Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
01 Sportage 2 dr 4x4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
After bleeding the brakes on my 2001 2 door 4x4, looks to be non ABS, the brakes are mushy as could be. Rear does not lock up ( even on wet grass, front will) when I do a panic stop and pedal almost to the floor.

Bled by starting furthest to shortest line, engine off 4 quick pumps per the held down.

After no success I replaced the master cylinder (bench bled) and rear wheel cylinders they were rusty in bore. Went thru same bleed process.

However when I do a quick 4 pump while doing a panic stop rear almost locks up, I bled a quart thru the system.

And it still does it and suggestions?

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
To check for abs look for a electrical connected to a sensor screw into the top of rear differential. After installing new wheel cylinder did you
check the brake shoes for smooth operation. If not remove shoes and lube the contact areas on the backing plate .
Sounds like you still have air in the system additional bleeding may be needed.
I will check an see if there is a proportion valve in the system.

·
Registered
01 Sportage 2 dr 4x4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Confirmed Non ABS on it via VIN with a dealer.

Rear shoes are adjusted so that parking brake travels less now to engage shoes.

It has a proportioning valve on it.

thanks,

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
The proportioning valve is testable but not serviceable. If test fail replacement is suggested.
How is the free play on the brake pedal. Check out kgis on internet explorer only,shows you how to check.

·
Registered
01 Sportage 2 dr 4x4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since you have a 5 speed bleed the clutch slave cylinder as well.
I did better than that, replaced the clutch slave cylinder.

drained all the fluid flushed it, new rear drums. same mushy pedal...

weird...

All started after bleeding prior to changing any above parts. Thanks to the internets for low prices for name brands....

·
Registered
01 Sportage 2 dr 4x4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The proportioning valve is testable but not serviceable. If test fail replacement is suggested.
How is the free play on the brake pedal. Check out kgis on internet explorer only,shows you how to check.
How do you test it?

pedal almost to the floor without pumping it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
It would probably be less expensive to replace it if everything checks ok then purchase the two gauges to test it.
Special gauges require 1500 ps1 as showed on kgis.
Is it possible you got the wrong m/c from parts supplier it seems there are at least three or four different ones. @ without abs with abs auto trans ect.
In the good old days you could remove and reinstall the center hex nut on the proportioning valve and it would reset itself itself . don't know about Kias.

·
Registered
01 Sportage 2 dr 4x4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$101 later from dealer, new P valve fixed it. Be nice if a O ring kit were avail at less $.

On to next problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts