Kia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 KIA Sorento
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 Sorento stops running with a jolt while driving. No engine light appears. It won't restart immediately. I must wait 10 minutes or more and then it needs a considerable amount of cranking. I"ve been told it's probably either the Crankshaft Position Sensor or the Camshaft Position Sensor. I replaced the fuel pump, mass air flow sensor and throttle position sensor with no change. How can I determine which one is faulty?

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
279 Posts
My 2003 Sorento stops running with a jolt while driving. No engine light appears. It won't restart immediately. I must wait 10 minutes or more and then it needs a considerable amount of cranking. I"ve been told it's probably either the Crankshaft Position Sensor or the Camshaft Position Sensor. I replaced the fuel pump, mass air flow sensor and throttle position sensor with no change. How can I determine which one is faulty?
First off, what codes are stored in the computer (it'll have codes, even if the CEL isn't turned on).

Replace BOTH the crankshaft and camshaft sensors at the same time. The sensors themselves are not much. You didn't say how many miles you have, but if you didn't change the timing belt, now would be a good time for that too.
My '05 did the same symptoms a few months ago, but it did throw a CEL. My '03 Town & Country a couple years ago had the same problem (didn't throw the CEL). They replaced one sensor, didn't fix it, put it back, replaced the other, didn't fix it. They read off of each other, so if one is out, it makes the other have a bad reading. It shuts down the engine to prevent damage as it's an interference engine.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
It doesn't have anything to do with being an interference engine. The engine is shut down because without a valid reading from the crank or cam sensor the ECU can't determine the position of the No1 piston in relationship to valve timing to know when to inject fuel or fire sparks. It uses this position as a reference point to calculate the timing for the other cylinders.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts