Kia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was on my way to work today, and i was on the interstate because i was running late, and while i was at an even idle at my normal cruising speed, my check engine light came on anf flashed 14 times and while it was flashing i lost power. any idea what it could be?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
His "sig" tells all...
Because you have been into the wiring for your tach modification I would start my looking there. If these wires shorted to ground or to each other this would "kill" your ignition (spark pulse).. I would also think that the 14 flashes were probably the shorted wires touching and not an error code as this car would have only OBDII codes and not engine light error code flashes..
Just some thoughts...
Dave

·
Registered
02 5speed Spectra, 93 F350 4x4 crew cab, 97 Explorer, 31 Model A
6 Posts
What kind of car is this? 02 Kia Spectra? Typically on an OBD2 system a flashing check engine light indicates a misfire severe enough to cause catalytic converter damage. Get the codes read and see what all is in there, at the very least it should tell you which cylinder(s) were misfiring.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
He has been playing with the speed sensor circuits trying to get a tach signal.
See his earlier posts....search
I'd bet that he has wiring problems as the spark plug timing is derived from the input speed sensor or the crank/cam sensors and any interruption with these signals will cause misfiring and a "critical" error and cause flashing of the check engine light...
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts