Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently had some work done at the Kia dealership and would like to know some more information if possible.

Work
  • Damper Pulley
  • Washer
  • Bolt Set
  • Tension Belts x 3
  • Sprocket Assembly
  • Timing Belt

Of course, this work was expensive but required. But here is the background and question as I don't know much about car repair. Exactly 70KM of driving distance after the work was done, I got a CEL and experienced a shaky engine while in gear. I brought the SUV back in and it came back with numerous Cylinder Misfires (P0301, 0302, 0303, 0304, 0305). They told me that these misfires had nothing to do with the work mentioned above and I would require 3 parts to deal with misfires 301, 303 and 305 (approx. $325 each).

Does anyone happen to know if this is pure coincidence or is there something that I am missing here?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
08 2.5 CRDI Sorento Titan Auto
1,918 Posts
No timing belt tensioner on your list?
I would guess that misfires on all (well 5 of 6, why not the sixth??) cylinders points to timing belt slipped and/or damaged crank/cam position sensors. That is to say points directly to the work done after only 70km. (But, I'm just an amateur where the V6 is concerned).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vehicle has approx 80,000 KM on it. The CEL came on after 70KM of driving distance after the work was initially done.

The actual codes that were identified, now that I have a copy, are P0301, P0303 and P0305, all of which require a part replacement.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
So, do you believe that after 70 kilometers, since the work was done, all 3 [?what?] have simultaneously failed coincidentally??

(Have to make certain presumptions about which parts they are saying need replacing, based on quantity and quoted cost.)

I don't think so.

What?: Injectors, spark plugs, plug cables - these are items listed as possible defective parts for code.
I did initially think they were planning on replacing the ignition coils, but if responding directly to the diagnostics that would not make sense.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The parts that are to be replaced are 3 Ignition Coils (approx $350.00 each), in addition to a gasket.

I have seen additional information from various sources in regards to a weak timing belt tensioner. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
OK, thanks for clarifying. It is not credible that those 3 ignition coils would fail at the same time. This has to be a problem with the replacement timing belt and associated work done. I would always replace the belt tensioner. (They can be tricky to get right anyway.)

I think you need to escalate this with the shop that did the work (or Kia) and insist on a proper diagnostic, not their guesses as to what is wrong. Failed ignition coils would give a different set of DTC (diagnostic trouble codes).

Bear in mind the V6 uses 'wasted spark' ignition which fires spark on 2 cylinders together, one in compression one in exhaust. A failed coil would logically show up in both banks (cylinders 2/4/6 in this case) in this case.

Don't be conned. If necessary get a consumer advocate (better business/trading standards/citizens advice) - not sure what is available to you.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,509 Posts
Hi,

I recently had some work done at the Kia dealership and would like to know some more information if possible.

Work
  • Damper Pulley
  • Washer
  • Bolt Set
  • Tension Belts x 3
  • Sprocket Assembly
  • Timing Belt

Of course, this work was expensive but required. But here is the background and question as I don't know much about car repair. Exactly 70KM of driving distance after the work was done, I got a CEL and experienced a shaky engine while in gear. I brought the SUV back in and it came back with numerous Cylinder Misfires (P0301, 0302, 0303, 0304, 0305). They told me that these misfires had nothing to do with the work mentioned above and I would require 3 parts to deal with misfires 301, 303 and 305 (approx. $325 each).

Does anyone happen to know if this is pure coincidence or is there something that I am missing here?

Thanks in advance.
No where in the post is the year or the total mileage listed. I will hold off on my guess until I know those two items. If you decide to pursue the path of dealer repair, tell them you will do the repair if, they will guaranty in writing that the repair will fix the issues. If not, they are trying to learn auto repair with your money.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about that.. the vehicle is a 2006. I believe I mentioned the mileage above (approx 80,000 KM).

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,954 Posts
Timing Belts are rated 5yrs "or" 60k miles (100,000KM)...so at 80,000KM the belt was due..(over 5yrs).

The spark coils are $41~$107 each at RockAuto.com for the 3.5L 2006
Sorento... So 3 at $41 equal $123...a big difference.
and I'd bet that WON'T correct the problem.

Also What gasket do they "want" to replace and WHY?

I agree with gee6 on the tensioner needing to be replaced... they can get weak and can allow the timing belt to jump a tooth throwing off the timing...
Dave

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
There are many things that can cause 'Misfire' codes - the possibility that all (3) coil packs have failed / need replacement at once is statistically (zero).

Agree w/ excellent advice posted above: that TB replacement should have included the pulley set as well.

*Illegal air issues can also cause random misfire codes, would recommend checking the condition of the air intake system for any loose or missing hoses, and the condition of the vacuum lines attached to the Intake manifold -> to the various components..

I would be interested to learn (which) gasket they recommended replacing also.

--
If this is the same dealer that did the TB service 10,000km ago, they aren't doing you any favors or offering any discount with trying to sell you (3) coil packs at full dealer list of $325 each..

You may want to call around and see if there is another dealer that can help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GottaCruise: If this is the same dealer that did the TB service 10,000km ago, they aren't doing you any favors or offering any discount with trying to sell you (3) coil packs at full dealer list of $325 each..

Actually, this is the same dealer who did the TB service a mere 70 KM ago (1 day)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
If that is the case, I would get a full accounting of parts replaced via repair receipt, and would be as assertive as needed to inquire exactly -why- the recommendation to replace all (3) coil packs was warranted: were the coil packs even inspected or tested?

--
The TB service itself may have been done properly (would confirm those pulleys were replaced) - I would be asking the Service Mgr. and technician who did the repair to review -exactly- what was done on the vehicle,

and exactly what testing was done on the coil packs to determine they all need replacement, before agreeing to shell out the better part of $1000 for parts..

--
There is nothing wrong with being assertive in finding out what your $$$ are paying for, without being rude..

At the very least, the dealer should bring the vehicle back in and make sure the components / hoses / wiring removed for the service have been reinstalled correctly..

* Your vehicle may well have an issue, aside from the TB service, but 'throwing parts' at (generic) misfire DTC codes isn't real diagnostics, which is why we trust and bring our vehicles to the dealer in the first place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the information. It turns out that the issue had nothing to do with the coil packs; rather, the timing belt had jumped.

Today, after approx 120 km of additional driving, there is a loud clacking noise coming from the engine? Never stops...

·
Registered
05 Kia Sorento LX 4x4
280 Posts
Thanks for all the information. It turns out that the issue had nothing to do with the coil packs; rather, the timing belt had jumped.

Today, after approx 120 km of additional driving, there is a loud clacking noise coming from the engine? Never stops...
So less than 200KM from the time the belt was changed, and it's jumped time? Sounds like something wasn't put back together correctly.

With the loud clacking noise, I would pull over, and have it TOWED back to that dealer and have them re-do the work, and have them test/replace any damaged valves/lifters/etc that may have been damaged with the faulty install of the new timing belt, on THEIR DIME!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts