1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sedona 1997 Land Rover Discovery
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'06 Sedona, NAS.
How many quarts of oil does it take?
I dont have a owners manual for it yet and I cant find solid info on it with Google.
Also what oil do you guys normally use?

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
I am assuming you are in the US and have the 3.8L version. 5.5 Quarts. I buy a 5 quart jug, and one extra quart. Then I have .5 quart left for the next oil change.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I am in the US, thats why I said NAS (North American Spec).
5.5 qts. Thank you.
I always buy it by the gallon and save the extra for next time.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
You'll get all sorts of advice on type of oil. I like Castrol 10W-30 or 10W-40 (There isn't much difference between 30 and 40).

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
My Sedonas have had 5W-20 since they were brand new. 186,000 miles, and 212,000 miles. I use Mobil-1. I also get 27-28 MPG highway. Not bad for a 4,700 lb vehicle.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Choices in motor oil is like choices in women, we all have one type that we prefer, I prefer large breasted redheads.

I was planning on sticking with what I already use in everything else, Shell Rotella 5w-40 with 5,000 mile change intervals.
It is a full synthetic heavy duty motor oil.
I use it in everything except my lawnmower.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
I have only done two oil changes in my 2011 Sedona. First was with SuperTech 5w20, second was with Quaker State 5w20. Both regular oil, 3,750 mile interval. I would avoid the SuperTech...it runs better on the Quaker State. Next oil change will be with Mobil 1 5w20 full synthetic. 7,500 mile interval with filter change and top off halfway through. I tried the Pennzoil Ultra in my wife's Ford Escape and it seems to like the Mobil 1 better...runs a bit smoother.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont like any Pennzoil, I also tried the Ultra in my Land Rover one winter, she made noise like ball bearings in a dryer.
I also use the Rotella in my mother's '08 Escape 4 cylinder, it runs alot quieter than with the Motorcraft 5w-20 that was being used, I also changed it to 5,000 mile oil changes vs the 7500 the computer was set at.
I am not a fan of Mobil 1, I had a '06 Sprinter, at 162,change the engine blew up.
It had already eaten 3 turbo's.
It was dealer serviced every 10,000 miles (Mercedes said every 15,000) with Mobil 1 0w-40, rebuilt engine cost $12,000, that hurt.
Now it gets plain old diesel oil every 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
I have only done two oil changes in my 2011 Sedona. First was with SuperTech 5w20, second was with Quaker State 5w20. Both regular oil, 3,750 mile interval. I would avoid the SuperTech...it runs better on the Quaker State. Next oil change will be with Mobil 1 5w20 full synthetic. 7,500 mile interval with filter change and top off halfway through. I tried the Pennzoil Ultra in my wife's Ford Escape and it seems to like the Mobil 1 better... runs a bit smoother.
You'd have to be a bit keen to change the filter halfway through; I've never heard of anyone doing that before. Some change the filter every second oil change, but not the other way around. I used to do that on an old Ford Festiva, because the filter was hard to access without a hoist. Car went fine for a long time with only minor servicing every 2 years (incl. filter) and clean oil every year (Castrol GTX 15W-40).

Are you sure it runs a bit smoother? It would have to be a very poor oil or the wrong grade to make much difference IMHO. There's always a feeling that your car is going well after you've added something special to the engine. You can buy all types of bottled "Goo" that's supposed to fix your engine, and they wouldn't be able to sell it except for the placebo effect.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sedona LX
71 Posts
You'd have to be a bit keen to change the filter halfway through; I've never heard of anyone doing that before. Some change the filter every second oil change, but not the other way around. I used to do that on an old Ford Festiva, because the filter was hard to access without a hoist. Car went fine for a long time with only minor servicing every 2 years (incl. filter) and clean oil every year (Castrol GTX 15W-40).

Are you sure it runs a bit smoother? It would have to be a very poor oil or the wrong grade to make much difference IMHO. There's always a feeling that your car is going well after you've added something special to the engine. You can buy all types of bottled "Goo" that's supposed to fix your engine, and they wouldn't be able to sell it except for the placebo effect.
The 3.5L Lambda II engine in the 2011 models has a cartridge filter on the top of the engine, it's a breeze to change and not messy at all. As for the difference between the Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Ultra, the Escape felt smoother on the old Mobil 1 with 7000 miles on it than the new Pennzoil Ultra. Nothing scientific, just from driving it so much over the years it felt smoother, ran quieter, and had better pick up with the Mobil 1.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts