Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'15 SX, '19 Stinger GT2 AWD
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's how I did mine from materials I had available. The 2015 SX has "flat" badges so this was easy to do. 3D badges on earlier models would not work.

I have a roll of carbon-effect vinyl. The chrome is a roll of "white board tape" - the best chrome tape I could fine. $2 at Michaels crafts store.

Traced the inner ring of the badges onto paper, which I used as a template to cut vinyl for the background. Any mistakes can be trimmed with a sharp blade when installed.

Cut strips of the chrome tape. The only critical part is making sure the angles are close, and then lining them up so the horizontal edges are parallel. I made them long then trimmed with a sharp blade.

Simple, quick, and cheap. Yes if you look closely you can tell that the K is two parts. From a few feet away, they look fine.

I'll see how they hold up. I'm thinking I could cover with clear lacquer if necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Sportage SX AWD
530 Posts
looks good

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice work! I actaully have some red vinyl stock I will try this with to match my paint. Thanks for the great idea eflyguy!
That would look great. The carbon vinyl just happens to be black, which works on my car, but color-matching would be great. You could even just paint some vinyl if you have access the correct color.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento SX
129 Posts
Looks nice! I like how you de-badged you Sorento. That was the first thing I did when I picked up mine was de-badge it and change the logos to the flying K.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone blacked out those reflectors on the bumper? I despise those things..

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX Turbo AWD (sold)
792 Posts
Here's how I did mine from materials I had available. The 2015 SX has "flat" badges so this was easy to do. 3D badges on earlier models would not work.

I have a roll of carbon-effect vinyl. The chrome is a roll of "white board tape" - the best chrome tape I could fine. $2 at Michaels crafts store.

Traced the inner ring of the badges onto paper, which I used as a template to cut vinyl for the background. Any mistakes can be trimmed with a sharp blade when installed.

Cut strips of the chrome tape. The only critical part is making sure the angles are close, and then lining them up so the horizontal edges are parallel. I made them long then trimmed with a sharp blade.

Simple, quick, and cheap. Yes if you look closely you can tell that the K is two parts. From a few feet away, they look fine.

I'll see how they hold up. I'm thinking I could cover with clear lacquer if necessary.
I like what you did there! So much so that I think I'll try this on the steering wheel emblem. I have access to laser equipment and thin gauge stainless sheet. I did the exterior emblems the hard way and its not a fun job. The ones I chose have the faux carbon background with polished stainless steel inlays.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento SX
40 Posts

Not a huge fan, but thats my opinion, and it isnt worth squat. I just dont think it will hold up very long.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Sorento SX Regency Red, 2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2011 Toyota Hiace
573 Posts

Very clean install!

So, where's the DIY guide on our god forsaken DRLS? :D

It looks so good on the SX I wanna do mine pronto!

·
Registered
573 Posts
I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it, look s great!
Yeah man, we should totally do it to our Sorentos.
So we can finally be among the SUVs that have "real" DRLS - which I think is only fitting given that we drive TOTL trims. :)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not a huge fan, but thats my opinion, and it isnt worth squat. I just dont think it will hold up very long.
:D

That's OK. It took a few minutes and I have enough material to do it dozens (if not hundreds) of times. It's been thru the car wash twice. If this attempt peels up, I'll put some clear vinyl over it.

Not everyone likes ketchup on their hamburger (me) - it's OK.. I personally despise the KIA badge. Should have bought a Hyundai? ;)

·
Registered
573 Posts
I', surprised you haven't figured out how to do it yet!
Not so confident fiddling with wires and rewiring them so a detailed guide from a guru would be so helpful :)

OT: I might upgrade my D3S bulbs to a 5000K before the white stuff goes down.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I took some more pics and am going to post but I'm going to put it in The Wizard's thread where he documented the process - and it occurred to me, have you seen this? What about it could I improve to make this easier to follow? http://www.kia-forums.com/1105609-post22.html

His write-up is technically perfect BUT I can see that for people not used to messing with electrical stuff it could be intimidating. I'm assuming actual pictures with THIS WIRE labels would help?

I actually have an EE degree and design and build things electronic, but it took me a while to realize the numbers at the start of each paragraph were the terminal numbers on the relay!

·
Registered
2015 Sorento EX V6 AWD Ebony Black
1,154 Posts
Hey eflyguy,

Is that your stock SX grille? I have Ebony black like you, but my EX has a dull black grille, with chrome trim. I was wondering how mine would look with that type of grille, and if the SX had that grille? If so, your pix, may have answered both my questions? Then I'd Just Hafta Go Get One! Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, that color grill is supposed to be unique to the SX, along with the metal trim below the bumpers on both the front and back. Also larger (19") wheels, which is the reason I selected the SX model. I wanted those wheels in that size.

kia.com has taken down the 2015 page so you can't compare trim. That sucks.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Five months, many car-washes, loads of weather (car sits out, no garage), and they are holding up fine. Gotten several comments asking how I did it (after they asked where I bought them).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts