Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sportage & 2004 Kia Sedona
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this little cutey this past week ..

.. had a clean car check and came from Florida .. first time I ever bought a car long distance, but I have missed my '97 every since I git rid of her .. started right up and everything looked good when I got there .. a tad sun-faded and some body dings .. but smooth running engine .. only issue found so far is the dash/running lights (posted in another thread) .. I have plans fro making this one a fun little car to keep for a while ..

Farkles/Plans Include:
1. 3" Lift .. following the "Everet Plan" ..
2. Slightly larger tires than stock .. maybe some rims to go with them too ..
3. Roof Cargo Rack ..
4. LED Strobes (VFD) ..
5. Class II Receiver ..
6. Front Brush Guard ..
7. Electric Fan ..
8. Vinyl Camo Wrap (maybe) ..

.. not looking to do any very serious off-roading with her beyond wandering down forest service trails and logging roads .. with some (small) creek crossings and adventuring .. mostly 90% on-road and making her more snow-worthy .. my '97 had a habit of dragging the muffler in just 6-8" of snow and hanging on large/deeper ruts, at the expense of the exhaust system .. so a mild up-lift is in order ..

.. will also be using her to haul my KLR 650 around on a trailer for (also) wandering through the Great Smoky Mountains (and surrounding areas) .. I spend more time on a motorcycle than I do driving .. but it makes it FAR easier to drive somewhere and unload to go exploring on the bike ..

.. looking forward to the feedback and comments as I blunder my way through this .. lol .. well, maybe not so much blunder as "explore" .. should be fun though .. loving this sight and the folks for the amazing amount of information ..

.. a few more stock photos just for the record ..

.. I am already wondering how I am going to handle this mod when I do the lift .. I understand there's going to be a problem with extending the shifters to work with the console .. should be fun figuring it out though ..

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
650 Posts
If you do an UPYOURKIA lift kit, you don't need to adjust the shifters. Problems arise when you do a body lift.
Clean looking rig.
Looks like you got a real clean machine.
Everet

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
.. thanks Everet .. I was wondering about the lift .. I'll be ordering your kit next week along with a bunch of other suspension parts ..

.. while putting on a receiver hitch this morning I was able to spend a little time looking around and found some maintenance issues with the front suspension and I definitely need new shock/struts all the way around (though I could already feel and hear that anyway) ..

.. will need to address the exhaust pretty soon too .. fortunately from the Cat. on back from what I saw ..

.. virtually no rust at all .. that was a pleasant find ..

.. I did notice some leaky fluids .. so some seals and gaskets will be in order sometime soon as well too ..

·
Registered
2002 Kia Sporty 4x4
14 Posts
Congrats! As a recently new Sporty owner I know how you feel. But you know them already. You mentioned putting on a towing receiver, which would you recommend?

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I really like my CURT receiver. It bolted up perfectly and is 5k rated.
UPYOURKIA

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RE - Receiver ..

I got a class 2 from Drawtight .. you have to drill two holes in the rear "shackles" .. the two frame bolts line right up with existing holes ..

The one Everet (UpYourKia) has is much more "robust" and can handle some wenching .. I mean, winching .. heh heh ..

.. the Drawtight is strictly for pulling light loads (like my bike trailer) or for mounting a bicycle carrier .. I don't think it has enough toughness to handle any serious wenching duties ..

On another note .. Everet .. I may have another issue here .. on a stock Kia, are there supposed to be blocks in here??

This is the front right ..

This is the rear right ..

.. iirc .. aren't there supposed to be some rubber bushings in there??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Front end .. issues??

I mentioned I had the chance to look under the Kia this week .. I knew I needed shocks/struts already .. also found this ..

right front upper ..

left front upper ..

both lowers looks the same ..

.. and this bad boy is just a loose as can be and has about 1/2" of "play" in it ..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
.. gaaaahhhh ! ! ! ! ! ..

I piggy-backed my electrical woes off another thread thinking it might be the same issue (Dimmer Switch) or the Control Switch in the steering column .. the issue is no running lights nor dash lights ..

Fuses all (still) intact ..

Power to the fuses ..

No power at the dimmer switch ..

.. so I had already ordered a column switch and finally got some time to start opening everything up to check the issues .. found out that the column switch assembly, despite the seller best assurances, was not for a 2000 Sporty EX .. it's for a standard 2000 Kia Sporty .. so unable to swap out that switch .. and the rats nest of wiring is going to take forever to sort out/ring out with a tester .. though I am trying to dig thought the wiring schematic ..

.. pulled the 30A relays under the dash and moved them all one space over with no failures anywhere else, so I'm fairly confident it's not the 30A relay behind the dash (below the flasher unit) ..

.. all the signals, reverse, brakes, etc., are working without issue .. all the lamps are fresh and good ..

Back to the book and pulled the Flasher Unit also .. looking at the flasher unit the side of it does not have a schematic, but it does list a heckuva lot of lamps and information .. giving me the impression that the running lights and dash lights are run through the same relay as the turn signals?? .. if that correct?? .. and if so .. does that mean the flashers can still work but the running lights won't?? ..

.. I'm about a hair's breath away from slapping in a switched relay up under the hood and back-feeding the running light circuit to just have constant-on running lights ..

.. any input form the guru's?? .. it would be greatly appreciated ..

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Looks like the basis of a good "fun" machine. A car this old has to be expected to be a bit worn in places. How much did you pay for the Sporty? I see others on the forum have picked up the same model for sub-$1000 but have a fair amount of work to do. Your planned mods will soon make the puchase price insignificant. e.g. Wheels + tyres minimum $1200?

Have you looked at engine bits that might need attention? Valve cover gaskets? Is it a Timing Belt model?

Good luck. There's a certain satisfaction in driving around in a "cheapy". I used my son's old car for a year after he bought a new Cerato, and was determined not to spend a cent on it; it survived and was sold for scrap.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
You're missing the body mount rubber bushings in the pictures taken. Also, looks like you need new upper control arms, pitman and idler arms, lower balljoints at least or maybe even lower control arms (they come with ball joints) just to name a few things.

Check RockAuto Parts Catalog for all your suspension parts. You should be able to get the lower control arms for less than $50.00 each. I had to try about 5 times to get it to take the order. It is cheaper to get one at that price than buy the bushings and ball joint and have them replaced.

Keep us posted on your work.

UPYOURKIA

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys .. I'm having fun ..

.. yeah .. she's a decent project without a bunch of harm or damage .. the original owner took decent care of her, the second owner generally ignored her, but didn't seem to do a lot of damage ..

.. I found her for $2,300 .. would have been nice to score her for less, but she was from Florida and has virtually no rust at all .. and I mean really close to none at all .. that was worth a few more pennies for me (having re-built some other projects and dealt with rust before) ..

.. I figured on re-building the front end .. my '97 Sporty needed some bits also, but I didn't know about this site or I might not ever have gotten rid of that one either ..

.. thanks Everet for the heads up on Rock Auto .. I'm also rounding up the parts for the lift, so I'll be looking you up very soon for a kit as I collect all the goodies .. I figure I'll hit the front end at the same time and knock it all out at once .. if I'm gonna stick her up on stands for a week I'll burn a few days vacation and just have some fun getting it all done at one shot over a few days ..

.. still deciding if I am going to just separate out the running lights from the rest of the harness or keep screwing around with the stock (and seemingly insane) wiring system Kia came up with ..

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
It's definitely different strokes... I've never added accessories to any car I've owned. Well maybe a tacho in the Mini Cooper and a tape player in the Alfa, but that's it. Oh, and the Cerato has a dash-mat to cut reflections; Radical!

Keep us informed on your project.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thought I'd catch up ...

.. have not been doing much with the Sporty except changing the filters and fluids..

Playing out in the snow this past week and it looks like the front wheels are not locking in so I just pulled the trigger on some WARN manuals .. wanted to do that anyway, now I have an excuse ..

Also need to find out if Everett is making that lift kit still .. time to get that done and put some new sneakers on her for inspection time ..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts