Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

Looking for some input and feedback . . . I've been looking at the top of the line Sorento for a few weeks -- turbo 4cyl, tech package, etc. MY wife has driven a ! Soul for a year or so and we love the car.

BUT . . . here is the big BUT . . . I am currently in a '14 Tundra Platinum. It would be a big move from a HUGE pickup that is loaded to a mid-size SUV. That said, something as big as the Tundra is not something that I want to continue with . . .amazing truck, but bad on gas and just big to get around in. Yes, it's awesome for when I need to move something and even on long trips . . .

I am curious how people have found the '16 Sorento for drivability around a city environment, for long road trips, for gas mileage, for comfort (I'm tall) . . . and general durability.

Part of my thinks that I may look back and say -- how did I drive a truck around every day? But part of me also thinks that I will miss the big cabin space and the power of a big v8.

I like all the little details -- technology, leather, luxury stuff . . . but I also like to save $$$$.

Anyway, just interested in people's thoughts moving from a completely different type of vehicle. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,501 Posts
how tall is tall? Have you sat in the new Sorento - if not then that should answer your question with regards cabin space.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don't think you will miss the v8 that much. Test drive the V6 and the Turbo. You may prefer one to the other. I came from a smaller SUV, a Mazda CX5 which was very direct handling and is more or less the sports car of it's class. When I first got the Sorento the handling seemed a lot slower but within a few weeks I got used to it and find that it is a very good handling vehicle for it's size. In the city it is great to drive and parking is not a problem with the camera and parking sensors in an SX. It's certainly going to be a lot easier to handle in close quarters than a Tundra.
Long trips and highway comfort are first rate IME. The seats in an SX or above have many adjustments and I can drive for hours and not feel sore when getting out of the car.
If you are thinking of going to a vehicle in this class you should try out as many of the available options as possible. Drive them all and let your driving impressions guide you, along with the objective info. The result for me was that the Sorento just felt like a more solid, higher quality ride than most of the competition.

·
Registered
404 Posts
it depends what you like more: the abilities of a truck - or the ability to save money. make a chart, sit down, and be 100% honest with yourself. i personally think you already made your decision, you just need a little encouragement.

i love the tundra. i would give up my first born child for a heavily (done professionally, and correctly) lifted tundra. with a sick front bumper, with some Rigid industry lights mounted, etc. you get the idea. BUT like every truck owner, i dont want to reach a point were the truck is costing more to feed, than myself. i am pretty satisfied with the sorento and the 2013 santa fe vehicles we have. we pack it up and head to the range, with all our gear, and we still have plenty room. we back it up for long distance trip (14+ hours) and it has been a total pleasure to drive all those hours. my trunk in the sorento keeps all my gear handy in the trunk organizer, thats under the trunk. impact tools, sockets, safety gear, jacket, snack/water, emergency preps, compressor, etc.

i think you will find this car has MORE usable interior space than your tundra because the bed in the tundra allows for things to slide around, and to be exposed to the weather; versus the trunk in the sorento that keeps things safe & dry.

ps: LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
I drive a Chevy Express 1500 for my side work and had a '11 Buick LaX as a daily driver. As far as sight lines and how the vehicle sits in traffic, riding in the Sorento is comparable to riding in my van (or your truck). You don't sit quite as high, but you can still see over cars so you have that advantage in visibility. I'm 6' tall, and the only issue I have with the Sorento is the driver's door armrest. If you position your seat back away from the dash, your elbow will be BEHIND the door armrest. I'm guessing they moved the B pillar of the vehicle forward to make the rear door opening wide but this cuts the driver's door support short. Definitely try this out before you buy. I now ride closer to the dash so I can brace my arm properly. Also, if you get the turbo, you get nice under floor storage. I have all my car products stashed away there without taking up any cargo space.

As far as power, I didn't need a 3rd row (we only have one kid and aren't having anymore) so we got the turbo. 75% of my driving is in terrible stop and go city traffic. The turbo I find is best in this environment due to the low end kick. It gasps for air if you rev it out, but you never need to. In fact, I rarely ever need more than 3500-4000rpm in day to day driving- it's like a diesel. It just pulls away with little effort. The V6 is probably better if you do more suburban or highway driving. Gas mileage is better than my Buick- that car weighed 4140lbs (about the same as my Sorento AWD) with a 3.6L V6 (280hp/259lbs-ft) rated at 17/27. The Kia, rated at 19/25 is giving my 2-3 more MPGs on the same routes (about 17-18 mpg vs 14-16 mpg).

Hope this helps. We really like ours so far. I do miss a few features from my old car, but the utility aspect of this car is much better.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Pondering

Hi everyone.

Looking for some input and feedback . . . I've been looking at the top of the line Sorento for a few weeks -- turbo 4cyl, tech package, etc. MY wife has driven a ! Soul for a year or so and we love the car.

BUT . . . here is the big BUT . . . I am currently in a '14 Tundra Platinum. It would be a big move from a HUGE pickup that is loaded to a mid-size SUV. That said, something as big as the Tundra is not something that I want to continue with . . .amazing truck, but bad on gas and just big to get around in. Yes, it's awesome for when I need to move something and even on long trips . . .

I am curious how people have found the '16 Sorento for drivability around a city environment, for long road trips, for gas mileage, for comfort (I'm tall) . . . and general durability.

Part of my thinks that I may look back and say -- how did I drive a truck around every day? But part of me also thinks that I will miss the big cabin space and the power of a big v8.

I like all the little details -- technology, leather, luxury stuff . . . but I also like to save $$$$.

Anyway, just interested in people's thoughts moving from a completely different type of vehicle. Thanks in advance.
I would look at what I've found out....

http://www.kia-forums.com/2016-sorento/203266-2016-sorento-sx-awd-review.html

·
Registered
189 Posts
Actually it's not abnormal because the missing items are related to every SX produced for 2016. And numerous posts about transmission issue's on various posts over a year range from 2016 back 8 years. The Nav issue relates to any SX produced up to about 6/15 until Kia updated the map software to work with the newer head unit. Yes, some of the specific issue's like the vibration and smashed headlite seems unique.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
altaski
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing