Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx+
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to start a thread on my rio. I have bought a few upgrades and will post them here as I go. I have just bought some TOP OF THE LINE detailing products and will post about how it goes. I'm curious how soft/hard the clear coat is on our cars.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx+
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
based upon some other members' cars and mine, it appears its about as soft as melted cheese. Doesn't resist stone chips/bird droppings very well at all!
That is not good. Maybe we should all get some Optimum Opti-coat 2.0. It's a lifetime permanent COATING that goes on and creates a much harder outer shell that is resistant to scratches and chips. Some people say it's much harder than any clear coat out there.
It's about $60. Maybe i'm buying that next year lol

eShine Canada: Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have CQuartz Finest on my car, it is only available to a detail shop not the consumer market. I had my neighbor who is the only one in the state currently certified to apply it do it last week. The car looks great. I will say that I have not had any issues with the paint prior to the coating, I did have issues with my 2012 Soul, the paint was VERY hard and brittle, the Rio not so much. I would say the Rio has pretty decent paint on it not too hard not too soft, I used my Meguiars Dual Action Polisher on it when I first got it and was able to remove 99% of the dealer installed swirls, and on a black car thats saying a lot. There are just a few deeper scratches on the roof line from where they took the tarp off the car prior to delivery that arent noticeable enough to fool with, but would need a good wet sand to make invisible, I opted not to do it and my detailer suggested that I leave them alone as well, I trust his judgement. BE CAREFUL with those permanent coatings, I did my homework on that before having it done to my car, and I would recommend having a professional apply it, I consider myself a hobbyist detailer and know my limits, thats why I went to a pro. On another note if you want an awesome wax check out Collinite 845, that stuff is legendary for its shine and durability, and its not expensive either. You can get TONS of info on everything I mentioned above from Autogeekonline.net

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx+
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have CQuartz Finest on my car, it is only available to a detail shop not the consumer market. I had my neighbor who is the only one in the state currently certified to apply it do it last week. The car looks great. I will say that I have not had any issues with the paint prior to the coating, I did have issues with my 2012 Soul, the paint was VERY hard and brittle, the Rio not so much. I would say the Rio has pretty decent paint on it not too hard not too soft, I used my Meguiars Dual Action Polisher on it when I first got it and was able to remove 99% of the dealer installed swirls, and on a black car thats saying a lot. There are just a few deeper scratches on the roof line from where they took the tarp off the car prior to delivery that arent noticeable enough to fool with, but would need a good wet sand to make invisible, I opted not to do it and my detailer suggested that I leave them alone as well, I trust his judgement. BE CAREFUL with those permanent coatings, I did my homework on that before having it done to my car, and I would recommend having a professional apply it, I consider myself a hobbyist detailer and know my limits, thats why I went to a pro. On another note if you want an awesome wax check out Collinite 845, that stuff is legendary for its shine and durability, and its not expensive either. You can get TONS of info on everything I mentioned above from Autogeekonline.net
Yeah like i said I just got my sealant so when i'm done with that in a year or so i'll see what new products are out there.

I ALWAYS do my homework before any decisions really lol. I researched sealants and waxes for about 10 hrs before I made my choice to go with the blackfire. After going through countless threads on detailing forums it seems the impression is that Wolfgang and Blackfire make the best sealants for dark Vehicles . Due to their amazing appearance and ease of great application.
I am 100% confident with choosing sealant instead of wax. There are so many new technologies in paints every year and synthetic sealants provide the best bonding with those clear coats which is why i chose a sealant (next to permanent coatings). I did read great things about Collinite as a wax, but seeing as we have so much salt here and such a long winter I really need the enhanced protection of a sealant.

Once i'm done the detailing i'll post some pics

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Lx+
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I have all my supplies.

I'm going to put together a little guide in case some other people want to try to detail their cars too who haven't before.

As you can see i did end up going with a clay bar kit instead of doing the newer products like nanoskin or speedy prep towel.

The first picture shows all the products. I have the Meguiars clay bar kit. Blackfire Crystal Seal , Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer Spray , Optimum Car Wash , An Autoglym hand applicator , a microfiber wash mitt , a wheel well brush , and many microfiber towels (not pictured).

Optimum Car Wash
A great conditioning car wash that is lower on the price than many other premium detailing brands , and it is clear coat safe, and wax/sealant safe. Meaning that all the work you put in for sealant and wax will not be wasted after washing your car a couple times. Another alternative I found that seemed to be very cost effective and just as safe is the Duragloss car wash

Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Bar Kit
Just as I've seen in reviews. The first impression is that it is a very small amount of clay. Some people were saying that the Mothers clay kit has about 30% more clay but Meguiars is a little more aggressive so its a faster job. I am going to be very easy on the claying because I do not plan on polishing until the car is a little older and is needing it. The kit includes a microfiber towel to dry the lubricant , two small clay bars , a small bottle of cleaner wax, and their quik detailer that is going to be used as the lubricant. The clay bar is going to be used to take off all invisible contaminants from the paint before any other steps. I have some rail dust and i'll see how it works. Claying should help create a great bond between the paint and the sealant.

Blackfire Crystal Seal
Blackfire is supposed to be arguably one of the best brands out there for sealants. I chose to buy the Blackfire Crystal Seal (spray) vs their Blackfire Wet diamond (liquid) because of the super easy application . Just apply 1-2 sprays per panel , spread very thinly, and done. No buffing needed. The sealant should last a few months with a premium car wash liquid. These products can also be applied to glass, trim, or wheels with no problems at all !

Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer Spray
This is the "topper" or "detailer" for the Blackfire brand. It is a synthetic form of a regular detailer that also contains the sealant polymers. That is going to be used after every car wash to boost the layer of crystal seal and bring back a strong gloss.

My steps in total will be

1. a gentle rinse to remove larger loose particles
2. a slightly pressured rinse to remove more of the loose particles
3. Soaking the Car in car wash suds
4. Re-soak the first panel you will wash (roof), washing the roof, working my way around the vehicle, and finishing with the wheel wells.
5. Rinse off the entire vehicle very well
6. Pat dry with microfiber towels . Trying to wipe as little as possible since contaminants could still be on the car
7. Clay the vehicle.
8. Wash and Dry a second time to remove all clay lubricant (detailing spray). I want the best sealant bonding as possible.
9. Spray the crystal sealant onto a panel and just spread then with the hand applicator. The hand applicator should help give very even smooth pressure.
10. Allow the crystal seal to settle and even out over a few minutes and it levels itself out over the paint.
11. After the crystal seal has flashed/cured over 15-20 minutes I will apply a second coat
12. Spray the car with the wet diamond polymer spray to enhance the gloss and use a microfiber towel to wipe off.

DONE!

In a year or so when i start to see swirls and minor scratches I might use a minor polish before a layer of sealant.

I will post pics of the process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts