Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 Optima. It has developed a musty vinagar smell comming from the heater vents. It is at it's worst when first started. Anyone run into this? Does anyone have a soulution? Thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
I would check to ensure that the aircond water drain is open, sounds like some stale condensate lying in the base of the collector under the evaporator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will give this a try and like the last post. how and where are the filters? Thanks for the response

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Originally posted by Classic boy@Sep 27 2005, 08:47 AM
I would check to ensure that the aircond water drain is open, sounds like some stale condensate lying in the base of the collector under the evaporator.
Thats what I would say it probably is. I know the Sorento has had a few issues of condensation not draining.
Your car must still be under warranty. I would take it in and tell them what we said here and have them check these things out. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah I notice mine after having it on recirc, say MAX-AC for a while, then rotate to floor/console vents with AC off, the smell comes out, and if I turn the fan to min, it reaks of the smell...

Curious but not havig had the chance to take it in is irritating.

Those are the conditions I notice the offending odor in mine...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It still is under warranty. I guess that I will have to go in and yell and scream at them to get them to do something. They are the kind of shop that gives all new car dealers a bad name.

Thanks again for all suggestions

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Hmm.. now I'm going through that.. I might have to take it in to the dealership as well.. let me know what happend when you took your's..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Sorento and the vents have a smell like mildew and vinegar, and it has had this smell all summer, its terrible. I have a baby that also sits in that car! I have had many problems with this car since day one. I am so disappointed that i have completely given up and cannot wait to get rid of this car. :(

·
Super Moderator
9,189 Posts
I have a 2018 Sorento and the vents have a smell like mildew and vinegar, and it has had this smell all summer, its terrible. I have a baby that also sits in that car! I have had many problems with this car since day one. I am so disappointed that i have completely given up and cannot wait to get rid of this car. :(
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your signature
With the recent forum platform change, the location and vehicle details in your profile no longer show in each post.

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

https://www.kia-forums.com/account/signature

https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/forum-rules.27240/

·
Registered
122 Posts
Once your sure the condensate is draining properly try this. Engine running, inside vents open, ac on full cold, fan at Max setting:. Spray Lysol spray into air intakes found at base of windshield (outside) by wiper system. Spray on and off for several minutes. Repeat for a day or two. This will kill off the odor and sanitize the ducts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
Lou O.
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing