft position sensor.. And everytime i delete it,it just comes back when i try to start???

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,245 Posts
Hi .. Has a weird problem with my Kia Sorento ... My engine just stopped under steady speed and since it has not started ??????? When I'm going around the starter, is it just as if the star does not cranck the engine ???? Also i removed cover in to the register, and it is correct timed. And when I turn around the camshaft, it's normal compression ????? Receives error message on camshaft sensor. Can this sensor be the reason why it dont turn over the engine???? Crd engine and aut.? Or what can it be?? Had apryciated help here ... Since Kia workshop in Norway,dont have a clue ??? Thanks

We was out driving at normal speed then the engine just died whit a kind of a "snap" sound??? And after this, it seems like it is only the starter engine that runs,when i turn the key..The starter does not engage the engine to cranck?? I took of the Shield for the registry, and everything looks just fine...( Chain) and when i turn over engine by the camshaft its normal compression?? I get fault code in camshaft position sensor.. And everytime i delete it,it just comes back when i try to start???
If it does not crank, how did you do the compression test?

Your use of many "?????" is confusing - it looks like you're making a statement, but add the "???", so what is it, a statement or a question?

Sounds like your timing belt is gone, or at least jumped a few teeth.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2006
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi...Yeah.. Its me asking this site... I have a CRD diesel engine.. Timing looks good, and the chain just the same...I get a malfunction in the camshaft position sensor circuit... Do you think that is trigered by the ecu to not engage the starter circuit to my engine?

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2006
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And by the way... All u guys and girls, if you have experienced what i wrote in my very first at this post...abt the engine that wendt in limp mode and stopping a LOT....,.I can now confirm the fact that it was allways the tank mounted filter that glogged uop..For some reason, is it according to my local Kia dealer, that the producer of the diesel tank at my specific model,anyway have used some kind of sedement or stuff inside the fuel tank,that realeases something that glog the filter

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,245 Posts
Hi...Yeah.. Its me asking this site... I have a CRD diesel engine.. Timing looks good, and the chain just the same...I get a malfunction in the camshaft position sensor circuit... Do you think that is trigered by the ecu to not engage the starter circuit to my engine?
How about you respond to my previous questions.

If it does not crank, how did you do the compression test?

·
Super Moderator
11,245 Posts
Weeelll... I just turn it by a wrench on one of the camshafts...,.
Not only is that very bad practice, you cannot do a compression test that way.

If your Kia dealership is incapable, take it to an independent service centre.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,878 Posts
2.5lt diesel has more than 1 chain on the front of the engine. Most usual problem is the tensioner(s) failing. Then there are potential issues with injector blow-by due to leaking seals (over-pressure the crankcase) and blocking of the oil strainer in the sump causing issues. Not to forget usual diesel turbo issues with age and mileage.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2006
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But during to my dtc is the only faultcode i get on the camshaft position sensor. And where and what do you mean by more than one chain at the front of the engine? When i try turn the engine whit the starter, its just like it dont engage the turning of the engine to cranck.. Its like no resistence at all....

·
Super Moderator
11,245 Posts
But during to my dtc is the only faultcode i get on the camshaft position sensor. And where and what do you mean by more than one chain at the front of the engine? When i try turn the engine whit the starter, its just like it dont engage the turning of the engine to cranck.. Its like no resistence at all....
Not sure what you're trying to say with that part in bold - have someone check the engine and camshafts while you crank it with the starter, and if the crank and cams are rotating and it seems like there's no resistance, then it indicates that you have no compression.

Do a proper compression test, and post the results for each cylinder.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
And where and what do you mean by more than one chain at the front of the engine?
I mean 3 chains. See schematics attached; Chains A, B, C with associated tensioners. If you check with suppliers you will typically see them listed as a set (about £100 here).

Attachments

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2006
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is no ratation parts at the engine side of the starter.. The only thing that rotate are the starter it self

·
Super Moderator
11,245 Posts
There is no ratation parts at the engine side of the starter.. The only thing that rotate are the starter it self
You'll need to get the starter fixed and then do a compression test.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
And by the way... All u guys and girls, if you have experienced what i wrote in my very first at this post...abt the engine that wendt in limp mode and stopping a LOT....,.I can now confirm the fact that it was allways the tank mounted filter that glogged uop..For some reason, is it according to my local Kia dealer, that the producer of the diesel tank at my specific model,anyway have used some kind of sedement or stuff inside the fuel tank,that realeases something that glog the filter
Yes, but that does not exactly explain the symptoms you described when it stopped and since. In any case the clogged tank strainer is easily fixed (via the hatch access under rear passenger seat). If the fuel pressure drops (eg because of clogged strainer) below a certain level, the ecu will prevent engine running in that condition.

In any case Kia UK have been replacing fuel tanks for this very reason on Free-of-charge basis and is well documented. (Kia Sorento fuel tank delamination)

You may also need to replace fuel filter (in engine bay) and hope no particles have made it as far as the high pressure pump mounted on the engine - driven by one of those chains mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2006
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know abt the tank issue... I have controll on that... But for the guy that insinuate i should fix my starter??? I wrote that the engine died while fully engaged... THAT tells ME that the starter at that point, are not engaged and do not have nothing to fo whit MY problem... As an update, i can tell that i yesturday took a diagnostic check and ended up whit DTC P0340 and P0336 ALL INTERMITTENT... I also took some pictures...is there somewhere i can upload them???

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2006
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is something from the reg cain guiding that fell out when i opened the cower for the registry ?

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento
1,293 Posts
Hi there boys and girls... I have this problem whit my plugs are getting soated and i am not able to throttle up from idle speed whitout the engine misfire and stops. Can somone please tell me whats going on??? I think it could be either the catalyst melt down or the fuelpump that have given up?? How is the easiest way to find out of this?? It happend suddenly and for no abnormal use... Thanks:confused:
Soot is usually caused by to much fuel I would check fuel pressure. The fuel pressure regulator is located at the back of the pass. side fuel rail. I wouls start at the basic test before checking electrical problems.

·
Super Moderator
11,245 Posts
I know abt the tank issue... I have controll on that... But for the guy that insinuate i should fix my starter??? I wrote that the engine died while fully engaged... THAT tells ME that the starter at that point, are not engaged and do not have nothing to fo whit MY problem... As an update, i can tell that i yesturday took a diagnostic check and ended up whit DTC P0340 and P0336 ALL INTERMITTENT... I also took some pictures...is there somewhere i can upload them???
No I did not insinuate anything, I made a recommendation that you perform a compression test, and if it was low you then have confirmation that there's a serious internal issue with the engine, such as valve timing, and any start attempts would be futile.

I'm not sure if its a language misunderstanding, but it is very difficult to understand what diagnostic approach you are following, if any.

You stated that the compression was OK, but also state that the starter is not rotating the engine, which leads to an obvious question, how did you do a proper compression test without the starter.

Your description of the problem is not easy to read, and what looks like inappropriate use of "?" makes it more confusing.

You can upload the pictures directly to this site - scroll down and use the "Manage Attachment" button.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
@ron1004
Sorry, but I think merging of threads 5 years apart has confused the issue. Can we concentrate on the current issue? My bad, I missed it earlier when I replied about the tank issue.
@rainman
Taking into account that the starter/flywheel engagement is at one end of the engine and that the crankshaft/camshaft motion is at the other end of the engine, you really need to determine if the engine is actually capable of being turned via the crankshaft (but carefully). This will probably mean removing the glow plugs (it's a diesel guys) which is not necessarily easy but, given your earlier posts about 'oiled plugs' you probably know this. (Or we are talking completely different cars?). In the same instance you should be able to observe if the camshaft is turning at the same time.

Just based on what we know so far I suspect either:
Seized engine and snapped crank (it happens)
broken timing gear
(or both by now)
Since you state the camshaft chain is in place and "ok", a broken lower chain would still disconnect crank from camshaft.
Attempting to rotate the engine via the camshaft, if all were intact, should be virtually impossible due to the high compressions involved.

But, any attempt at diagnosis from the data available is really unreliable.

Inevitably, after all the messing about with the starter, you are seriously going to have to look at resetting the timing just to ensure that nothing goes bang if it does ever start.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts