Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento LX V6 AWD
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Anyone here install one of these in a current generation Sorento... especially the key to start version? $189 via Amazon sounds much better than $600+ for an OEM dealer install. MPC doesn’t offer the detailed instructions until you actually buy the kit... so have no idea how involved this would be. They do include a prefab wiring harness for the Sorento which supposedly simplifies installation.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Sorento SX
2 Posts
I'm in the process of installing my kit. It's been more than a month now and I'm still troubleshooting with tech support. I've installed various branded kits for my Optima and Civic but this has been the most challenging. In my personal experience, I should have gotten the plug and play oem kit. Hopefully you have a better experience.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the process of installing my kit. It's been more than a month now and I'm still troubleshooting with tech support. I've installed various branded kits for my Optima and Civic but this has been the most challenging. In my personal experience, I should have gotten the plug and play oem kit. Hopefully you have a better experience.
OK. Thanks much. I can get the Kia OEM kit for about $320 on eBay and have heard it installs easily in less than an hour. Might save up a bit more and just go that route.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update. Found a new Kia OEM remote start kit for my key start ‘17 Sorento on eBay for $269 earlier today and jumped on it. About $70 cheaper than most on eBay. Should be here by the weekend.

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
289 Posts
Do these things require hiding a factory fob in the car ?
As you may guess, it has been a long time since I installed one.

·
Registered
2018 Sorento SX
2 Posts
Update. Found a new Kia OEM remote start kit for my key start ‘17 Sorento on eBay for $269 earlier today and jumped on it. About $70 cheaper than most on eBay. Should be here by the weekend.
Good deal! The Canadian versions are just too much for me. :(

As for hiding the factory fob, I know the MPC uses the factory fob. And I believe the OEM also does the same but the starter fob will give you more range.

·
Registered
2016 sorento
1 Posts
Hi all,

Anyone here install one of these in a current generation Sorento... especially the key to start version? $189 via Amazon sounds much better than $600+ for an OEM dealer install. MPC doesn’t offer the detailed instructions until you actually buy the kit... so have no idea how involved this would be. They do include a prefab wiring harness for the Sorento which supposedly simplifies installation.

Thanks!
I installed an MPC on my wife's 2016 Accord. I opted to not order one for my Sorento. Glad I didn't. Hers has worked for almost 2 years but now only works about 10% of the time. I'd opt for a more expensive and hopefully more dependable brand. The MPC isn't very user friendly. And I am very knowledgable with vehicle wiring. I install ignition interlock devices at work.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed an MPC on my wife's 2016 Accord. I opted to not order one for my Sorento. Glad I didn't. Hers has worked for almost 2 years but now only works about 10% of the time. I'd opt for a more expensive and hopefully more dependable brand. The MPC isn't very user friendly. And I am very knowledgable with vehicle wiring. I install ignition interlock devices at work.
Appreciate the reply. I went with the OEM kit for my ‘17 Sorento and finally got around to installing it last week. Followed a Youtube video showing the exact same install and went absolutely perfect. I hate removing interior trim... but really surprised how easy it was to remove and reinstall. Connections are all plug and play except for one quick splice connector to the horn wire which was no problem. Fired right up on first try... so I’m happy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts