Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Kia Spectra5 SX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I buy/sell a lot of computers/laptops/tablets, etc.

In that regard, I'm trying to make this thing more optimal for mobile testing of computers, including those that don't have their own batteries.

Here's my goal, long-term:

1. 500-watt or higher Inverter (the previous owner had a car-audio amp installed, will just use those leads. They look like some serious gauge wire).
2. Drop-down/fold-down mounted LCD Monitor under the rear trunk "cover," or perhaps a fold-down one mounted on top of it? not sure.
3. permanent wireless hotspot for mobile internet needs.
4. (not quite related to the computer thing, but still a long-term goal) Install a backup cam. current stereo has video inputs already for this. Just need to run the stupid wires.

Other goals that are more geared at mechanics and aesthetics of the car itself include:

1. Replace the Hood (one of the prior owners had it open on them on the highway, and they just hammered it back into shape)
2. Figure out how to remove the dents on the roof (where the hood primarily impacted the body of the car)
3. Maybe eliminate the Cat, as emissions in Washington State recently loosened up a lot

That's that, for now! As a bonus, here are some pics of it how it currently stands:

·
Premium Member
2008 Kia Spectra5 SX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’d happily take any wiring diagrams you’d like to share.

It initially had O2 sensor issues, but that’s been hopefully thwarted. But since my state just passed a loosening of emissions requirements, figured I’d just get rid of it in hopes to create better flow.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,954 Posts
You NEED the primary O2 sensor as it reads the air/fuel mixture and the ECM uses it to create the proper air/fuel mix...
The secondary O2 sensor being deleted will cause the "check engine" light to come on and it will set a code for such...
Unless the catalytic converters are plugged I'd leave them alone as you won't gain much by removing them... These cars are NOT in any way a performance vehicle and you will gain very little with "mods"...
Enjoy it for what is is... There are a lot of Spectras in pull-a-part yards and you may be able to find a black hood ...Both the SX and the Spectra5 use the same hood and fenders... The headlights (black trim) and the grill are special for these cars... You may have some problems with the alternator charging the battery and if so check the grounds bolted to the frame under the battery tray... Check for 13.4v at the battery if it is low (around 12.4) remove clean and apply silicon grease to these connections before bolting them down... If the car is an automatic drain and refill the transmission fluids... also change the timing belt as the engine is an interference type and "if" the belt breaks or slips timing you will damage the engine... Beyond these suggestions these cars can and do go beyond 300k with proper care...
Dave

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Premium Member
2008 Kia Spectra5 SX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You NEED the primary O2 sensor as it reads the air/fuel mixture and the ECM uses it to create the proper air/fuel mix...
Noted. Will opt for just replacing the cat, then, when the time comes.

Unless the catalytic converters are plugged I'd leave them alone as you won't gain much by removing them... These cars are NOT in any way a performance vehicle and you will gain very little with "mods"...
Noted. I understand that these aren’t exactly “performance” vehicles, but I’m all for small gains where possible and if worth it. Rena it may not be here, though.

Enjoy it for what is is... There are a lot of Spectras in pull-a-part yards and you may be able to find a black hood
I have yet to come across any in my local yards. I did find a local guy parting a black 2008 SX sedan, though. Trying to get in touch with him.

You may have some problems with the alternator charging the battery and if so check the grounds bolted to the frame under the battery tray... Check for 13.4v at the battery if it is low (around 12.4) remove clean and apply silicon grease to these connections before bolting them down...
Good tips here. I haven’t even done a overall checkup of things like connectors and such. May end up just opting for a new battery eventually, but the one in there seems fine so far.

If the car is an automatic drain and refill the transmission fluids...
It’s a 5MT

also change the timing belt as the engine is an interference type and "if" the belt breaks or slips timing you will damage the engine...
Very important info here. I’ll have to inspect and possibly change the belt soon, then. At 200k miles, I’d rather not leave that to “hope”

Beyond these suggestions these cars can and do go beyond 300k with proper care...
Dave
I hope to drive this thing for at least another 50k miles before I pass it on for the next thing.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,954 Posts
Because you have a MT and I also have the same (Spectra SX)... If the clutch starts giving you problems sticking check the plastic sleeve that the clutch shift arm goes through into the bell housing/tranny... Mine seized holding the clutch in the depressed position... One day it worked the next no clutch.. I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, and bearing (quite a job) thinking they were the cause (120K miles)... Put it all back together and I had the same problem with it... It turned out to be that bushing seized to the shaft...
It is cheap at the KIA dealership... It is made out of a bakelite type of material and it was a bitc# to get out with it all reassembled... This is just some info "just in case"... I was surprised to see how much power the 2.2l put out with a manual compaired to my wife's automatic...
Dave

Reactions: kmorton1988
1 - 5 of 5 Posts