Kia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So check this out. I have a 2011 KIA Optima SX. The nicest looking car I owned and the first new car I bought off the lot. Now I will tell you why not to buy one.
1. The turbo since owning the car has broken 10 times
2. The motor blew at 60,000 miles
3. You have to fight until your blue in the face to get KIA to fix anything under warranty properly. All they want to do is place blame on you.
4. The dealers are just as bad at accepting ownership of a problem and today proves it all the way.
Let me build the story of the last month for just the motor issues and the new issues after driving away from the dealer. So a month ago I was driving out I-78 and my car started to loose power and the engine became loud. I pulled over after the oil pressure light started flashing. I called KIA road side assistance for a tow and Got charged 100.00 to take it to Keystone KIA. The first day they looked at it and said it was the motor, the bottom end let loose. They said they would have to call the District rep to have it covered. That Monday the dealer called and said if I could not produce every single service receipt, they would not cover the motor. They said the car was empty of oil and that the oil looked not to be changed. It was burnt. No mention of this on Saturday when they first looked at the motor. I let them know about all the past issues with the car and the fact they asked the same thing earlier in the cars history. I got them what I had and convinced them to cover it. This is now a week later. They said they ordered the motor but it was coming from CA and it would take a week. A week went by and they got the motor but they now have to order a new timing chain. That finally came and I got another call that the oil pump now also had to be replaced. Kia was concerned enough about how long it was taking they sent the case to the regional office. So today I finally go the call to get my car 29 days later.
I got the call my car was fixed and I can come get it but then get another call stating that they needed to replace a sensor that was not bad before and it will cost 280.00. WTF I tried to call the contacts at KIA and no response. So I called the dealer back and asked if it was imperative that this be replaced before driving and they said no it would just leave the non traction light on the dash. I also asked why they would not cover it. They said they touched nothing with the wheels and that they can even remove the motor without moving the tires. They even said that they did not test drive the car so it could not have been something they had done. The receipt says different. Come to find out that sensor is what makes my traction control kick in during bad weather and or tire slippage.
So let me tell you what I am left with after a month of my car sitting at the garage replacing the motor. This will put anyone at the end of their rope. I got in my car and started it to find a dash board with three different lights on letting me know there are issues(Tire pressure, Traction control, ABS). Not just one as they stated. I also drove away to find that the Turbo for the car was nonfunctioning after they replaced parts and said I would never have issue ever again. My car is now drifting to the left while holding the wheel straight. I just had a alignment about two months ago but this is not an alignment issue. Also I spent $1600.00 in rentals. And finally The car will be back this coming week for a fix on all the issues it has now.
I now have to waste another day on the phone and another trip to the dealer. I WISH THEY WOULD JUST REPLACE THE F$%^&*(G CAR.
So as you can see so much for KIA and their class leading warranty their also ways talking about. I also seen between two different dealers that they are unable to properly fix the cars that they are selling the first time. Brown Daub KIA and Keystone KIA

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
2,065 Posts
Sounds like owner abuse to me............

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sounds like owner abuse to me............
How is that owner abuse. The first time the car took a crap was the day after purchase and exactly a week later again and now randomely over the past two years. It has spent over 100 days in the shop and will be going in again this week. To fix the turbo again. :mad:I drive 90 miles day no city all highway. I have watched with each repair my gas milage go to hell. From 36 mpg to now 22 mpg on average. Kia cannot fix the numerous issue associated with my car. I am not looking to hear any one pointing fingers but maybe some help on what was done to there car that I can rely to the dealer. So please keep your uneducated opinions to yourself. :mad:

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
Why would you continue to return to that dealer? Even when my transmission went out in my 07 Optima, my dealer didn't even ask for service receipts. They verified the complaint, and ordered a transmission. Car went in Monday morning, I had it back Thursday evening. I guess it depends on your service department.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima with Premium package
36 Posts
Wow, I'm sorry to hear about all the issues you've had with this car. Could be a "lemon". And $1600 in rental car charges is ridiculous. I'm surprised you haven't sold the car yet.

Anyhow, I agree with the other poster that you should try another dealer. I found many dealers are inconsistent with handling warranty issues.

·
Registered
22 Stinger Gt-Line
186 Posts
Requesting service records is reasonable IMO to show that periodic maintenance/service was done. A car should not be consuming excessive oil at 60K miles. OTOH, checking oil periodically is the owner's responsibility. Had this been done, the issue would of been caught sooner and engine not self destructed. Some earlier nissan vq37 engines (which is what's in my g37) had oil consumption issues. There's a tsb out there to determine if it is a bon afide issue or not. If it is, fix is to replace the engine. Loaner cars is up to the dealer. I do most/all my own maintenance. Keep a log of dates/mileage/what was done, and all parts receipts.

Not sure what kind of engine kia provided your dealer. I find it absurd for a replacement engine to need a timing chain and oil pump. These are inside the engine and should already come with the engine. Sounds like some sort of half assed remanufactured engine. Obviously not very well if it still needed these components.

The vehicle comes with a 5 yr/60K mile basic warranty. This is your bumper to bumper coverage. This covers everything. You say above that the car has 60K miles. Is it exactly 60K or over? I can see kia covering whatever part failed (speed sensor??) if you're slightly over 60K, given all the other issues as a form of goodwill. If you're significantly over 60K, then you pay for that out of pocket or extended warranty picks it up.

Seems there are some pieces of the puzzle missing. Mind you, I can't stand kia/hyundai (for other reasons), but if owner neglect was a contributing factor, then be prepared to pay the price too.

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX, Tech & Premium Touring
570 Posts
Yeah, something seems off here. Sorry for your trouble but something isn't adding up to me either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car has 63478 mile to be exact. The oil was check monthly and this is the second dealer to be working on the car. The Saturday the car was checked for the engine the dealer said the motor was blown and he would have to get the district parts dealer for kia to approve the engine. I asked what caused it and he said he could not tell with out stripping the motor but what he could see all looked in order. That all changed after talking to the parts dealer that Monday. Now it is empty with oil and the oil is burnt. I told them I was also asked about the the burnt oil at a turbo issue at 12000 miles and the tect made a note of it. So it has been a on going issue. And that was with them doing the oil changes. Even to day the dealer after receiving my car at 7:00am called me to tell me the car was 100% fixed. I asked them how they can be sure when they have not tried a cold start on the car. The main issues arise with the turbo when the car has set for a period of time. so they are keeping over night and test driving first thing in the morning. And not selling the car is because of the financial hit I would take on the car. Your right in saying something does not ad up but to assuming I was not taking care of the care is not at all fair either. Sometimes a car is truly a lemon and this car has given the full meaning of one. I love my car and enjoy it more then any other car I have driven but I hate the issues and lack of ability to fix the car to its full potential. I thought I would get some ideas not questioning of my integrity.

·
Registered
2011 Optima SX, Tech & Premium Touring
570 Posts
Good luck with this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
today was the second day of the dealer fixing the turbo. After all the fixes they did yesterday the turbo was out again. Now Kia made them do more adjustments and they have to wait another day to test it. I am also paying to get the Vehicle speed sensor replaced. The service manager told me 280.00 and the tech who called quoted me 225.00. I asked if this was the listed price in the system and he stated this has always been the price. Either way it will hopefully all be fixed enough to sell it!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
NA V, K3
259 Posts
If it was me...even after the 3rd turbo fail, I'd be seriously be thinking about selling it or trading or something...and not wait for the 10th fail and 60,000K+ miles to come to that decision. Even if there was a financial hit. Just me and what I would do for peace of mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts