Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am relocating to Europe (The Netherlands) from Canada (Ottawa). I would like to bring my 2009 Rondo LX with me, but am concerned that service parts may not be available there.
Can anyone tell me whether the KIA Rondo and the KIA Karens share the same parts? If not, will a mechanic be able to get parts for my Rondo in Europe?
Love my Rondo. Want to take it with me!
Thank you all for your expert help.
Phil

·
Banned
79 Posts
In all honesty, you'd be better off just selling your Rondo here, and buying a new(er) car there when you move. Do some research and buy a reliable car that is fully serviceable over there, with good reviews etc. It's not like you're trying to take a rare Ferrari over there, or a 1956 Chevy that's irreplaceable, it's a Rondo lol.

I love my new car too, a 2012 Rondo, but if I were moving permanently to another country (that I could not drive to), I'd just sell it and buy something new when I get there. You're going to pay through the nose for shipping, fees, and possibly taxes etc for changing over the info, making it compliant with their eco laws etc etc etc. Not worth the hassle for just a regular commuter car in my opinion. :gitara:

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
I agree with Johnny sell it before you leave you will be much further ahead. The Rondo and the Carens are the same but the engines aren't. The 2.4L and 2.7L are only for North America.
What you save in shipping and what you will get for it here will probably buy you a decent one over there and save you a lot of hassle. If you take it and then want to sell it over there is will not have much value because of the engines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you conwelpic and Johnny_77 for the replies.

My work pays for the vast majority of the move, including import taxes/duties. The total all-in cost to me would be around $2100 (this includes insurance for the transit). I expect that this is a lot less than what I would lose in selling the car used here and buying another car in Europe. This is why I'm thinking of bringing it with me.
But if I can't get it serviced in Europe, then it's going to become useless the first time it needs work.
What do you think?

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,536 Posts
I thought I answered that when I said those engine are not available in Europe - its your choice, but I think you will regret if you do.
Over here you will get something for it, but in Europe not much at all, who's going to want it? Your warranty will not carry over there, its also quite possible the transmission will not be available in Europe. Who's going to be able to do any service on it without local availability of parts.

·
Banned
79 Posts
That's what the biggest issue is I believe, no matter how much you will save in not having to buy a new car vs what you will get for your car if you sell it, will be made MUCH worse when you need it fixed, serviced, parts etc. Think about it, every single time you get something done, fixed, serviced, they most likely will not have parts, at least when it comes to the engine parts for sure. Need an oil change? They won't have the filter, unless it matches a common part number used over there. Need a new transmission? Won't be covered under your warranty and will need to be shipped over to where you're moving. Do you know how much it would cost you to ship a transmission overseas? I am in shipping/warehousing/courier work and let me tell you, it's not cheap. Throw in duties, taxes, fees and you're looking at a headache every single time you need to order parts. And that's not the whole issue, think about it, EVERY single time you need the simplest part, it will have to be ordered in. I hate when that happens occasionally to me over here when I have to order in a part because they don't have it in stock, well imagine that happening EVERY single time you need any part? Will become very frustrating indeed. So even if your work is going to pay for a lot of it, I personally don't think that will be worth the hassle and headache once you are OVER there, but of course, it's your choice, and your car and your life. But me, I would just sell it here, and take that money and get a new domestic/locally available and serviceable vehicle over there where you're moving to. That's my .2 cents lol!

·
Registered
Current: 2007 Kia Rondo LX I4. Former: 2006 Kia Spectra5
226 Posts
I have to dissent, I have friends who have taken their cars when they moved to Europe and been happy with the experience. One in particular made a lot more money selling the vehicle in Europe then they would have here because the larger engines and vehicles are in demand over there. It's expensive to buy larger engines/vehicles new due to extra taxes on larger displacements and CO2 emissions, but not so much on used cars.

You'd take a bath on a 2012 Rondo in depreciation costs, as well. Take it with you.

·
Registered
Current: 2007 Kia Rondo LX I4. Former: 2006 Kia Spectra5
226 Posts
P.S.: that being said, Western Europe is probably the only part of the world outside of the US and Canada that I would consider taking my car with me to.

·
Premium Member
2016 FIAT 500X Trekking Plus AWD; 2016 Kia Forte5 SX 1.6T A/T
6,806 Posts
hmmm - cars in Europe are much more expensive.
Besides, if the relocation is temporary and it is paid - I would take it.

Parts for the engine are not widely available. Body - not a problem. Cares was offered.
Of course it is possible to get the parts ordered.
Warranty - unlikely KIA will transfer it.

Honestly, my initial plan was a temporary stay in the USA. Rondo would go with me back to Poland... and that's why I picked Rondo. Rear lights - no problem, headlights - rather OK (not really EU cutoff, but those are projectors). Others - it has everything ABS/EBD, ESC/TC, immobilizer, DRL... (Canada), so no problem to register in Holland.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul, 1.6hdi auto, in Mixx trim, White over Powder Blue
650 Posts
The only drawback I can see is the lack of that petrol engine over here in Europe, the rest will be identical to the Carens & saying that any Kia dealer should be able to order parts from the factory if necessary but you need to bear in mind there may be extra repair downtime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts