Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

my wife called me today while she was out and about. She told me her car stalled and she couldn't get it going again. we have an 07 Kia Sportage v6 FWD 2.7L.

I was also out in my vehicle and met up with her. At first I was in a real panic since we JUST got a new timing belt/water pump kit installed last week and I though "oh crap the belt broke and blew the motor" however when i showed up, first thing I did was turn the key and thankfully it was turning over.

Now, my wife is not very attentative to detail, so I basically only got "it stalled and I can't start it" I asked her if it sputtered or just died like the key was switched to the OFF position and she couldn't tell.

back to the topic, the car won't start but will turn forever. I have read crank sensors as being the culprit but I am not a mechanic and not so good at this stuff.

Anybody else encounter this issue?

As of now, the car is at the garage (had to get it towed) and waiting to hear back, but I'd like to get some internet-knowledge to at least know what I can expect to hear from my mechanic because I don't feel like letting our car sit for a week without being "diagnosed".

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have had this happen to me in many years of driving and both times it was the fuel pump. How many miles on your Sportage? I have the exact Sportage. I'm close to 97K miles and was thinking maybe it's time for new plugs and wires. Let us know what you find out. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it has about 124,000 KM (I am in Canada) so about 77,050 Miles. I wish I had some sort of spray that I can spray into the air intake to see if it would start but I didn't at that time. The only thing it did was keep on turning until i let the key go. I tried pumping the gas pedal too, but nothing at all. I believe I heard the fuel pump pushing gas through, but again, I don't drive this car as much as my wife does and I am at a loss for knowledge.

Is there any chance the timing belt job I had done last week could be the cause of all this? Would the engine even turn if the belt was broken or loose?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

So I spoke to my mechanic this morning. He said he scanned my Kia and got an error code relating to the Crank Sensor. So far as I know, he's pulled the old one out and waiting for a new one to come in. Crossing my fingers!

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,847 Posts
Very often it's not a bad crank sensor, but the signal timing that is not correct, so I wouldn't rule out a timing belt issue instead a failed sensor.

Yes the engine can crank over even if there's a timing belt issue.

One of the most common causes of the sudden death is failed timing belt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm

Well, I don't know much about this stuff.

I got call near end of day and my mechanic said the new crank sensor didn't work. He is hoisting it back up.

He just put in a brand new timing belt, water pump, etc, etc, last week. If the new stuff he put in is already failing, what does that mean that my engine will be blown or is blown?

what's the wrose that can have happened here, and if there is substantial damage due to this job I had done last week, will I be responsible for the costs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OOPS - Mistake It's a CAM sensor not Crank

sorry he said it was a CAM sensor code on the diag tool. Does that make any difference??

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,847 Posts
sorry he said it was a CAM sensor code on the diag tool. Does that make any difference??
Not really - typically the fault code indicates a problem such as incorrect valve timing, broken timing belt etc., than a failed sensor, ......... and a good mechanic would know that, and know the diagnostic steps in response to such an error code.

I think an unqualified mechanic has screwed you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know how "unqualified" he is. I refused to bring this to the dealership all they do there is nail you with hidden charges and outrageous service. I brought my ford van to the ford dealership a few months ago and they royally screwed me out of a LOT of money and I caught their lie. anyway, the guy who is doing this for me has given me good reason to bring my car back there so I doubt he neglected anything. Anyway, time will tell and I'll post back when i hear more

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
End Result: The tensioner came loose or the bolt snapped I forgot what my mechanic told me. Either way, this caused timing to go haywire and bent some valves. New header job, etc, etc, etc... He took the rap and covered it which probably saved me a LOT of money.

·
Super Moderator
10,847 Posts
End Result: The tensioner came loose or the bolt snapped I forgot what my mechanic told me. Either way, this caused timing to go haywire and bent some valves. New header job, etc, etc, etc... He took the rap and covered it which probably saved me a LOT of money.
And so he should.
He could have saved the Camshaft Position Sensor if he had done the obvious thing, and that is confirm the timing when you get that sensor problem code.

Good to hear that you're making headway with this.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hate to hear when Kia Owners do not bring their cars to us but that is kind of the reason I am on here now. I help restore the faith of a dealership mechanic.

Anyway, if the tensioner is not set right and torqued then that will cause problems such as yours. It is a good thing that the mechanic was honest and upfront so hats off to them.

Make sure your valves did not stamp the pistons. If they did then you need new pistons as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts