Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
05 Sorento 03 Eclipse
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 05 Sorento LX with a BAD engine. It does have 250k miles so thats pretty good testimony but the story goes like this,..the owner basically ignored a radiator leak and it overheated badly and died. He had a machine shop rebiuld the heads and a shadetree mechanic attempt to put it all back together. It was running horrible and there was a BAD oil/coolant mixing problem,..the oil looked like latte! The coolant was not real bad but had some latte colored oil floating on top. Anyway after paying $600 for it and towing it home, I did a compression test and all cylinders were 180-200 psi, all spark plugs looked good but found a busted ignition coil and the PCV valve hose missing, the large vacuum port at the lower intake manifold open to atmosphere and a fuel injector electrical connection busted. Also before I started the teardown I checked codes,..cylinders 3,4,5,6 had misfires and that was it! Considering I fix all the OBVIOUS issues with coils, injectors and vacuum lines and get the car running great,..what about the oil/coolant mixing? With good compression,..could it have a cracked BLOCK like the shadetree mechanic surrendered to? Could it be a leaky headgasket? OR HOW about a badly leaking oil cooler? Anyone ever heard of a badly leaking oil cooler? BTW I will check all timing marks tomorrow but I tend to believe they might be right with good compression on all cylinders!

·
Registered
2006 Kia Sorento 3.5 5sp Auto
267 Posts
i dont believe these have a engine oil cooler.
Only a transmission oil cooler.
Also what engine?
the 3.5?

·
Registered
05 Sorento 03 Eclipse
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tow package=engine cooler

Yes my Sorento has the 3.5 gas engine with tow package and the engine oil cooler mounted on the oil filter housing. Most modern SUV's vans and trucks with tow packages have some type of oil cooler and the Sorento has the little round unit mounted where the spin-on oil filter attaches.

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
If is an auto it could still be oil from the transmission in the coolant if the oil cooler in the radiator was damaged. Was the leaky radiator repaired or replaced?
What does the auto oil look look like?

Does it show other signs of a blown head gasket, the compression test would seem to suggest not. Perhaps it is traces of oil still in the engine from when it was blown. And yes it might be a cracked block, but these V6's are pretty tough so it must have been badly overheated to do that.

·
Registered
05 Sorento 03 Eclipse
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update,..HMMM

Well I have removed both cylinder heads after verifying the timing belt was properly installed. The heads do look like they have been resurfaced and had new valve stem seals installed. The deck surfaces on the block and cylinder heads are NOT warped at all. Like I earlier posted,..the oil was very badly emulsified with water and looked like it was over 50% water. The coolant had some of the emulsified oil mix floating on top but it was not nearly as bad as the oil. In fact when draining the radiator, the coolant looked very good until the very end of the drain when a little of the floating milky oil film came out. The head bolts felt properly torqued from my extensive experience in doing engine work,..the head gaskets were black coated MLS and didn't reveal anything to make me think they failed BUT these newer style MLS gaskets don't really give much evidence of failure. I also removed the oil filter-mounted oil cooler and tested it for leakage with negative results,..no leakage! I am tempted to install NEW MLS head gaskets, correct all the ignition coil, fuel injector, PCV valve, and open vacuum port problems and cross my fingers to see if this will fix it. Then again,..I have gone so far now in teardown,..I think it would be best to go ahead and pull the block, dissassemble it and check for cracks. HMMMM!

·
Registered
05 Sorento 03 Eclipse
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
More mistakes and worse

Well I decided to go ahead and completely tear down the engine and found a couple more BIG problems the previous mechanic and machine shop made. The head gaskets were swapped which among other possible problems,..it short circuits the cooling passages through the cylinder heads so that they have dramatically less cooling than they should. THEN I found the worst thing yet! Somebody put a phillips head screw-plug in the cylinder head oil supply passage ports. These are small 3/16" machined hole that are the ONLY way the camshafts and lifters get lubricated. I think the previous owner had an enemy or two! I will add pictures in future posts!

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
What the!! Don't people actually check that all the holes line up like they should when they replace a gasket?
There should be laws against selling tools to people like that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts