Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Elan 1997, Landrover LR3 2008
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

So my Kia Elan purchase is turning out to be more problematic. It was off the road for 6 weeks whilst I sourced a tensioner. So I have had it back about 10 days, took it for a long 90 minute drive the other day with no issues at all and I didn't put my foot down, just taking it easy. Parked her up at home and the next day went to go to work and there was a big engine rattling noise. When you press the clutch in, it goes away but when you start to drive off it comes back. So it sounds to me like a clutch bearing problem ( I had this in an older car years ago). So Again i ask for you help..
1: Do you think i am correct in my assessment
2: can anyone (Ron ;)) get me the part numbers or drawings for a clutch assembly?

So i need to start the long process of finding a clutch kit and bearing now. will keep you posted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
first step... what's my engine?

Hi all

So I need to start to source this new clutch assembly. The first step is how do I determine what engine i have in the car? I cant find an engine number, nor could RTA so it is blank on my registration card. I believe I have a 1st Generation T8D 1.8 but i only estimate that on the car being a 1997 and comparing it to other images of the same engine. Is there some way i can determine what it is for sure? I then need to order this clutch assembly.

Cheers
Mark

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,902 Posts
We are not ignoring your posts...
We are here and we are reading your posts...But because the KIA Elan was a "Frankenstein" (parts from all over and different KIA models) I'd suggest you wait until ron2004 gives you some part numbers...

I would think the transmission/clutch is probably different from the "stock" Sephia ones..More than likely different gear ratios, number of forward gears, and stronger clutch parts...Only time will tell..
Dave

·
Registered
Elan/Vigato/Roadster
45 Posts
looks like you have nearly all weak points discovered, Mark ;)

The clutch is only custom made for the Elan. There is no change possible to similar engine, gearbox variants from the Kia range.

Sadly, the clutch is also out of stock :eek:

BUT, we have developed a HD alternativ which is now 60.000 km in my car and still going strong. If you are still needing it, give me a sign.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,839 Posts
My apologies, I've only just now seen this thread - best send a PM next time.

OK954-16-410 Pressure plate and a search shows that it is shared with other Kia models and Mazda.

OK247-16-460B Clutch Plate - can't find that online, but pretty sure it is the same as the Sephia and Spectra.

OK247-16-510 or OK9A2-16-510 Clutch release bearing

I know many on the Korean Kia Club forum that have direct fitted performance clutch kits - I have no interest in that, but if you'd like I can ask on that forum.

·
Registered
Elan/Vigato/Roadster
45 Posts
My apologies, I've only just now seen this thread - best send a PM next time.
Please, don´t do things like these!

Otherwise we couldn´t keep in touch with problems of our cars all around the world, if somebody has fortunately found already a solution for just the same problem. The specific knowledge of our cars is very limited. How much more if don´t discuss the matters of our cars in the world wide web, especially on this board, and doing it instead via PM?

The market is such small, that it is even not enough demand for developing one solution. Two are definetely too much...

So if we had known, that there is already a better clutch, we haven´t done the the work with a new one.

That said, our solution covers 30% more power than stock, delivers a better feel, needs less "legpower" and costs almost half the price than stock. If you are interested, please give me a sign.

OK954-16-410 Pressure plate and a search shows that it is shared with other Kia models and Mazda.
where do you have this information from? The parts list quotes only 0K50-16-410 which is Elan related only?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,839 Posts
Please, don´t do things like these!

Otherwise we couldn´t keep in touch with problems of our cars all around the world, if somebody has fortunately found already a solution for just the same problem. The specific knowledge of our cars is very limited. How much more if don´t discuss the matters of our cars in the world wide web, especially on this board, and doing it instead via PM?

The market is such small, that it is even not enough demand for developing one solution. Two are definetely too much...

So if we had known, that there is already a better clutch, we haven´t done the the work with a new one.
I think that you're missing my point - if he had drawn my attention to this thread by PM, I'd have responded much sooner.
That said, our solution covers 30% more power than stock, delivers a better feel, needs less "legpower" and costs almost half the price than stock. If you are interested, please give me a sign.
Why not post whatever information you have?

where do you have this information from? The parts list quotes only 0K50-16-410 which is Elan related only?
From the Elan parts catalog.

Attachments

·
Registered
Elan/Vigato/Roadster
45 Posts
which is the release date of your version?

The partslists which is available in Europe via the Kia dealers shows the following:

·
Super Moderator
10,839 Posts
which is the release date of your version?

The partslists which is available in Europe via the Kia dealers shows the following:
This is the version released in Korea, which I have used for my 1999 model.

·
Registered
Elan/Vigato/Roadster
45 Posts
Interesting… our partslist is from 96/08. Is there any download or copy possibility from yours?

Concerning the clutch, follow the link: verstärkte-kupplung.de * verstärkte Kupplungen und Motorsportkupplungen

Sadly the shop is only in german language and the prices are old, but they deliver all over the world. If anybody needs some help with translating and/or ordering give me a sign, I will help soon.

·
Super Moderator
10,839 Posts
Interesting… our partslist is from 96/08. Is there any download or copy possibility from yours?
The PDF copy that I have is copy right protected to "Club Elan Korea", so best you post a request on their site (I recall that you are also a member with them).

I have found it 100% reliable with the exception of the factory upgrades such as the front brake system.

·
Registered
Elan/Vigato/Roadster
45 Posts
very interesting... my partslist has a release date on the cover of 1996-08 and the pictures and text is labeled with 1998-12 :) whereas the korean version has a filename with 1998 and the sides are wearing 1996-08 :eek: (compare the dates on our examples at the bottom, right)

Nevertheless, hopefully we get the items we need for the cars to hold them on the tarmac, regardless which date the partslist have :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for really late reply

Hi Gents

So sorry its been nearly a month since I put the message up there about my clutch! So the car is now in a KIA workshops with the engine in bits! They thought they had everything they needed and the initial problem was the bearing had gone. So that is replaced but now I need to find a clutch plate. They (KIA) cant find one in their system.

So this German one... can you send me more details and how quickly can you get it to Dubai?

Cheers
Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts