Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just doing a very quick presentation for my current setup in case anyone is interest on something similar, very cheap from my point of view and I managed to improve my setup and sound by a lot. I have the top end model here in Costa Rica, comparable to an SX in the US, but, below is the radio this came with.

So, naturally I had to do something, cause not only it was crappy looking for a top end model, but also the sounds quality was really bad.

So I bought this radio: US $250.56 28% OFF|Android 9.0 Octa Core 4GB RAM 64GB Rom Car DVD GPS Multimedia Player Car Stereo for KIA SORENTO 2015 Radio Headunit WIFI 3G|Car Multimedia Player| | - AliExpress >> With Android 9, 4GB Ram, 64GB and 9 inch capacitive for $264

And installed this powered subwoofer I already had around: Pioneer TS-WX130DA Compact Active subwoofer >> Big PRO with this SUB, you don't need to run the cables from the battery, it is meant to get the power from the FUSE BOX

Almost almost everything worked plug & play, steering wheel controls, air con interface, rear view camera, temperature, etc, except for the USB, I get power delivered by the radio, but no interaction with the HU.

Anyways, sounds was improved a lot with the stock speakers, lows were finally there and high finally stood up, and later with the powered subwoofer, I was more than happy. I've had the unit for around 6 months and while I'm overall very happy, expect with the interface of the unit, and the interface of the main music apps, like Spotify and YT music cause are meant for a phone, I also didn't liked the phone-call interface and the fact that I was not getting phone text notifications.

So to fix this, I added a new launcher and modified it to my liking, I tried several car specific, ended up with Nova Launcher, and installed an app called HeadUnit Reloaded to get Android Auto, sounds stupid to get AA on an Android HU, but I like it better cause of the small improvements it gives on the maps speed, notification, phone interface and music app interface

Previous launcher:

Current Launcher, I have it looking a little different right now after this pic, and already finding a way to make the interface look like on the new 2021 Genesis G80:

AA working:

The USB, right next to the OEM, hidden away, that's like a 12 year old male-female USB I had, will replace it some day:

Subwoofer install, under driver seat, you can barely see it on the side, but can't from the rear:

Compared to original radio:

FM Radio app and a better picture:

Anyways, for around $400, I got an easy install, looks very much OEM, bigger and faster than any of the name brands, maybe sounds is not as good, but, having owned Kenwoods, Alpines and all of those, this radio really sounds quite good, can't complain, specially that everything works, I can even make the USB work but this was the solution I had laying around, cause I didn't buy anything extra

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX, 2017 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Ecoboost, 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0, 2000 BMW Z3 2.3
48 Posts
looks nice! i've seen these OEM-looking android radios for other applications. (e.g. tavarish on youtube used one on a mercedes build.) quite the game changer.

·
Registered
Sorento LX V6 2018
488 Posts
As one of the resident old farts on the forum (71), way too busy for me. I want my old single DIN style radio back but realize that is not where the market is now. Your install looks very professional, I'm sure the sound is better but would be wasted on my hearing loss ears - all I care about is LOUD as I can't distinguish music anymore unless it's through high end over the ear headphones which are illegal to wear while driving. All my presets are AM talk radio, satellite talk radio and a couple of oldies stations. Congrats on taking something and having the ability to make it over to your liking, way beyond my skill set in today's complicated world of electronics.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,244 Posts
I noticed this rather vague description of the installed map in the specs:
"2. Support Map: Android 9.0 Map"
and
"We will attach a 8G SD card with the newest map of your country."

Do they give you any clue about where to obtain updated maps, whose maps they are based upon (e.g., NavTeq, TomTom, whatever), how often they are released, and how much they will cost to update?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I noticed this rather vague description of the installed map in the specs:
"2. Support Map: Android 9.0 Map"
and
"We will attach a 8G SD card with the newest map of your country."

Do they give you any clue about where to obtain updated maps, whose maps they are based upon (e.g., NavTeq, TomTom, whatever), how often they are released, and how much they will cost to update?
It did come with an 8Gb SD with some maps, but I couldn't care less, they never even asked my country and I assumed it was USA maps, my shipping address from China goes to the US and then to Costa Rica via courier, after all, I ended up deleting those and used the SD to add some baby videos, I have a 2 year old.

As for the App, it has iGo installed, but I've been using Google Maps since day one.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento EX V6
5 Posts
I love the look of the 9 inch screen, looks much better than the 7 inch screen that came with mine. Since this is an android headunit do you know if it will let you open any app you want while driving? I know most headunits prevent any video playback while driving for obvious reasons but lets say there's a specific artist that uploads there music exclusively to youtube, will it let me play it while driving?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love the look of the 9 inch screen, looks much better than the 7 inch screen that came with mine. Since this is an android headunit do you know if it will let you open any app you want while driving? I know most headunits prevent any video playback while driving for obvious reasons but lets say there's a specific artist that uploads there music exclusively to youtube, will it let me play it while driving?
Yes, you can open any app with no restrictions, I used this to show videos to my toddler while getting a new tablet, so it works great on that regards

·
Registered
2017 Sorento 2.2 CRDi Style 7P
1 Posts
I have the Sorento 2017 7p Style in Europe with builtin 360 camera. Would that work with the OEM cameras and activation buttons in the cockpit?

·
Registered
2019 Sorento
82 Posts
I have the Sorento 2017 7p Style in Europe with builtin 360 camera. Would that work with the OEM cameras and activation buttons in the cockpit?
Looking at the available units from Aliexpress, it looks like everything works with their radios. It's a few bucks extra for the USB port part, but that's a small price to pay for full compatibility.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts