Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a new Jeep Grand Cherokee to replace my Sorento. The Sorento was a decent people hauler which got better than expected mileage and cost less than most comparably equipped similar vehicles. However, I found as time went on that the pricing indicated that the materials were maybe not up to the standards of other makes. Our two local dealers are complete morons so the benefit of a long warranty was compromised by the only places to get service. And the electronics capabilities are quite behind the market. For example, why can't it set the seat and mirror positions based on the key fob that unlocks the door? The Kia salesman had never heard of such a feature even though I had it in a Ford product five years before I bought the Sorento. And why can't the power mirrors fold out automatically when you put the car in gear? Or why can't I fold the second row seats from the cargo area (2-row EX)? There are plenty of similar questions which don't really need to be asked here.

I am already enjoying the solid truck feel and rear wheel drive of the Jeep as opposed to the more car-like feel of the Kia. That's just me - I prefer a real SUV over a CUV. I may miss the one or two miles per gallon I'm giving up but overall this was a better choice for me.

Anyway, thanks to all on here who have helped and who have put up with me over the past few years. I wish you all well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sorry to see you go. But time moves on, I have only been over here on the Sorento side for a bout a year and have also moved between forums after changing vehicles quite a few times. Tell us something about your GC, what model and features did you get, the V6 3.6. (port injected) , 2X4 or 4X4 . How about Navigation, also how is their electric steering compared to our Sorentos?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Good that you went for the GRAND and not the lower end Cherokee. I looked at them and one person that had one dumped it within a year. The Grand has to be a lot better.

As for the memory feature. Yeah its been around for a lot longer than that. My son's 2009 Explorer has it and more. Other had it even earlier than that.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Farewell Wizard. I too am sorry to see you go as we will all greatly miss your wisdom. Best of luck with your new toy.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited RWD with the Luxury II package and the towing package. That includes leather seating, heated and ventilated seats, navigation, panoramic roof, automatic wipers, HID headlights, LED fog lights, and an Alpine sound system. The 3.6L V6 is plenty peppy - surprisingly so... it startled me the first few times I drove it.

The navigation system is by Garmin so it is very good. Still, it talks a lot and doesn't seem to have a setting to reduce the number of times it talks. I would prefer having it announce upcoming turns but then just chime at the intersection. But it's so much faster recalculating that you don't even notice it doing so. And no big black box covering up the map while it's thinking.

The steering feel is similar to the Sorento and has the same three settings but it doesn't seem to wander as much. I had the alignment done several times on the Sorento but it still seemed to need constant small movements of the wheel to keep it in the center of the lane. The Jeep just goes where I point it without any fuss. Neither one has any significant road feel through the wheel but they're not sports cars so that's not an issue. I will miss the under-floor storage space in the Kia - the Jeep has a full size spare in that area.

I have seen the reliability rankings but I don't put much stock in them. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw whether you get a gem or a lemon. I have an eight-year-old Mustang which also had terrible reliability ratings yet, other than maintenance, it hasn't cost me more than a couple hundred bucks in repairs (needed one of the automatic climate door motors replaced for $150). The available air suspension on the Jeep is reportedly a big source of problems but I didn't get that. Still, I was able to get an 8-year, 100,000 mile Mopar bumper-to-bumper extended warranty for a reasonable price so I hope that will take care of any expensive issues. The jury is still out on dealer service but I have several to choose from locally.

Jeep owners tend to be very loyal - some are fanatics - so I think that says something about the product. There's also a large enthusiast community and lots of aftermarket parts and accessories available. I've already installed side steps/running boards because the floor height seems more of a stretch than it was in the Sorento.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I had a 2002 GC and it served me well. One of the better generations. You say RWD but is there a AWD or 4WD mode selectable? Can't be trail rated with it. EH!! LOL

Hard for a Jeep to be a Jeep without 4 wheels doing there work. Maybe you don't leave florida and deal with snow etc.

The V6 Pentastar engine is unique and very peppy. I drove one in a Pickup and it rips allow, no slouch at all. Wise move on the warranty extension

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 4WD system is an option (actually considered by Jeep as a separate model... there's a GC Limited 2WD and a GC Limited 4WD). We bought the 2WD because we don't have any need for 4WD. The most off-roading we do is if a place has a grass parking lot. Even when we travel, it's only within a few hundred miles - otherwise we fly and rent at the destination. The last couple of times we were in Toronto in the winter we had AWD rentals (an Edge and a Caddy XT5) but hardly needed the capability. Toronto doesn't get as much snow as I remember growing up and they do a really good job of clearing the streets promptly when they do get any significant snow. We had a little under an inch of snow here in '89 and the whole town closed for about four days. Canadians would hardly even bother plowing that little bit of snow. :D

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think they don't start plowing unless 5cm now. Side streets and highway off ramp or on can be a big challenge with the plows windrow they heavy going by them. A lot of people in trouble this year as the snow was a lot more than I can remember as well as ice and ice pelets with the severe temp fluctuations we had even out my way. The drive and lane turned into a river of ice. 1" thick before it started thawing a few weeks back.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Peace! & Good Luck "The Wizard!"
Sorry to see you moving on, because I always appreciated your Knowledge, and Advice! Not that we always saw eye, to eye, from one old coot, to another ;) I used to look forward to your Slant on things! (y) I can't think of any reason to get rid of my 15' EX AWD (I never had an alignment issue, either?) Especially with the weather, hills, curves, and long stretches of roads up here! I Love my Sori since I had to replace the faulty orig. muffler, yrs ago with a low restriction mellow Delta 50 Flowmaster It's a rocket now, with decent gas mileage to boot! 55k miles. I Admire your choice, and just thought maybe the J.G.C. would be the better vehicle all around, but figured the gas mileage, stiffer ride, & Price, would not be as good? They certainly are Sharp though!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you. I have always felt that respectful disagreement is an integral part of online forums. A lively debate makes things so much more interesting.

The jury is still out on gas mileage but it's getting better as it breaks in... got just under 25 mpg on the last tank of mostly highway with some city mixed in. I doubt we'll reach the near 30 mpg we could get sometimes in the Kia but at least it won't be a gas pig and with the 24 gallon tank it can go a long way between fill-ups. The ride is not as stiff and truck-like as I had anticipated - more like the firm ride of a sporty sedan and not uncomfortable.

All the best to you.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I ordered a EX V6 without the 3rd row seats so in that respect have a lot of rear storage area. I am liking the new Jeep Truck but I know it is going to be a bit much$$. My 2007 GMC Sierra has several "features" that I miss on my 2013 Kia, unknown what the options are now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have recently purchased a new Jeep Grand Cherokee to replace my Sorento. The Sorento was a decent people hauler which got better than expected mileage and cost less than most comparably equipped similar vehicles. However, I found as time went on that the pricing indicated that the materials were maybe not up to the standards of other makes. Our two local dealers are complete morons so the benefit of a long warranty was compromised by the only places to get service. And the electronics capabilities are quite behind the market. For example, why can't it set the seat and mirror positions based on the key fob that unlocks the door? The Kia salesman had never heard of such a feature even though I had it in a Ford product five years before I bought the Sorento. And why can't the power mirrors fold out automatically when you put the car in gear? Or why can't I fold the second row seats from the cargo area (2-row EX)? There are plenty of similar questions which don't really need to be asked here.

I am already enjoying the solid truck feel and rear wheel drive of the Jeep as opposed to the more car-like feel of the Kia. That's just me - I prefer a real SUV over a CUV. I may miss the one or two miles per gallon I'm giving up but overall this was a better choice for me.

Anyway, thanks to all on here who have helped and who have put up with me over the past few years. I wish you all well.
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/392/026/21b.jpg

·
Registered
129 Posts
I too would like to thank all the members of this forum who has helped with tips over the last few years. But I'm also moving on from my Sorento which I absolutely loved, only had 91K and was still in perfect condition but I wanted an upgrade and decided to go with an 2019 Audi Q5.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
rickster992
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing