Kia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Picanto
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had my car just over 2 weeks, done about 350 miles

i understand that the MPG will improve over time as mine is a brand new car, but so far im only getting 28 mpg, this seems wildly adrift of the 50 or so mpg stated in the brochure.

any ideas how to improve this or is this a sign of a problem

·
Registered
55 Picanto
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'll see if things improve over the next few weeks. its going into winter and i know the mpg will be less this time of year so if it gets up to 40mpg its going well i think

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hiya

Seems to be a problem that improves with time and milage, why? i think only Kia can answer this one.

Personally my 54 reg 1.1 SE has done 7250miles and i am getting around 270miles per tank full and that equates to between 43 and 47 mpg. It seems the moral of the story is that it comes to he who waits.

Good luck in the increasing MPG and happy motoring meanwhile.......!

tmag

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

I'm obviously slightly lighter on the pedals than tmag2828, i also have a 54 plate SE which has done 8000 miles and i always get over 50MPG now. I too was getting around 30 MPG when the car was new. Like a fine wine it improves with age. Look at it this way, if petrol keeps going up your fuel costs wont as the consumption will probably decrease quicker than the fuel increase! That's how i like to think of it anyway. He He.

:)

·
Registered
2004 Kia Picanto
49 Posts
Hi,

I definitely agree - fuel consumption gets lower with the mileage, just like wine gets better with its age :)

I'm sorry but cannot convert MPG to km/litres. The EU figures say 20.4 km/litres. In average I'm running 22 km/litres. I know that when winter comes the longer idling periods combined with winter fuel will give worse performance. However, I'm expecting a winter with an average near the EU figures.

My driving pattern is 50% rural road (max speeds 90 km/h, average speed 60 km/h), 50% high way either with no queue (max speed 125 km/h, average speed 110 km/h) or with queue (max speed 80 km/h). Total 60 km driving a day, 5 days a week.

Does anybody have experience with using Teflon lubricants in the engine? Ads claim that friction gets lower, meaning more power and lower fuel consumption...?

I read about a guy who changed the oil in the transmission (manual) to some super high grade oil. Friction got remarkably lower all right but the gear box was damaged.... (operation completed, patient diseased) :haha: Thus, I'm careful with experimenting with alternative lubricants especially when the car still is under warranty.

Cheers,
Kneeler

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my Picanto new a week ago. I've now used two tankfuls of petrol. After the first my mpg was 48.1, after the second, 49.8. I subscribe to the school of thought that modern engines need to be thrashed when new to seal the bores - so I haven't been hanging around! Curious that some people get as low as 28mpg.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts