Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced MPG problems with your Sportage? If so please let me know what you have tried and if it worked,

I purchased a 2012 Sportage in November, 2011 and from the start the MPG was not up to expectations. *It is an AWD model and the sticker expectations were 21-29MPG. *I have yet to see any MPG above 19 and have tried everything including driving under 55 MPH for an entire tank full, and even putting it in neutral and rolling downhill and while stopped. *

At about 3,000 miles I contacted Kia corporate customer service and got a case number entitling me to a free fuel consumption test. *This was performed and said the car was functioning properly. *The service advisor then told me that I should wait until I have at lease 5,000 miles on the car and the MPG should improve. *

I now have 5,400 miles on the car and the MPG has gotten even worse. *It is now less than 19MPG. *I will go in for my first oil change and maintenance to see if there will be any improvements. *I doubt that this will change anything.

I am completely frustrated! *I traded in an older, larger SUV that I loved, but was getting very poor milage (11MPG) for this smaller SUV in hopes of sacrificing size and comfort for at least double the MPG I was getting.

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
I find there are a lot of variables regarding MPG.

First off, are you getting 19MPG exclusively highway, or in the city, or mixed?
Are you calculating the MPG yourself, or using the onboard average MPG? The onboard system is not accurate, I have heard others claim it says worse than they were getting, mine is overly optimistic. Kia might have changed the algorithm between the 2011 and 2012 models? I noticed you only have 5400 miles on your car, and you bought just after I have, thus I suspect you do a lot of short drives?

My SX AWD usually gets 12-14L/100km (17-19 US MPG) in the city, but most of my drives are hardly long enough to warm the engine up, thus it is not running optimally. On a 95% highway drive doing 115-120km/h, I have gotten from 8.5L to 9.5L/100km (25-28 US MPG), depending on terrain and weather.

I currently have just under 12,000KM on the odometer.

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
Don't know what transmission you have and not sure it also applies to AT,but if you shift into neutral while going downhill you are sucking gas just as you would when idling the engine. Thus decreasing your MPGs considerably.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your responses. To answer some of your questions, I am getting under 19mpg overall, including both highway and around town. I am doing the math myself (miles/gallons) and not depending on the onboard system. I have the Sportage EX AWD 2.4 4 cylinders with a 6-speed automatic transmission.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Sportage LX AWD
35 Posts
I initially had trouble with the MPG in my 2012 sportage. I was only getting about 18-19.5 MPG per tank with a mix of highway/city driving. Mine is also an AWD AT sportage. I found that driving with the eco light on as much as possible has helped me get up to 21-22 MPG per tank now.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage EX
16 Posts
I also have a 2011 AWD EX, at 1st I was getting about 26 to 28 mpg
( I dive mostly highway ) I have added a K&N air filter and now I get about 28 to 30 mpg.:D

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sportage EX AWD
24 Posts
My 2011 EX AWD has 14000kms. in the first 5000kms I'm getting 22.5 - 23.7 mpg. After that I'm getting 24.4 - 26 mpg. the mpg improves after all but i was expecting to get higher mpg because I'm driving 90% highway.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage
14 Posts
i'm still working on my first tank of gas (FWD AT, exclusively in town). At the half way mark now and the mpg reading is 23.7mpg, but I've been employing hypermiling techniques just to see what kind of mileage I might see. Some pointers for you:

-keep the trip computer on the instant mpg reading so you can see when you're using alot of gas. I try to keep it as red as possible.
-use cruise control even on the local roads and turn off to coast instead of hitting the brake
-coast whenever you can.. never go to neutral because it uses more gas than if you take your foot off the gas and coast. fuel injection programming shuts off fuel when you coast
-keep your windows closed
-keep your car clean
-accelerate gently away from stops (actually, you should time your coasting to try not to stop at all but this is too extreme for most driving conditions)
-don't maintain constant speed up a hill, but don't get rammed from behind attempting this either.

For me it's just fun to try some of the techniques. I used to drive a turbocharged Audi getting only 14mpg because I was on the boost most of the time.

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
I'd stay away from cruise control if possible. Especially in town. Cos when you slow down,it wants to catch up to set speed rather too fast. IMO

·
Registered
Cerato
691 Posts
I'd stay away from cruise control if possible. Especially in town. Cos when you slow down, it wants to catch up to set speed rather too fast. IMO
I'd only use cruise control on the highway. Even then, some cruise controls don't handle undulating country very well.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sportage LX
16 Posts
I'm getting around the same MPG as the OP, have a 2012 FWD Auto at 9000km, I do about 75% city so those numbers are to be expected, still hoping it will improve with time but for now i'm trying to drive like I have no brakes :D, will see if that helps.

·
Registered
08 MX-5 PRHT and where is my Sportage SX AWD?
65 Posts
Don't know what transmission you have and not sure it also applies to AT,but if you shift into neutral while going downhill you are sucking gas just as you would when idling the engine. Thus decreasing your MPGs considerably.
How would this decrease MPG?
The only time you can use less gas than idling is to turn off the engine, I guess no one would try to turn off the engine while going downhill.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
481 Posts
How would this decrease MPG?
The only time you can use less gas than idling is to turn off the engine, I guess no one would try to turn off the engine while going downhill.
When you let off gas and have 0% throttle the fuel injectors go to 0% duty cycle, supplying 0 fuel. This is the case until RPM's drop to a certain number, which is just a couple hundred above idle.

Basically it requires fuel to idle an engine, but not to coast down a hill or decelerate at 0% throttle.

·
Registered
Cerato
691 Posts
When you let off gas and have 0% throttle the fuel injectors go to 0% duty cycle, supplying 0 fuel. This is the case until RPMs drop to a certain number, which is just a couple hundred above idle.

Basically it requires fuel to idle an engine, but not to coast down a hill or decelerate at 0% throttle.
A good explanation and most probably correct. Note that it doesn't apply to carburettor engines, so some older opinions might be off-target for this reason.

I've always thought that it was pointless worrying about fuel use while idling, but the experts have obviously done their sums and have developed the ISG (Idle Stop and Go) system. It's not relevant to my style of driving, but the extra complication is obviously worth it for some. This sort of reasoning inevitably brings hybrid technology into consideration; if the engine is idling, at least it's charging the battery.

·
Registered
1.7 CRDI sand track
540 Posts
@ OP, change your driving habits little,don't shift to neutral so much,keep the rpms rather higher then lower and maybe you'll see an improvement over few months. Increasing fuel consumption = decreasing MPGs. So when you switch your on board computer to immediate fuel consumption,you can see its at its highest when in neutral. See,two things are turning the engine. Fuel,or (now i may use a wrong term) velocity of the wheels. And this only happens when a appropriate gear is selected.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage EX, 2000 Jeep WJ
159 Posts
Turned off the ECO on my '12 EX this weekend when I was driving all over the state and I was getting > 28mpg for the first time since we purchased ~6k miles ago

·
Registered
2015 Ford Mustang GT
209 Posts
I think I'm going to order a K&N filter and see if it does improve MPG at all...I honestly don't think it will, but for what it's worth, it's cheaper than replacing the filter as many times as I will over the vehicles' life.

To counter those who will argue how much the K&N filters, I have done extensive research and have concluded although it does let in more dirt/debris, it is not so much that it will harm the engine. It's not like it is letting in sand that will scratch the cylinder walls.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD
840 Posts
Look into an AEM (or other brand) that doesn't use oil. Not sure how much of an issue it is on Kias, but sometimes the oil can mess up the MAF sensor. Prices are the same too, so why take a chance. Plus I hate cleaning and re-oiling them.

I might grab a reusable filter myself since nobody seems to want to make a quality CAI (or did the Kia one come out yet).

1 - 20 of 125 Posts