Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sedona 2.9 auto on an 02 plate 28,700 0n the clock

Hello,

I thought I would add my 10 cents to the MPG discussion which in my case has been bloody atrocious or has it?

Putting fuel into my Kia is a whole new experience for me as my last vehicle a Renault Scenic ran on air.

After brimming the tank three times, topping up after 100 miles each time,
( thanks Murphwiz ), and taking into account my fuel gauge doesn't move until after the first 40 miles I am getting 24.4 mpg on each each fill up.

On all three occasions it has been stop,start driving around central London,
( not Taxi work ) and no long runs.
Seacam

·
Registered
2001 Kia Sedona 2.9 CRDi SE & 2004 Accord 2.2I-CDTI Exec
278 Posts
Seacam,
If you wanted an economical 7 seater MPV then a 2.2 ton 2.9ltr Sedona was never going to stand out as the pick of the pack.

The previous model Renualt Espace would be good with a DCI engine, because the car is lightweight with plastic panels. Most other direct injection MPV models with 1.9/2.0 engines have a combined mpg figure in the late 30's.

The single biggest factor in my choice of this car is its towing characteristics. Its mass is plenty enough to not be bullied by a twin axle caravan and its engine class is more commonly found in 4x4 vehicles.
A 4x4 would only get about 27mpg combined. I'm expecting to at least get 30+ out of mine but I haven't been out in it much.

I have another car anyway ( Renault Laguna 1.9dTI ). This does all the work commuting and general donkeywork. The Sedona is used when we've got to go out with our three kids, and holidays etc.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello ebod,

Sure I agree, I wasn't so much complaining as posting my findings and wincing at the pain being caused to the wallet.

I wouldn't swap my Sedona I love the room, ride and it's excellent for the work I do.
Seacam

·
Registered
KIA's 2000 Carnival, 2008 Magentis, 2005 Optima
561 Posts
HI
I have a 2.6L V6 petrol Classic, 5 speed manual, it gets 29-31 mpg consistently but I mostly drive on the highway but we use the aircond a lot. It has about 103,000kms.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Eco,

Stop/start runs in London that's what's crucifying the wallet.

Did you bring back any goodies?
Seacam

·
Registered
66 Posts
It wasn't all autoroute, there was a bit of demolition derby down the champ-de-ellyses and the arc d'triumph (somthang like that......) too !
Just some bottled water for the kids and some pims - still got plenty of rose' left :grin:

·
Registered
391 Posts
yes I think it is well known that the worst possible mileage quoted by kia is the most common. since having the tuning box fitted my short stop start journeys hav improved to about 26.8 mpg and the long journeys to 32.5. I still do not have a clue where they6 got their 41 mpg (government approved) figure from.

I want to try and reach 30 mpg on short journeys although I do not think that is close to possible. I am off to newcastle next weekend and will do a similar "fill up as soon as I arrive" mpg test. as the next day if I go to the local shop it will cost me a £5 in fuel. just need brakes and 30,000 mile service to get past next week.

·
Registered
278 Posts
clartsonly,

After about 5 years on diesel car ownership, I made a recent discovery. My donkeywork car ( laguna dTI ) used to be relatively flat and unresponsive, and only got 46mpg. I always used supermarket diesel like from Morrisons etc.

I started using Shell Diesel extra and although its a few pence more per litre, I genuinely can tell a difference, it feels a lot more perky and instead of 580miles to a tank, I recently got to 670miles.

Maybe..just maybe the KIA 2902 CRDi engine is a bit sensitive to what it sups.

I'll be doing my own survey in due course

·
Registered
391 Posts
okay 99.9p per litre bp ultimate unleaded, injector clear and a profitune box MPG testing as follows:-

straight away I was thwated by traffic jams spoiling my tests I drove 240 miles but got stuck in a traffic jam for 30 minutes then further up the A1 for an hour. I did not accelerate hard one and did not go over 75... a crappy 32.7 MPG that was even filling the tank up as soon as I arrived.

driving home like a lunatic managing 280 miles in 3 and a half hours I manage 27.2 mpg.

conclusion 1: the extra £4 per tank is not worth it, and even as the guy in the BP garage reckoned he got an extra 30 miles per tank it is about the same as the extra cost.

conclusion 2: where does the 41mpg come from on the kia website

conclusion 3: ride a bike to the train station, even they are more reliable than sedonas :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi All, first thing is that I agree the Sedona is a thirsty beast, I have a 2.9 auto, however the room, the practicality and the price just makes it a good allrounder. Also, as mentioned it's a good tow car. I pulled a Lunar Lexon caravan fully loaded, 4 bikes, the wife and two big lads to France earlier this year and got 19.1 MPG. I fitted a tuning box for a second trip and got 23.2, I am fairly pleased. The tuning box allowed me to get into top quicker and stay there for longer as long aqs the revs were 2000+. That meant pulling at 62-65mph, it certainly ate up the miles. Only thing I really dislike is the radio - it can never hold a station and I am going to treat myself to something better.

Next I am going to fit an 'ecoflow' and perhaps a 'cyclonefuelsaver'. See other topic that I shall post for that discussion.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello Sobsong,

I can't wait for the new topic.

This Cyclonefuelsaver, it's not the same as the Turbonator as advertised on this site?

And the Ecoflow, is that a bit of electronics?
Seacam

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
I've just traded in my 200,000 mile Renault Espace for a 2.9CRDI manual Sedona from what you guys are saying I didn't get that much better economy in the Espace than you get from the Sedona and the Espace is 700kg lighter and only 90BHP.
If I get 33-36 to the gallon from such a big vehicle then I'll be pleased, it'll mean that the 75 litre tank will get me about 550 to the tank then it'll be about the same as the Espace which did about 500 to the tank around town and 640 ish on a run down to my house in France 80lt tank.
If I'm pulling my trailer (which is as big as a caravan and weighs 1500kg fully laden) then I expect It'll drop down to about 19-22 which is about what I get out of my Ford Transit day in and day out, 135BHP 3500KG full laden and air con on permanently.

These cars are Damm heavy, the weight isn't far off the weight of most large 4X4 and the diesel versions of those only manage about 30-33 to the gallon.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Originally posted by sobsong@Aug 23 2005, 06:15 PM
Hi All, first thing is that I agree the Sedona is a thirsty beast, I have a 2.9 auto, however the room, the practicality and the price just makes it a good allrounder. Also, as mentioned it's a good tow car. I pulled a Lunar Lexon caravan fully loaded, 4 bikes, the wife and two big lads to France earlier this year and got 19.1 MPG. I fitted a tuning box for a second trip and got 23.2, I am fairly pleased. The tuning box allowed me to get into top quicker and stay there for longer as long aqs the revs were 2000+. That meant pulling at 62-65mph, it certainly ate up the miles. Only thing I really dislike is the radio - it can never hold a station and I am going to treat myself to something better.

Next I am going to fit an 'ecoflow' and perhaps a 'cyclonefuelsaver'. See other topic that I shall post for that discussion.
Re Sobsongs quote above, I'm still establishing what MPG I get in my CRDi-SE (manual). It just towed a 450/4 caravan to Wales and back. The tank Of fuel I measured included the return tow run and that equated to 26.2 MPG. I concur with Sobsongs comments about towing at 2000+ rpm. It was my fisrt ever attempt at towing a caravan and my dad said keep to 55MPH max. But I couldn't get the car to settle in 5th at 55, it preferred 60-62mph. Can someone give me more details about this tuning box as I might be a potential punter.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Clartsonly you drive very short distances by the sounds of it, I live in the middle of Warwickshire and my nearest town is 7 miles away so we put huge mileages up on cars by just popping into town occasionally, I've filled the car up tonight and shall report back (letting the wife drive mainly cos she has a much lighter right foot) :p

·
Registered
34 Posts
Guys, just done a similar France run in my '99 TDi exec auto, 5 up with roof box, 80 - 90MPH sur l'autoroutes and got 33MPG. My Daewoo Tacuma 2.0 petrol only gave low 20's (but that was with the wife driving at 120!!!)
Well chuffed

1 - 20 of 68 Posts